Christian Cults

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:16 am

Onyx wrote:I have observed that some people are happy in cults, because they do not desire the freedom to think for themselves so much as the comfort of pre-packaged answers which give the illusion of certainty in life within the cult.

Many of those people out-grow this phase, and eventually want to regain the initiative in their lives. The two options to out-grow this dependence are to leave the cult, or to attain a leadership position within the cult so that they in turn exercise control over others. But others people are happy to spend their days in the comfortable certainty of having all the major answers to Bible interpretation and application handed down to them by leaders they can revere.
I am not sure if the folks that are happy within their cult are happy because of a lack of desire to be free. Christianity is so paradoxical. To be free in Christ we must submit to Him as Lord of all. We follow a law of love. We are servants, slaves, friends, and brothers of the great I AM all at the same time. Freedoms and liberty in Christ are towards not from; towards virtue, towards perfection, towards theosis.

Those happily locked into cults are like Plato’s cave people that know no better. They are being fed crummy Wal-Mart dog food and are convinced it’s fillet mignon. Why would you seek outside of perfection if you thought you were already there?

I think people happy in cults are simply convinced that their way is The Way.

Any and all Christian organizations are a cult. All Christians hold to: Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Him. There is no other name by which salvation of man is given. That’s pretty hard line, there is no wiggle room.

The neo-cult grows out of replacing Christ with their own prophet or head honcho extraordinaire with whatever title he declares for himself. The deification of anyone or anything outside of the Divine results in misplaced allegiance and as such becomes classic idolatry.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 am

+JMJ+
Onyx wrote:But others people are happy to spend their days in the comfortable certainty of having all the major answers to Bible interpretation and application handed down to them by leaders they can revere.
ImageImageImageImageImage

La-la-la-la-la-la, Sing a happy song.
La-la-la-la-la-la, Smurf™ the whole day long.

ImageImageImageImageImage
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:30 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Onyx wrote:I have observed that some people are happy in cults, because they do not desire the freedom to think for themselves so much as the comfort of pre-packaged answers which give the illusion of certainty in life within the cult.

Many of those people out-grow this phase, and eventually want to regain the initiative in their lives. The two options to out-grow this dependence are to leave the cult, or to attain a leadership position within the cult so that they in turn exercise control over others. But others people are happy to spend their days in the comfortable certainty of having all the major answers to Bible interpretation and application handed down to them by leaders they can revere.
I am not sure if the folks that are happy within their cult are happy because of a lack of desire to be free. Christianity is so paradoxical. To be free in Christ we must submit to Him as Lord of all. We follow a law of love. We are servants, slaves, friends, and brothers of the great I AM all at the same time. Freedoms and liberty in Christ are towards not from; towards virtue, towards perfection, towards theosis.

Those happily locked into cults are like Plato’s cave people that know no better. They are being fed crummy Wal-Mart dog food and are convinced it’s fillet mignon. Why would you seek outside of perfection if you thought you were already there?

I think people happy in cults are simply convinced that their way is The Way.

Any and all Christian organizations are a cult. All Christians hold to: Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Him. There is no other name by which salvation of man is given. That’s pretty hard line, there is no wiggle room.

The neo-cult grows out of replacing Christ with their own prophet or head honcho extraordinaire with whatever title he declares for himself. The deification of anyone or anything outside of the Divine results in misplaced allegiance and as such becomes classic idolatry.
Yes, I see what you mean. I accept that. What I've said on this thread is not the whole story, and for some people the experience is different. Certainly the cult-leader that you describe is a key feature of cults. People who eventually leave do so for different reasons. What I said described my experience.

ChildOfGod
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by ChildOfGod » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:05 pm

I just left a cult. The fellowship itself was not a cult, but within the fellowship (you might say 'church') there is a cult.

I think that might be true of any fellowship. The Christian groups themselves are not cults and there are members of the fellowship not in the cult, but there are also members of the same fellowship within the cult.

This was the difference between my wife and I, and I thank God that she was not in the cult, because she could see more clearly than I when catastrophe struck our family.

You can't see the cult while you're in it. You think your a 'church member' just like anyone else only more dedicated perhaps. That's the way it was for me. Now out of the cult for the past 4 months, I see how things were, and are, very differently from other 'church members'.

Dewey
Weedy wed Dewy Ye
Weedy wed Dewy Ye

Post by Dewey » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:30 pm

I too was apart of what could be deemed a Christian cult from the year 01-03. I gleaned a good deal of insight as a result of having gone through the ordeal. Not from the teachings involved mind you, but from the experience of being involved.

To some degree, I blame the institution that has become mainstream Christianity for the existence of that and many other of the cults.

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Re: Christian Cults

Post by Fainn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:13 pm

DepartedLight wrote:Nice write up Onxy.

I have been in 2 cults: The Jehovah's Witness and the International Church of Christ
You learn something new every day.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:29 pm

This has been the most edifying thread I have ever read on cps

I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:56 am

Fainn wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:29 pm
This has been the most edifying thread I have ever read on cps

CPS was a different place way back then...

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:05 am

Regarding the OP:

In the sense of "Jesus being a cult leader", the term "cult" in this regard simply means "sect", possibly ones which beliefs which are novel or differ from the majority religion of its day and age - and isn't necessarily a negative term.

(In Europe, for example, I've heard the word "cult" doesn't have the negative associations that it does in the US, with some groups historically using it proudly, such as the "Cult of Reason").

I also believe that in Christian theology, "cult" means a group which claims to be Christian but deviates significantly from core doctrines (e.x. I've heard Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Moonies, etc described as "cults" in this sense).

-

In the negative sense, my understanding is that "cult" usually just means a group which uses totalitarian control over its members, or has dangerous or harmful beliefs.

This wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with whether or not the group is "religious, Christian, secular", or otherwise, but more akin to how the group operates in practice. (e.x. I've heard Communism or Stalinism described as a "political cult" before).

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:37 am

Fainn wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:13 pm
DepartedLight wrote:Nice write up Onxy.

I have been in 2 cults: The Jehovah's Witness and the International Church of Christ
You learn something new every day.

Sometimes we have to personally discover what the Gospel is not before we can appreciate what it is.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis