to smoke or not to smoke

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by nosferatu » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:54 pm

LG, if it causes that much of an issue with your wife then don't smoke. But I would show her the 1964 Surgeon General's Report (the only report that differentiates between cigarettes, pipes, and cigars). It shows that moderate pipe and cigar smokers (being less than 10 pipes or cigars a day) live roughly about the same amount of time as nonsmokers.

Also from the report:

"The fact that the over-all death rates of pipe and cigar smokers show little if any increase over non-smokers is very difficult to reconcile with a concept of high nicotine toxicity. In view of the mortality ratios of pipe and cigar smokers, it follows logically that the apparent increase in morbidity and mortality among cigarette smokers relates to exposure to substances in smoke other than nicotine."

As far as any "Christian" reasons, there really are none, but smoking a pipe does force you to relax (which in turn will de-stress you - something your family will love, I am sure) and gives you time to think. Plus, pipe smoking is simply awesome 8)

SmilinEric
Congregation
Congregation

Post by SmilinEric » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:13 am

I am fortunate as my wife encouraged me to get started since she knew I enjoy the smell of a pipe. I also have drinks and smoke pipes/cigars with my pastor and a few guys from my church on some Thursday nights so I have never feet like a second class Christian.

However, I agree with nosferatu. If it's a choice between the wife and a pipe you have to put your pipe away, but before you do that I think a good old fashioned conversation about it would be helpful before making any snap decisions. If your wife is merely concerned with your health you should be able to alleviate some of her concerns in a non-argumentative manner.

As far as Christian arguments for or against smoking I personally don't see it as a "Christian" issue other than how it is affecting two Christians, namely you and your wife. Any scripture I've seen used for or against has been quite a stretch. The real issue here is coming to a resolution with your wife. Good Luck!
Last edited by SmilinEric on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Re: to smoke or not to smoke

Post by A_Morley » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:32 am

libraryguy wrote:How have you responded to wives or family members who dislike smoking?
I smoke more in hopes that it will make them go away.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

TomT_90GT
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by TomT_90GT » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:52 am

Not much to add to the humorous and serious replies already given.
Personally, I was always (and still am) a cigarette hater...blame it on the chain-smoking parents and my early hay fever...too sensitive a schnooz, I guess.

Other than a brief experimentation with a pipe in my college years (tobacco, not the "other" stuff!), I have not smoked until taking up cigars and pipes just this year. I did some digging (think there's also some stuff in the Library section here, not positive), and to my educated mind, I'd agree that 2-3 pipes and/or cigars a day is moderate, and poses no real health threat.

WARNING: I have read that (ex-)cigarette smokers ARE at increased risk, only because even when they believe they aren't inhaling, they may be, more so than those who never smoked ciggys. So...be careful!

Personally opinion only: I think it is important to learn to puff gently on the pipe. The reason I first gave it up back in my 20s, was because I now know I was experiencing "tongue bite". I used to think it was the nicotine, etc doing bad things, and worried about cancer. I know believe it is more due to the heat from puffing too hard, but I'd still worry about THAT leading to cancer, so try and go slow.

If it isn't in the library, do a search or contact me...there is an excellent monograph or two out there by a medical doctor who refutes a lot of the "scientific" studies purporting to show ALL tobacco use equally harmful. Anytime someone DOES do a credible job of trying to scientifically study the evidence, it DOES tend to support moderate NON-INHALATION is safer.

libraryguy
Congregation
Congregation

update

Post by libraryguy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Hey folks,
Last fall I decided to go ahead and smoke. I got a Missouri Meerschaum wood pipe and some PA from the discount tobacco store (so I didn't blow the family budget!). My wife still isn't totally convinced and I don't do it around her. Thanks for all the advice (humorous and serious alike). I may yet decide with my wife to quit, but for now I enjoy smoking when I have the occasional "guy" time in the garage (a couple times a month).
LG

donkeymule
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: update

Post by donkeymule » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:30 pm

libraryguy wrote:Hey folks,
Last fall I decided to go ahead and smoke. I got a Missouri Meerschaum wood pipe and some PA from the discount tobacco store (so I didn't blow the family budget!). My wife still isn't totally convinced and I don't do it around her. Thanks for all the advice (humorous and serious alike). I may yet decide with my wife to quit, but for now I enjoy smoking when I have the occasional "guy" time in the garage (a couple times a month).
LG
Happy smoking! Just remember to be respectful of the wife and she should be fine.When I 1st started smoking a pipe my wife was against it - now she does not mind it and at times even encourages it. I dont smoke in the house and try to be respectful and not annoy her with it. :D

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:06 am

I am just absolutely amazed that 2 of your 3 posts are almost an entire year apart on the same thread...

that's gotta be some sort of a record...(unless yer a sock puppet or a troll :| )
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:52 am

I just read these posts for the first time. The question "To smoke or not to smoke?" sort of reminds me of hearing a forecast of rain on a bright and sunny morning and deciding whether to take an umbrella with you or not.

There are many factors that come into play. I have never heard a report by doctor of psychologist discussing the possible contributing factors that suggest that pipe-smokers live longer. I immediately go to the fact of it being relaxing and prompts a quiet, contemplative spirit, creating less stress.

As to any biblical basis for or against pipe-smoking, I agree with the moderation argument, but I think of God creating the tobacco plant, the coffee bean and the grape. The Bible encourages drinking wine, Jesus made many gallons of it, and it even says that wine makes the heart merry. To have a "merry" heart, takes several glasses of wine. Cannot this argument apply to several pipe-fulls?

My wife enjoys the aroma of most tobaccos smoked, but does not enjoy the smoke blowing directly into her face; but neither do I. I agree with Del's suggestion to pick a tobacco with a great aroma, and ease into it.
I have never heard a person - yet - who hates the smell of pipe tobacco.

Interesting things to think on.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake