THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Thoth » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:34 am

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:29 pm
Thoth wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:12 pm
Some may be aware of my on again off being called to the priesthood, so quick note on Orthodox eccliesiology since I live in an area not directly under a local bishop I'm open for poaching to other dioceses. SO currently the Bishop of the Southern United States wants to ordain me for a church in the north Dallas area (Richardson to be exact) to that end I have been traveling there for weekends for the past several months. So I have one more visit before His Grace puts it up to the congregation to make the final decision. To additionally make things interesting another bishop wants to ordain me for Greenville, SC if the other thing falls through.

Prayers appreciated especially for wisdom.
Nice to hear from you, Thoth. Destiny may cross our paths yet. I've been in and out of Texas north of Dallas as well lately. I was in Richardson a month ago. Very likely to move to the area in a year or two. Regardless, I may be back there yet again in the next few weeks. Would you accept me as a spiritual son of yours? :D
Gladly.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

serapion
I'll make yer head spin!
I'll make yer head spin!
Location: New Yorker from Connecticut, now exiled to the Republic of Texas

Post by serapion » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:44 pm

Thoth wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:34 am
Thunktank wrote:
Thoth wrote:
Some may be aware of my on again off being called to the priesthood, so quick note on Orthodox eccliesiology since I live in an area not directly under a local bishop I'm open for poaching to other dioceses. SO currently the Bishop of the Southern United States wants to ordain me for a church in the north Dallas area (Richardson to be exact) to that end I have been traveling there for weekends for the past several months. So I have one more visit before His Grace puts it up to the congregation to make the final decision. To additionally make things interesting another bishop wants to ordain me for Greenville, SC if the other thing falls through.

Nice to hear from you, Thoth. Destiny may cross our paths yet. I've been in and out of Texas north of Dallas as well lately. I was in Richardson a month ago. Very likely to move to the area in a year or two. Regardless, I may be back there yet again in the next few weeks. Would you accept me as a spiritual son of yours? :D
Gladly.
Way Cool!
Thoth, PM me when you come to Richardson. I live right near there.
I am a pipe smoker, the very embodiment of mellow.
I let nothing chap my ass.

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Post by GaryInVA » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:03 am

Just saw this in the local online paper here in Los Alamos. I see the priest every now and then picking up his children from the school my children go to.

Local Orthodox Church
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:48 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:03 am
Just saw this in the local online paper here in Los Alamos. I see the priest every now and then picking up his children from the school my children go to.

Local Orthodox Church
Nice article, thanks for sharing.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:40 pm

I'm into the inquiry part of RCIA... haven't actually begun the classes. Last night, I went to Mass and then went straight from Mass to Vigils at St Innocent of Alaska Orthodox Mission. Whim? Holy Spirit's prodding? I had some kind of experience or awakening or something last night. I'm seriously thinking Orthodoxy might be what I am really seeking. I feel like a jerk. Especially to the really cool RCIA guy at the RCC. There are RC dogmas I think I can work through. But Orthodoxy doesn't present those things, or if it does, it's somehow more palatable...? There is a certain "earthiness" to Eastern Orthodoxy that I appreciate.
I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:57 pm

MrBrigid did all of RCIA but backed out the day before baptism. We’re Orthodox and met at church. Just go to church and pray a lot, you’ll be fine.
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:40 pm

j1n wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:40 pm
I'm into the inquiry part of RCIA... haven't actually begun the classes. Last night, I went to Mass and then went straight from Mass to Vigils at St Innocent of Alaska Orthodox Mission. Whim? Holy Spirit's prodding? I had some kind of experience or awakening or something last night. I'm seriously thinking Orthodoxy might be what I am really seeking. I feel like a jerk. Especially to the really cool RCIA guy at the RCC. There are RC dogmas I think I can work through. But Orthodoxy doesn't present those things, or if it does, it's somehow more palatable...? There is a certain "earthiness" to Eastern Orthodoxy that I appreciate.
If attempting to discern the promptings of the Holy Spirit is jekriness; may we all be more jerk like than even I.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:12 pm

I went through RCIA, tried Orthodoxy, and discovered what sounds like very close to the same thing you did. Became a catechumen of the Orthodox Church for a few years, practiced that for over 10 years. . . Now I’m essentially a wanderer wondering if I’ve ever been home through my journeys between Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism, Eastern Catholicism and the land of unicorns.

Lord have mercy and good luck. Probably two things that should never be found in the same sentence, yet here they are the words of a sinner.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:40 am

j1n wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:40 pm
Brigid wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:57 pm
MrBrigid did all of RCIA but backed out the day before baptism. We’re Orthodox and met at church. Just go to church and pray a lot, you’ll be fine.
Brigid is wise! Always listen to her advice.

I am not so wise, so I make lists:

1) The Apostolic Faith is the same, both East and West. It comes from the Apostles, guided and protected by the Holy Spirit. The Eucharist is the central mystery of our faith -- Jesus Christ gives us His living flesh and blood.

2) The East and the West are different in how we approach this faith. You might say that we have different "styles." Or that we climb the same mountain by different paths. Both are good and beautiful. We are complementary, not opposed. Pope St. John Paul the Great says that the Church is most healthy when "She breathes with both lungs." The schism remains an enduring tragedy. I hope the time for healing is near.

3) The really cool guy at RCIA will still be your friend. Do not feel like a jerk.

4) The Light of the East is beautiful, and you should explore it now that you have discovered it. Perhaps it will become your spiritual home. Just keep in mind that you are a child of the West, and you may well discover that your home is in the West. This is not a contest. The Holy Spirit leads us through these meandering paths so that we can grow in wisdom. Enjoy the journey!

5) Remember Brigid's advice: Just go to church and pray a lot, you’ll be fine.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:31 am

I especially appreciate the reassurance that i'm not being a jerk :) I am leaning towards the EOC for sure. There's a certain peace I'm feeling in my researching Orthodoxy that I wasn't getting in my research of the RCC. There is MUCH that I appreciate about the RCC, and those things are shared by the EOC. Now to figure out which church to do my praying at...
I'm your huckleberry

- my wife

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:46 am

+JMJ+
j1n wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:31 am
I especially appreciate the reassurance that i'm not being a jerk :) I am leaning towards the EOC for sure. There's a certain peace I'm feeling in my researching Orthodoxy that I wasn't getting in my research of the RCC. There is MUCH that I appreciate about the RCC, and those things are shared by the EOC. Now to figure out which church to do my praying at...
Make sure to ask about Aerial Toll Houses and Sophianism.

Just for kicks. :cheese:

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:54 am

Ultimately, it comes down to the office of the Papacy. Virtually everything concerning matters of faith and belief are found in both churches using their own theological traditions. Its not an issue of “primacy”, but rather very specific powers of the modern Papacy. The Orthodox can and do have “primacy” insofar as they may accept the service of a Pope, Patriarch or bishop as a presiding figure within a synod, council or other conciliar process. In practice, there is no universal authority anymore within Orthodoxy for the past century or so. The Russian Church and the Ecumenical Patriarch have been in and out of communion with disturbing frequency lately. However, in times past, the Ecumenical Patriarch did the same service as the Roman Pope even into recent times. Most of the work the Roman Pope does, he does as a western Patriarch. Food for thought.

Is the authority of St Peter being apostolically passed down from Saint Peter to the See of Rome or not? The Orthodox believe the “Keys” were given to St. Peter personally and all those presbyters who share Peter’s faith may share in the authority of those keys he has. Primacy therefore is practiced as a matter of practical need rather than any one bishop having intrinsic rights as a Vicar of Peter or Christ. Very strong arguments can come from both “sides” concerning that.

The culture between the Catholic and Orthodox churches can feel quite different and so can the practice of faith itself. As you noted, the Orthodox are more “earthy” in their orthopraxy. That’s a good way to put it. Yet despite the lack of political unity within Orthodoxy, they are much more united in matters of faith and practice than the Catholic Churches. The Orthodox seem to argue over things the churches in the West feel are relatively minor or unimportant. Yet, I think that’s because the Orthodox aren’t arguing over anything of importance. It’s settled and no one is questioning the Eucharist in Middle age scholastic terms. It just is as it’s always been. So many of the more recent Roman Dogmas are the result of western Christian use of scholastic endeavors that the Orthodox never got into very heavily, or to the same degree or the same way. The Orthodox might have a bit more neo platonic propensity. They are also more prone to other heresies creeping in than what the Western churches were.

Then there are the Eastern Catholics. . . I’ve been doing a lot of that lately. Still not sure if I should return home to Orthodoxy or move to Eastern Catholic. Bottom line, you, me or anyone else can only know so much. As already mentioned, just pray a lot. Schisms are the most horrible thing for some of us, not to mention the Body herself. Things have never been quite right since. Those of us who experience both the east and west know this better than anyone. The corruption in the centers of church power in both churches is enough for me to doubt them all though. Just saying.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 am

Choices are of the devil. Once there was one church people could choose. Then there was one church per region they could choose from. In other words if you were living in Greece, you were Greek Orhtodox, if you lived in Italy, you were Catholic, Norway Lutheran. The “faithful” practiced and prayed at the church they were given. Many people continue to simply be faithful to the church that they experienced first, whatever it is, giving little thought as to why. Then there are those of us who try and take it upon ourselves in our own feebleness to find the “right” church.

This is why I find peace in science. Not because science provides salvation, but because science provides a tangible, objective way to know what is true about nature. Religion is anything but objective in practice. Finding the “Truth” about God is like asking a person what their favorite color is. Even when different churches declare the Truth in the Eucharist, they will still say the other church isn’t “The Church.” Drives me crazy. Yeah, it really does boil down to deciding which church we like best to pray from. Consumerism for catechumens. :egor:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:50 pm

I love the EO Church. So beautiful. Some of the services are done in candle light only. Such peace.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:50 pm
I love the EO Church. So beautiful. Some of the services are done in candle light only. Such peace.
... amen
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:29 pm

I made arrangements, earlier this week, to speak with the priest at one of the local Orthodox churches. So I went to Vespers last night and sat down and spoke with him afterward...just laid out a readers digest version of my faith background and my dilemma(s) with the RCC, etc. He is a cool man...a tentmaker (unpaid clergy), husband, father...down to earth. He told me I would fit in well there (maybe it's the beard? :D ). He comes from a RC background and agreed with my thoughts and opinions on the things I was having some issues with in the RCC. AND I also found out this week that there appears to be no record of me being baptised in my childhood/teen Conservative Baptist church. I don't have any clear memory of a teen baptism, so... I get to be baptized (finally?!) in the EOC.
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Jocose wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:50 pm
... amen
and amen
I'm your huckleberry

- my wife

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:34 am

Thoth wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:34 am
Thunktank wrote:
Thoth wrote:

Gladly.
This is cool! Thoth...i'm gonna have to read back (here in this thread?) to see what you've written about your calling.
I'm your huckleberry

- my wife

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Can someone recommend a good book, written from an Orthodox perspective, on the early Church fathers?
I'm your huckleberry

- my wife

Del

Post by Del » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:01 pm

j1n wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:52 pm
Can someone recommend a good book, written from an Orthodox perspective, on the early Church fathers?
Send Thoth a PM. He studied the Early Church Fathers in some detail.

Even in the early centuries, when the Church was One, there was already a clear difference between the East and the West. St. Augustine was a western Christian.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:05 am

I met with the priest last night after Vespers, and this Sunday at the end of the Divine Liturgy, I will officially(?) become a catechumen. Between now and then I will be choosing a baptismal name. I could use your prayers...mostly that my family will follow me into the Church.
I'm your huckleberry

- my wife