March's Tobacco Group Review(Better Late Than Never!?)

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
ryland
More of this
More of this

March's Tobacco Group Review(Better Late Than Never!?)

Post by ryland » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:21 pm

Hey Guys. Sorry it's so late about getting March's tobacco review out.

This month's tobacco is McClelland Smyrna No.1. The tin description from smokingpipe.com says, "Back when Istanbul was Constantinople, Izmir tobacco was Smyrna. "A rose by any other name..." These tiny, top-grade tobacco leaves from mountainous Western Turkey across from the Island of Khlos have long been prized as the most aromatic of all Orientals. They grown dense and extremely fragrant in this dry country moistened by Mediterranean Sea breezes. Smyrna is the defining ingredient in this sophisticated Oriental blend.
Also, there's a whole Smyrna leaf on the inside top of the tin-- leaves of oriental varietals are quite small compared to the Virginias and Burleys that most of us would readily recognize."

Just post to this thread when you review. Have Fun!
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

JohnnyO
Usher
Usher

Post by JohnnyO » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm

Received my tin yesterday and decided to open it first [rather than maltese falcon being smoked in my new pipe!] and smoked one bowl in a bent Savinelli natural which has been my VA pipe lately.
This is my review based on only one bowl so far, will smoke more within the coming weeks.
The smell in the tin was amazing. Little McClelland ketchup smell vs. some of their other blends. I spent a few minutes sniffing out the tin, and to me it smelled of sweet allspice and clove with a bit of virginia tang in the background. The Smyrna leaf on top was a beautiful little yellow leaf about 2" long and a half inch wide. The moisture level seemed a bit dryer than most McC blends I've had.
The long ribbons loaded easily into the pipe and light easily. Upon lightup I was greeted with a wonderful allspice aroma...but it was a little too spicey. I like to sniff the puff of smoke at it leaves my mouth, and this stuff stung my nostrils and made me cough once or twice. The top third was a decent smoke, turning harsh in the middle third with several puffs leaving me with a fermenting grass clippings aftertaste. The first third or two I felt like I was smoking the SG Christmas mixtures, as they are flavored with clove cinnamon and nutmeg and can be rather harsh. I continued on puffing away, trying to puff slower, and the last third of the bowl was rich and pleasant. We'll have to see what other pipes yield as far as the middle of the bowl nastiness goes. Overall, I'd say it was ok, maybe 2.5 stars, 3 stars if it settles down.

Pics of the tin/mixture/leaf will be added to my photobucket soon!
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o102 ... t/Tobacco/

4thmedbn
Minister of Cheesy Bunions
Minister of Cheesy Bunions

Post by 4thmedbn » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:15 pm

YAY! I've been wanting to try this since I red Doug's review..

GrabowGuy
I get no stars, and will like it.

Post by GrabowGuy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:12 pm

JohnnyO wrote:Received my tin yesterday and decided to open it first [rather than maltese falcon being smoked in my new pipe!] and smoked one bowl in a bent Savinelli natural which has been my VA pipe lately.
This is my review based on only one bowl so far, will smoke more within the coming weeks.
The smell in the tin was amazing. Little McClelland ketchup smell vs. some of their other blends. I spent a few minutes sniffing out the tin, and to me it smelled of sweet allspice and clove with a bit of virginia tang in the background. The Smyrna leaf on top was a beautiful little yellow leaf about 2" long and a half inch wide. The moisture level seemed a bit dryer than most McC blends I've had.
The long ribbons loaded easily into the pipe and light easily. Upon lightup I was greeted with a wonderful allspice aroma...but it was a little too spicey. I like to sniff the puff of smoke at it leaves my mouth, and this stuff stung my nostrils and made me cough once or twice. The top third was a decent smoke, turning harsh in the middle third with several puffs leaving me with a fermenting grass clippings aftertaste. The first third or two I felt like I was smoking the SG Christmas mixtures, as they are flavored with clove cinnamon and nutmeg and can be rather harsh. I continued on puffing away, trying to puff slower, and the last third of the bowl was rich and pleasant. We'll have to see what other pipes yield as far as the middle of the bowl nastiness goes. Overall, I'd say it was ok, maybe 2.5 stars, 3 stars if it settles down.

Pics of the tin/mixture/leaf will be added to my photobucket soon!
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o102 ... t/Tobacco/
Those Savinelli Naturals are good aren't they?
In time it will soak the oils from your hands and take on its own unique color.
COBS SUCK!

JohnnyO
Usher
Usher

Post by JohnnyO » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:36 pm

GrabowGuy wrote:
Those Savinelli Naturals are good aren't they?
In time it will soak the oils from your hands and take on its own unique color.
Yup! I rub my hands all over it almost everyday and it is a nice dark brown color...An excellent smoker, great price, I just wish it took the balsa wood filters

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:37 pm

Just smoked my third bowl of Smyrna No. 1 and thought I'd give a few impressions. Normally, I'd smoke a few more bowls first, but this tobacco seems consistent enough to go ahead.

My tin contains the requisite Smyrna (Izmir) leaf and a full tin of fine ribbon-cut tobacco along with some smaller cut pieces. Most of the tobacco is quite reddish (red Virginia?) with some black pieces of varying size. The tin aroma is what grabs me immediately - it's great! It smells very sweet with some kind of a spicy smell, like something I might have smelled in my grandmother's kitchen years ago. If this stuff smoked like it smells, I'd try my best to lay in a lifetime supply. As with most tobaccos, however, this is not the case, nor should it be, necessarily.

I smoked my first two bowls right out of the tin in two different pipes. The tobacco felt a bit moist, but it lit up and burned fine. I've taken to packing my bowls a bit lighter these days, so this may have sped up the burn a bit. I could tell absolutely no difference in flavor or burning characteristics between the two pipes, hence my comment above about its consistency.

The taste of the Smyrna reminded me at once of other oriental tobaccos I've smoked, mainly Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and Durbar. There is a sweetness to this tobacco, though for me it was very subtle. The taste varied very little from start to finish, though I would say that there may have been an occasional variation that you could miss if you weren't paying attention. Fortunately, I was able to smoke all three bowls in a relatively undisturbed fashion.

I went about the third bowl a bit differently. I spread some tobacco out on a paper towel and let it sit for approximately 5-1/2 hours while we took our son back to school from spring break. When I sat down to pack the pipe, I noticed that the strands of tobacco seemed very dry, almost brittle, but they didn't break apart when I handled them. Upon lighting and drawing on the pipe, I could tell no difference from the other two bowls - again, what seems like a very consistent tobacco.

Consistency notwithstanding, I'll finish smoking the tin before I decide whether or not I like Smyrna No. 1. Right now, I'm on the fence. If forced to decide now, I'd probably say that I like Izmir tobacco better in a blend that might produce a more "complex" smoke; i.e., one where two or more flavors assert themselves throughout the bowl. So far, Smyrna comes across to me as a bit monochromatic. I've thought this about other blends, but with most of those I really liked the particular "chromatic" that came across. The one in Smyrna doesn't thrill me at this point but, as I said, I have most of a tin left to smoke. Here's to perseverance and anticipation of great things.

EDIT, 4-28-08 Smoked some more of this tobacco in still a different pipe, this time a Grabow Regal that I have dedicated to Virginias. I'm liking Smyrna #1 better and better. The tobacco is still consistent, but now more consistently sweet - some time with the tin unsealed may have made the difference. If the tin finishes out like this, I'll probably buy another one.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

ryland
More of this
More of this

Re: March's Tobacco Group Review(Better Late Than Never!?)

Post by ryland » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Anyone interested in resurrecting the short lived tobacco group review?
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:07 pm

ryland wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:45 pm
Anyone interested in resurrecting the short lived tobacco group review?
Was never in this the first go-'round, please tell us more.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:16 pm

It's been ten years, so the details are fuzzy. Also only did it a couple of times.

A tobacco is chosen for a month. Those who want to will buy some, smoke it and review it in a thread.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:49 pm

ryland wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:16 pm
It's been ten years, so the details are fuzzy. Also only did it a couple of times.

A tobacco is chosen for a month. Those who want to will buy some, smoke it and review it in a thread.
You seem like a wild and crazy guy. Am I right?

Let's do this!
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:00 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:49 pm
ryland wrote:

Let's do this!
It's a nonstop thrill ride.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:18 pm

ryland wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:00 pm
hugodrax wrote:
ryland wrote:

Let's do this!
It's a nonstop thrill ride.
Life always is, sir. Thanks for the review of the White Rose. I'm about to pull the trigger.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:01 pm

hugodrax wrote:
ryland wrote:

Let's do this!
Agreed. I'm in.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

rgcurrey
Usher
Usher

Post by rgcurrey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:22 pm

I would give it a go just to smoke and talk about the same tobacco as the others at the same time and therefore try to learn more about identifying and describing the different attributes of said tobacco.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28