THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by j1n » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:23 pm

...been workin' on some projects. here are two little ones.

I got these 2 hand crosses years ago. they are made of olive wood from Bethlehem. I burned the Orthodox cross into them, sanded a little, and refinished with olive oil. when I became a catechumen, as I was walking back from the front of the church...an older African-American woman, Johanna, stepped out and gave me a big hug. I gifted one to her today after Divine Liturgy. I also gifted one to our priest's wife, Popadia Susan.
I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:27 pm

j1n wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:27 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:09 pm
I have a wrist sized one, it gets use. It fits well in my pocket too.
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:11 pm

My daily driver
do you guys wear them throughout the day? I was wondering about that because I see people wearing rosaries as necklaces and I think my wife's RC grandparents are probably turning over in their graves because of that trend. But it seems the Orthodox prayer ropes are meant to be worn...?
Like rosaries, you don't wear them around the neck, defeats the purpose of it being a functional and makes an ostentatious show when removing it to use. When worn they tend to be worn around the left wrist (or kept up the left sleeve) otherwise just kept in a pocket. that way keeps the right free for signing the cross or anything else.

Most traditionally it is used to keep count of the number of times you pray the jesus prayer but can be used to count "lord have mercy" or any other prayer that is prayed multiple times. Though by no means is it necessary I have one but rarely use it, its easier for me to keep count on the joints of my hand, the method I learned early to keep count.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:45 am

I'm your huckleberry

- my wife

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:42 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:28 pm
I had an eye exam today and ordered new glasses. The last lady I worked with on the frames looked very much like our very own Brigid. Looked like her sister.

If I wasn't 55 and she wasn't 27; I still would not have had the stones to ask her out.
I'm not sure how to take that. I will just say A) don't ask people out at their place of work and B) you're wonderful, I miss you.
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:45 am

j1n, I know a few folks from your church -- I was married in a Bulgarian Orthodox church of the same, hmm, roots shall we say. Good people there, they traveled a long road home to Orthodoxy.
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Brigid wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:45 am
j1n, I know a few folks from your church -- I was married in a Bulgarian Orthodox church of the same, hmm, roots shall we say. Good people there, they traveled a long road home to Orthodoxy.
I was just thinking about j1n. I haven't seen him post in a bit.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Thoth

Post by Thoth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:01 pm

I think only Brigid can truly fully appreciate this picture, being a fellow member of the kerchief mafia.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:10 pm

:D Thoth!

And could you give us a general update on your life, ordination and location?
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:51 am

Thoth wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:01 pm
I think only Brigid can truly fully appreciate this picture, being a fellow member of the kerchief mafia.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Don't tell me that grown-up girl is little M! Oh, how beautiful. I can't get Lark to keep anything on her head — not a barrette, not a scarf, not a hat — though she'll gladly steal mine.
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:10 pm
:D Thoth!

And could you give us a general update on your life, ordination and location?
Seconded!

Thoth

Post by Thoth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:06 pm

Yes thats M all of two years old going on 18 (picture was from a month ago at baby brother's baptism). A far cry from the tiny thing that fit in the lovely shrug you knitted for her. She had a similar phase where she didn't want anything on her head r in her hair, untl she noticed all the other girls in her daycare class had something in their hair she then started to ask for it.

As for me still a lowly subdeacon, long story short.

Longer story basically everything was set for ordination in Richardson, TX was poached/traded to another bishop (still fuzzy on the exact details). I was to be ordained to fix issues in a church in Greenville, SC. It was not a situation that would have been improved by a new priest without removing the priest that was serving there and that wasn't going to happen for various reasons. So I told the bishop if you want to ordain me put me in a different parish but won't serve there as a new priest so that was that for there. Got calls for Nova Scotia and Kansas City but since Mrs Thoth was very pregnant (and needing to move) and now with spawn #2 put things on hold for a little while we will see what happens a year or so from now. So thats the update.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:16 pm

Thoth wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:06 pm
Yes thats M all of two years old going on 18 (picture was from a month ago at baby brother's baptism). A far cry from the tiny thing that fit in the lovely shrug you knitted for her. She had a similar phase where she didn't want anything on her head r in her hair, untl she noticed all the other girls in her daycare class had something in their hair she then started to ask for it.

As for me still a lowly subdeacon, long story short.

Longer story basically everything was set for ordination in Richardson, TX was poached/traded to another bishop (still fuzzy on the exact details). I was to be ordained to fix issues in a church in Greenville, SC. It was not a situation that would have been improved by a new priest without removing the priest that was serving there and that wasn't going to happen for various reasons. So I told the bishop if you want to ordain me put me in a different parish but won't serve there as a new priest so that was that for there. Got calls for Nova Scotia and Kansas City but since Mrs Thoth was very pregnant (and needing to move) and now with spawn #2 put things on hold for a little while we will see what happens a year or so from now. So thats the update.
I am horribly disappointed you didn’t end up in Richardson.

Thanks for the update! You’ve been busy.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:52 am

I’m glad you didn’t end up in the wrong situation.

I want details on baby brother!

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Brigid wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:45 am
oh cool! i'd be interested to know who you know from there! and yes...Popadia and I sat down one night after Vespers and had a talk about the roots and the long road :D
I'm your huckleberry

- my wife

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:06 pm

The Epiclesis of the Divine Liturgy (Romanian)

https://youtu.be/10-bbD3kxOg
I'm your huckleberry

- my wife

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:55 pm

yp j1n
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017