The Beer Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
twentyoneeight
Ekki-Ekki-5star-PTANG
Ekki-Ekki-5star-PTANG

The Beer Thread

Post by twentyoneeight » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:27 pm

Ladies, Gentlemen, and CPS,

I do not drink beer. I haven't found one that I like. I don't know what I'm looking for. I have tried Sam Adams Boston Lager (couldn't even swallow the stuff-go ahead, snigger all you want), Dos Equis (which wasn't terrible), Guiness (I'm not sure what I thought of this), Blue Moon, and Killian's Red. Help me. I want to enjoy beer. I don't. I need suggestions, tips, encouragements, etc. Go!
"Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who. "

mstg99
Rude, Callous, and Demeaning
Rude, Callous, and Demeaning

Post by mstg99 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:31 pm

I am opting out of the optional signature.

twentyoneeight
Ekki-Ekki-5star-PTANG
Ekki-Ekki-5star-PTANG

Post by twentyoneeight » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:32 pm

Also, my dad was an alcoholic when I was a kid. That left a pretty significant impression on me. I don't want to become like him so I am very cautious when it comes to alcohol. He would drink German beers while we lived in Germany and Milwaukee’s Best while in the states. I'm fairly certain that The Beast isn't good beer.
"Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who. "

justynblack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by justynblack » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:43 pm

My suggestion is to start with lighter colored beers and work your way up to the dark stuff. Try a lot of different ones and keep an open mind. As your tastes sharpen and evolve, go back and try the ones you didn't like before, you may be surprised.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:51 pm

justynblack wrote:My suggestion is to start with lighter colored beers and work your way up to the dark stuff. Try a lot of different ones and keep an open mind. As your tastes sharpen and evolve, go back and try the ones you didn't like before, you may be surprised.
Hate to do this, but I'm going to contradict this advice. I assumed for years that I just didn't like beer. Turned out I just didn't care for light, American style lager. I eventually tried a dark ale and realized the truth. I didn't dislike beer, I disliked crappy beer. 8)

For years I would only drink dark, dark beer/ale. My tastes have expanded now, and I can find a role for others, but if I had "worked my way up" to darker beer from lighter beer I would have quit and never found the ales that I really enjoy.

That being said... why do you feel it necessary to enjoy beer? If you don't like it, then you don't like it. No shame in that. I dislike grapefruit, so I don't eat it. Just sayin....
Sola Deo Gloria

Zed
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser

Post by Zed » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:01 pm

If you dont like beer then let it go. Not everyone likes what everyone else likes.

I myself am not much of a beer drinker. I have wanted to but never really got into it. I like sweet tea it is my staple drink.

After trying many different beers I always want to go back to my tea. However, a guy turned me onto Paulaner Hefe Weizen. So now on the rare occasion I actually want to drink a beer I will have this. it is my only beer. perhaps you are the same way???? if so you will just have to keep trying until you find your only beer.
YEAH COBS

Moe_Meerschaum
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Moe_Meerschaum » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:05 pm

Maybe you just don't have a taste for it. Do you like bitter flavors generally? If not, then you probably won't like beer.

The men in my wife's family and their acquaintances -- all Serbs -- like cognac. It's too sweet and syrupy for me, and it just doesn't agree with me generally, so I've stopped trying to like it and take a pass when it is offered. I will take some Canadian or bourbon, though.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:05 pm

Most medium sized & larger towns have a "brew pub" or two. I know Louisville has a few. They'll have a bunch of beers on tap (ranging from mellow to stout) and will sell you a variety of shots to try. Much like a local tobacconist (sp?) the bar tender will be happy to recomend a few selections for your tasting.

An added bonus is that every brew-pub I've ever been to has excellent cheesburgers & fries.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:10 pm

FredS wrote:Most medium sized & larger towns have a "brew pub" or two. I know Louisville has a few. They'll have a bunch of beers on tap (ranging from mellow to stout) and will sell you a variety of shots to try. Much like a local tobacconist (sp?) the bar tender will be happy to recomend a few selections for your tasting.

An added bonus is that every brew-pub I've ever been to has excellent cheesburgers & fries.
Excellent advice. +1 (plus they usually have better beer)
Sola Deo Gloria

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:20 pm

Gabriel wrote:
FredS wrote:Most medium sized & larger towns have a "brew pub" or two. I know Louisville has a few. They'll have a bunch of beers on tap (ranging from mellow to stout) and will sell you a variety of shots to try. Much like a local tobacconist (sp?) the bar tender will be happy to recomend a few selections for your tasting.

+2

JustJohnny
Congregation
Congregation

Post by JustJohnny » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:48 pm

Check out Ratebeer.com

When money is not an option, I like the Sierra Nevada line, especially their seasonals. I like their pale ale, and wheat beers too.

Otherwise I like cheap old yuengling.

justynblack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by justynblack » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Since we are throwing out beer websites, this is the one I like: http://beeradvocate.com/

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:49 am

Most brewpubs will also have a sampler available. It is usually 4 different beers in small 4-6 ounce glasses for you to try.

I also come from a family of alcoholics and for years I would not try alcohol for fear that I would become that which I despised growing up. Eventually I learned that moderation and self control are the key.

Also did not like beer for a long time because the stuff I was trying was the cheap swill most people seem to drink not for the taste, but to get drunk on the cheap. I found that I like red beers and ales as long as they are not too bitter. Not a fan of the bitter stuff. Some bitterness is fine, but I really like beers that bring the sweet taste of the malt forward.

You may want to try some hard cider if beer is not your thing. I drink more cider than I do beer.

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:59 am

Gabriel wrote:

+3

But if it helps, I dont like whiskey.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Bonnie
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Bonnie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:11 am

Zed wrote:If you dont like beer then let it go. Not everyone likes what everyone else likes.

I myself am not much of a beer drinker. I have wanted to but never really got into it. I like sweet tea it is my staple drink.

After trying many different beers I always want to go back to my tea. However, a guy turned me onto Paulaner Hefe Weizen. So now on the rare occasion I actually want to drink a beer I will have this. it is my only beer. perhaps you are the same way???? if so you will just have to keep trying until you find your only beer.
There really is nothing that says you must like beer. I was exclaiming to my husband how I couldn't believe anyone wouldn't like it, and he reminded me not everyone has the same tastes.

Not everyone likes unsweetened coffee and not everyone likes peanut butter, and not everyone likes watermelon, even.

That said, I like whiskey and unsweetened chocolate.

And, there is definitely no reason that you *must* drink alcohol at all! Save your money and buy more pipes ;)

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:25 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

+2
+3

The only thing I would add is that you may need to do this a number of times to really start to develop a taste for it. I never liked beer until a couple of years ago. Then my son started introducing me to some excellent beers from local bottlers.

Also, I never liked the lighter stuff and prefer the darker beers (right from the start) so if you like strong tastes (Balkan Blends/Dark Coffee, etc) you may want to dive right into the dark brews.

DixieTexian
Elder
Elder

Post by DixieTexian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:09 pm

If you try anything enough and want to like it, you will generally start to develope a taste for it. I would find one that is the most tolerable to drink and drink it while doing something you enjoy. That way you phsycologically associate it with an activity that you like. If you do that, you will learn to like the flavors that you didn't really care for before because you associate them with that particular activity.

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:41 am

You could try lambics, they are best described as having a wine like flavor. They also have lambics that are fermented with fruit giving them sweetness and fruity flavor.

Beeradvocate.com is a good site.

As an aside, here is site describing how beers develop off flavors.

Ultimately, if you don't like beer, you don't like beer. Personally I don't like wine.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:07 am

Sounds like I'm in good company as usual.

I too thought I hated beer, until I discovered ale. Dark ale. In fact it was quite like my "conversion" to reformed theology. I grew up only knowing wishy washy, law saturated, dispensationalism (=Light American Crap Beer) but then I discovered a whole new world that I had never been shown before in reformed theology (=the those wonderful dark ales)

But to each his own...I do agree that a brew pub is a good idea. Most have sampler beers.

One of the things I did (and still do) is at our local liquor store (and at a local grocery store [Hyvee for those in KC]) they allow you to choose your own 6-pack. This gives you the opportunity to try a beer that you might not like without having to buy 5 more. I figure that if I find just one good beer that I'll drink again, it was worth it.

Lastly, someone mentioned cider and I'm down with that. I drink as much cider as I do beer. A good store that allows you to build your own 6pack should have a good selection of cider too.
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:14 am

Oh yeah...and this is yet another thread about beer...thus prooving that we need a new forum section entitled either The Pub or The Tavern......how many is this now?
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis