Sam Gawith Tobaccos Back In Stock at TobaccoPipes.com

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers

Sam Gawith Tobaccos Back In Stock at TobaccoPipes.com

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:11 pm

England has released a small quantity to the Colonies. No telling when we'll see any more.....

SG Best Brown Flake in tins and 250g boxes

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/samuel-gaw ... tocknotify

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake in tins & 250 g boxes

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/samuel-gaw ... e-tobacco/

Much cheaper by the box. There may be other of your SG favorites available, too, but I did not look.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55

Re: Sam Gawith Tobaccos Back In Stock at TobaccoPipes.com

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:55 pm

Because you like it
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:03 pm

:thumbsup:
DL Jake

It’s a little smooshed, but seems to be intact. - Gabriel

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:27 pm

That's good news. I can get literally none in to my shop right now.

The bottlenecks happening in the supply chain for cigars and pipe tobacco are unprecedented and while I deprecate hoarding as nothing more than worship at the idol of greed, I strongly suggest that you buy a reasonable supply to meet your personal needs when you find what you like available.

This advice applies to imported tobacco, specifically German and English imports. Anything under the General Cigar umbrella, including Peterson and Stokkebye, is coming in no questions asked.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:11 am

Thank you! Squadron Leader, FVF, Lakeland Dark, all on their way 😃
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:54 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:27 pm

This advice applies to imported tobacco, specifically German and English imports. Anything under the General Cigar umbrella, including Peterson and Stokkebye, is coming in no questions asked.
Is it merely a matter of supply, in that the big giant STG simply produces a crapton more product such that the shortages on anything they produce are rare and short-lived? I understand that the G&H brand, like Germains, is kinda small-batch, boutique stuff, but is Sam Gawith stuff on a similar small-batch scale? And how does Kolhase & Kopp fit into this? IIRC, they are responsible for production of Rattray's & Robert McConnell's (among others).

I guess what I'm wondering is how much of this is supply vs demand and how much of it is weird international trade stuff. Like are Danish imports getting in quick and easy while German and English imports have a bunch of red tape.
[Insert pithy quote here]

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 am

It's all international trade. English pipe tobacco is basically made by drunken squirrels who screw off half the time anyway, not counting a government shutdown. German manufacturers ship by slow boat, and US customs is backlogged.

I dont know whether STG had a slowdown, but I know they're a giant organization distributed by a real powerhouse and we don't seem to be looking at a problem for the foreseeable future.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:57 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 am
It's all international trade. English pipe tobacco is basically made by drunken squirrels who screw off half the time anyway, not counting a government shutdown. German manufacturers ship by slow boat, and US customs is backlogged.

I dont know whether STG had a slowdown, but I know they're a giant organization distributed by a real powerhouse and we don't seem to be looking at a problem for the foreseeable future.
Former brewery sales rep here with an industry question. Are you getting G&H blends from a distributor? If so, is the supply problem them not getting enough product from the UK or is it just production related? Every time I see a video of a pipe smoker in England they always have these blends and they seem to be on every tobacconists shelves over there too.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:39 am

I saw this comment posted by Chris Gawith in the Gawith Hoggarth Facebook group. Apparently our lovely FDA is gubermenting things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:54 pm

arank87 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:57 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 am

Former brewery sales rep here with an industry question. Are you getting G&H blends from a distributor? If so, is the supply problem them not getting enough product from the UK or is it just production related? Every time I see a video of a pipe smoker in England they always have these blends and they seem to be on every tobacconists shelves over there too.
It's a distributor and, to be honest, the problem is both importation and production from British companies such as Gawith and Germain's.
—Marcus Aurelius

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:02 am

4Noggins now also has Samuel Gawith products back in stock....

https://4noggins.com/samuel-gawith-best ... -250g.html

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:23 am

Adam Z wrote:I saw this comment posted by Chris Gawith in the Gawith Hoggarth Facebook group. Apparently our lovely FDA is gubermenting things up.

The Gawith family needs to come to an agreement on what their story is to be. Chris says it’s an FDA thing. Rachel says it is not a FDA issue but a supply/demand & distribution thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:58 am

It’s gotta be production based. Same with Germaine. Can’t/won’t make enough to satisfy demand. Not sure which but demand clearly outpaces supply.

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:01 pm

Sounds like GH needs a better demand planer and or logistics manager. Alright, I’ll take the job and move the UK. If you want something done right sometimes you have to do it yourself!

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:31 pm

arank87 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:01 pm
Sounds like GH needs a better demand planer and or logistics manager. Alright, I’ll take the job and move the UK. If you want something done right sometimes you have to do it yourself!
Once you get settled in, get me on board in Quality Control. I'll take a corner office with a nice view. My job shall consist of being paid to sit in my office and smoke the many blends that are produced there, giving feedback on the quality of the product that I've sampled each day.

And I'll need a pie allowance. :pie:

Not just anybody can enjoy smoking pure nicotine (of which appx 40% of the G&H blends are minor variants thereof). It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:31 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:31 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:01 pm
Once you get settled in, get me on board in Quality Control. I'll take a corner office with a nice view. My job shall consist of being paid to sit in my office and smoke the many blends that are produced there, giving feedback on the quality of the product that I've sampled each day.

And I'll need a pie allowance. :pie:

Not just anybody can enjoy smoking pure nicotine (of which appx 40% of the G&H blends are minor variants thereof). It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.
:rotfl: hey what’s in this? Uh, mostly nicotine and also my grandmas perfume. It’s good just smoke it.

My office would just be billowing smoke and Phish blaring. I’m not sure if that’s the kind of optics they want.