Ketogenic lifestyle

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Ketogenic lifestyle

Post by Cleon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:04 am

Jester wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:57 am
Jocose wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:34 pm
Jocose wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:02 pm
I'm down 40 pounds.

I bought new pants and shirts yesterday.
The "new" pants that I bought 5 days ago are now too big.

I (my wife actually) dug the tags out of the garbage can yesterday and am going to exchange them.

I bought a new belt.

That is all.
https://www.slidebelts.com/
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:45 am

Cleon wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:04 am
Jester wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Jocose wrote:
I'm down 40 pounds.

I (my wife actually) dug the tags out of the garbage can yesterday and am going to exchange them.

I bought a new belt.

That is all.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:58 pm

I'm now down 13 pounds. I'll wait for another 20 to come off before I start getting new clothes.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:40 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:58 pm
I'm now down 13 pounds. I'll wait for another 20 to come off before I start getting new clothes.
:chili:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:44 am

My wife is also doing keto. The other day I pissed her off..

As I stood on the scale she said "I'm only down 1 ounce from yesterday!"

I looked at the scale and yelled "hahahaaha, you're down only an ounce?! I'm down another 4 pounds!!"

She cursed at me as I was laughing uncontrollably..

:lol:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:13 am

I've been at it for 3 1/2 weeks now and I'm down 14 pounds. :bacon: :cheese:
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:08 pm

We t on vacation last week, 3 days in and I fell off of the keto-wagon.

I ate pizza, and chicken fried steak with potatoes and a biscuit and other garbage.

I've never been so sick. After getting back home I water fasted for 2 days and am back on track.

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:37 am

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:51 pm
I’m thinking about starting this diet soon. But. . .

Keto diet risk evidence from “5300 year old iceman”
Oh that I only had AMJ's way with words to describe how much of a nothingburger this 'article' is in reference to a ketogenic diet (lifestyle). "Ancient man found to have died in fight; stomach contents showed he lived approximately 100 miles (and 5270 years) away from the nearest coffee shop pastry counter"
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:48 am

A keto diet works well for losing weight if I do not exercise. I'll lose overall weight, yes. But, IMO, and how it has worked for me - if I want to build muscle and lose fat, I have to lift some weight, do some cardio, and eat a balanced amount of good, complex carbs to fuel the workouts. Otherwise I feel drained and therefore won't do any of it. It certainly is possible for some to exercise on a keto diet, but I can't. If my goal is to lose more weight, I simply take in less calories than I burn. If I want to gain weight, I eat more. Exercise is still a must. Sedentary lifestyle is a killer for me.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:58 am

Cleon wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:48 am
A keto diet works well for losing weight if I do not exercise. I'll lose overall weight, yes. But, IMO, and how it has worked for me - if I want to build muscle and lose fat, I have to lift some weight, do some cardio, and eat a balanced amount of good, complex carbs to fuel the workouts. Otherwise I feel drained and therefore won't do any of it. It certainly is possible for some to exercise on a keto diet, but I can't. If my goal is to lose more weight, I simply take in less calories than I burn. If I want to gain weight, I eat more. Exercise is still a must. Sedentary lifestyle is a killer for me.
How long have you tried the keto before determining this? Just curious because it would likely be typical that a period of adapting to the diet will take time as the body learns to convert fat into energy. For my part, I usually feel far more energy on low carb diets, but my social life makes the diet hard to stick with. Not to mention cold beer or ice cream.
Last edited by Thunktank on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:03 am

Cleon wrote:
+1 on this. Here in this humidity working outside all weekend, I was alarmed that my sweaty clothes smelled of ammonia. I loaded up on carbs for a couple days, and I think I'm better now.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:58 am

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:58 am
Cleon wrote:
How long have you tried the keto before determining this? Just curious because it would likely be typical that a period of adapting to the diet will take time as the body learns to convert fat into energy. For my part, I usually feel far more energy on low carb diets, but my social life makes the diet hard to stick with. Not to mention cold beer or ice cream.
Maybe 4-5 weeks earlier in the spring. It worked, but I was also not exercising much on purpose. When I picked up the workouts again, I just could not manage it and I didn't want to be sedentary just to let my body get more accustomed to no carbs...so, I'm comfortable with a low carb diet for general overall health.

But, if I want to try to break a personal record in, say, running 1.5k I'll even carb up ahead of time and maybe even take in some glucose. For sure after a heavy lifting workout I will have some form of protein and a quick carb or else I'm drained.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:09 pm

Cleon wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:58 am
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:58 am
Cleon wrote:
Maybe 4-5 weeks earlier in the spring. It worked, but I was also not exercising much on purpose. When I picked up the workouts again, I just could not manage it and I didn't want to be sedentary just to let my body get more accustomed to no carbs...so, I'm comfortable with a low carb diet for general overall health.

But, if I want to try to break a personal record in, say, running 1.5k I'll even carb up ahead of time and maybe even take in some glucose. For sure after a heavy lifting workout I will have some form of protein and a quick carb or else I'm drained.
Gotcha! Thanks.

It’s been a long time since I was in state of ketosis, many years. I don’t remember it in relation to excersize. I have cut way back on carbs however to good effect, though not intaking as much fat as this keto diet suggests either. I think for me, a balanced diet of mostly Whole Foods is where it’s at. Less ice cream anyway.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:26 am

COCONUT OIL IS ‘PURE POISON,’ SAYS HARVARD PROFESSOR
Michels is the latest to question the health benefits of coconut oil. Last year, the American Heart Association updated its science advisory, urging the public to avoid consuming coconut oil if possible.
I love, love, love coconut oil. Tastes soooo good.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:11 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:03 am
Cleon wrote:
+1 on this. Here in this humidity working outside all weekend, I was alarmed that my sweaty clothes smelled of ammonia. I loaded up on carbs for a couple days, and I think I'm better now.
So, has anyone else doing the ketosis diet noticed an ammonia odor with sweaty conditions? I asked both of my doctors, and neither of them appear to even have an opinion. Only one offered advice; "drink plenty of water".
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:44 am

I'm not doing keto, but I wanted to give you guys props for your success. Stay strong and keep it up.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:46 am

Jester wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Jocose wrote:
I'm down 40 pounds.

I bought a new belt.

That is all.
He didn't say he wanted to look like a doofus, Jester.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:21 am

Back on track, now down 15 lbs today.
hugodrax wrote:

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:34 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:21 am
Boom

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:37 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:34 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:21 am
Boom
Nice thing is, BBQ is no problem on this diet.
hugodrax wrote: