The Beer Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
caulfield
Usher
Usher

Post by caulfield » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:34 am

tuttle wrote:Lastly, someone mentioned cider and I'm down with that. I drink as much cider as I do beer. A good store that allows you to build your own 6pack should have a good selection of cider too.
I didn't like beer at first, until I started drinking cider, then I discovered some great ales and lagers that I really loved. I don't drink much, but when I do, I drink good stuff. Anyway, some of my friends laugh at me, but I will always have a fondness for Woodchuck Cider.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:04 am

caulfield wrote:Anyway, some of my friends laugh at me, but I will always have a fondness for Woodchuck Cider.
That's cause they're wondering why you haven't tried Stongbow! :wink:

Pretty good cider, my sister used to get it every time I'd take her to The Claddaugh in downtown Indy.
Sola Deo Gloria

caulfield
Usher
Usher

Post by caulfield » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:36 am

I like Strongbow, especially on tap, but I still like Woodchuch more than Ace or Strongbow

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:42 am

caulfield wrote:I like Strongbow, especially on tap, but I still like Woodchuch more than Ace or Strongbow
Ah, well on tap is the only way I've had it. I did pick up a couple 6packs of an "oak barrel aged" woodchuck this spring. Lasted us a little while, but not as long as it should have :)
Sola Deo Gloria

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:35 am

caulfield wrote:I like Strongbow, especially on tap, but I still like Woodchuch more than Ace or Strongbow
I'm with you. There will always be a special place in my heart for Woodchuck. I might even give my next child the middle name Woodchuck. I've had a few ciders, and Strongbow is good, but Mangers (sp?) is better. Had it on tap at a pub here in KC. But still, Woodchuck is best.

Plus they have an awesome ad I once saw. I don't remember it word for word but it basically went like this:

"In the 1700's a ragtag militia defeated the greatest army in the world and founded the United States of America.

They also drank cider for breakfast.

Coincidence? We think not."
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

huddsbaggie
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by huddsbaggie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:40 am

Do you mean Magner's, Tuttle?
"All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football"
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

huddsbaggie

Post by huddsbaggie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:42 am

Cider is tramp juice, lads.
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:50 am

huddsbaggie wrote:Do you mean Magner's, Tuttle?
Bingo.

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:52 am

huddsbaggie wrote:Cider is tramp juice, lads.
You're just jealous because we beat the crap outta you back in '83

huddsbaggie

Post by huddsbaggie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:54 am

What happened then? I vaguely remember emerging from 82...
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:57 am

huddsbaggie wrote:What happened then? I vaguely remember emerging from 82...

huddsbaggie

Post by huddsbaggie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:02 am

Ah, the year they invented gurning.

And some little colonial skirmish that nobody remembers.
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

Dave
The Flying Dutchman
The Flying Dutchman

Post by Dave » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:29 am

C'est la guerre

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by wosbald » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:52 am

+JMJ+

The men in black habits show knack for making great beer at new brewery
Black Habit Dark Ale and St. Benedict Farmhouse Ale are two of the beers brewed at Mount Angel Abbey in St Benedict, Ore. The abbey's Benedictine monks began making beer about four years ago, and hope to have a new taproom ready in time for Mount Angel's Oktoberfest. (Credit: CNS photo/courtesy Mount Angel Abbey.)

MOUNT ANGEL, Oregon — It’s a brand-new brewery with a tradition reaching back 1,500 years, its charisms including welcoming visitors and giving the monks involved a way to earn a living for Mount Angel Abbey.

“It’s part of our tradition of hospitality,” said Benedictine Abbot Jeremy Driscoll, who greeted one friend after another - some for the first time - at the Benedictine Brewery’s grand opening.

He noted that while meeting a priest in a church might create an uncomfortable atmosphere for some visitors, the brewery offered a chance to relax and see the monks at work. “It’s like buckshot: It’s a chance to talk with people, not necessarily about God, but to share a good beer, and then who knows?”

Benedictine Father Martin Grassel is brewmaster, something he’d never planned for. He was already a priest when he began brewing beer, something that, as it turned out, he was good at.

Driscoll decided that a brewery had a place “on the hill,” or rather, at the foot of the hill just a couple hundred feet shy of Abbey Drive, which leads to Mount Angel Abbey.

A year ago there was an old-fashioned barn-raising style building party; the result, decorated with images from Mount Angel Abbey’s history, is a handsome, light-filled building with a friendly feel.

[…]

Driscoll said the monks involved with production would spend part of their work days here. As for the consuming side, he shared that irresponsible drinking is dangerous, and that the abbey would endeavor to serve and sell responsibly.

The brewery appropriately looks onto some of the abbey’s nearly 150-year-old hop fields, which produce the hops that give the Benedictine Brewery’s offerings their “Northwest Belgian style.”

For a man who didn’t care all that much about beer a decade ago, Grassel now discusses it with the enthusiasm of a convert, with listeners scrambling to discern the difference between hoppy lagers, malt forward ales, porters, stouts, and Belgian dubbels and tripels.

For non-connoisseurs, the important bits are that the brewery makes Belgian style beers and that they’re good.

As for insider advice, visitors should wander up to the bookstore, the chapel and the library while they’re there — and also note what the monks themselves are drinking. For the most part it’s that Black Habit Ale, the brewery’s flagship ale, which has gotten top reviews.

“It’s not really that dark a beer,” said Grassel, giving the go-ahead for those who usually choose a can of Corona or Bud Light.

Even so, on opening day the St. Michael’s Hellas, a traditional German pale lager beer, was the best-seller.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:47 pm

Had an Angry Orchard hard cider this evening with cheese, sausage, hummos and pita chips. Not bad.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:27 pm

Zom-frikin-bee

AnungUnRama
Congregation
Congregation

Post by AnungUnRama » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:33 am

I prefer dark beers and IPA brews but I'm expanding my tastes to Belgian beers. My hands down favorite is Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:57 pm

AFRS wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:27 pm
Zom-frikin-bee
Tis the season...

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:09 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:47 pm
Had an Angry Orchard hard cider this evening with cheese, sausage, hummos and pita chips. Not bad.
A little bit of this goes a long way. Much too much sugar.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:15 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:09 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:47 pm
A little bit of this goes a long way. Much too much sugar.
Further, I have three bottles of this that I may dump down the drain unless I find a use for it. I found a pork chop with rice recipe that calls for apple cider vinegar or calvados, so perhaps that's a possibility.