THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by j1n » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:26 am

Tomorrow I will become a catechumen during the Divine Liturgy. I'm hoping someone here can tell me what to expect? I know I will be taking off my shoes and going up for the priest to place a cloth over me and say a prayer. If anyone can expand on that, i'd appreciate it...like when, during the service, this takes place?
I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:18 am

j1n wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:26 am
Tomorrow I will become a catechumen during the Divine Liturgy. I'm hoping someone here can tell me what to expect? I know I will be taking off my shoes and going up for the priest to place a cloth over me and say a prayer. If anyone can expand on that, i'd appreciate it...like when, during the service, this takes place?
You are going to need a good catechist in your own parish(?) to answer all of your questions.

Orthodoxy is a Christian culture that is very different from the culture of Western Christianity.
But also, the different national cultures of Orthodoxy have their own customs and symbols.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:04 pm

j1n wrote:
Individual parishes may vary, but it’s usually done in the nave during Orthros after the Great Doxology. Some parishes do it toward the back of the nave (near the entrance into the nave). It’s usually pretty short and straight forward, a prayer. The priest will probably blow on you as an action of exorcism. Be aware that one of the chief reasons for becoming a catachumen is to leave the world that resides under the influence of the devil, so this general exorcism is standard practice for all who become Orthodox. It is the first defiance against the influence of Satan in the world. Traditionally, in the early church, catechumens who were not yet baptized were nevertheless given an Orthodox funeral because they began their journey as Orthodox Christians as Catechumens. Your anticipation of this event is well founded.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:22 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:04 pm
j1n wrote:
Your anticipation of this event is well founded.
I think this made me more apprehensive 8O
Thunk, not sure if it's the same in your church, but mine follows the Divine Liturgy of John Chrysostom. Would this take place towards the end of the Liturgy? After the Eucharist?
I'm your huckleberry

- my wife

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:02 pm

j1n wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:22 pm
Thunktank wrote:
j1n wrote:
I think this made me more apprehensive 8O
Thunk, not sure if it's the same in your church, but mine follows the Divine Liturgy of John Chrysostom. Would this take place towards the end of the Liturgy? After the Eucharist?
If you feel apprehensive, please tell Father.

Yes, I’m a Byzantine rite Christian that chiefly uses the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom (and at certain liturgical times, that of Saint Basil). No, it probably want be after the end of the Divine Liturgy, but before. Orthros is the preparation prayer service that comes before the Divine Liturgy. Or if comparing to the Latin rite, Orthros is like Matins just as the Divine Lirtugy is like the Mass.

Traditionally in the old days, catechumens did not attend the Divine Liturgy for long. They only were permitted to attend Orthros on Sunday. They were liturally told to leave and it is still found in the Divine Liturgy today, yet it isn’t practiced accept in certain monestaries.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:31 pm

<r><QUOTE author="Thunktank" post_id="1197134" time="1529794964" user_id="1089"><s>
Thunktank wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:02 pm
</s>
<QUOTE author="j1n" post_id="1197130" time="1529788931" user_id="980"><s>
j1n wrote:
</s>
<QUOTE author="Thunktank" post_id="1197123" time="1529780666" user_id="1089"><s>
Thunktank wrote:
</s>
<QUOTE author="j1n" post_id="1197108" time="1529767580" user_id="980"><s>
j1n wrote:
</s>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

I think this made me more apprehensive <E>8O</E> <br/>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

If you feel apprehensive, please tell Father. <br/>
<br/>
Yes, I’m a Byzantine rite Christian that chiefly uses the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom (and at certain liturgical times, that of Saint Basil). No, it probably want be after the end of the Divine Liturgy, but before. Orthros is the preparation prayer service that comes before the Divine Liturgy. Or if comparing to the Latin rite, Orthros is like Matins just as the Divine Lirtugy is like the Mass. <br/>
<br/>
Traditionally in the old days, catechumens did not attend the Divine Liturgy for long. They only were permitted to attend Orthros on Sunday. They were liturally told to leave and it is still found in the Divine Liturgy today, yet it isn’t practiced accept in certain monestaries.
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Thanks for the info! I reached out to Popadila Susan, the priest's wife...to get an idea of when in the services it will happen. Before our Divine Liturgy, there is a roughly 30 minute "Midnight Office". Is this the same as your Orthros? <br/>
I'm a little nervous, maybe apprehensive was too strong a word.</r>
I'm your huckleberry

- my wife

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:08 pm

j1n wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:31 pm
<r><QUOTE author="Thunktank" post_id="1197134" time="1529794964" user_id="1089"><s>
Thunktank wrote:
</s>
j1n wrote:
</s>
<QUOTE author="Thunktank" post_id="1197123" time="1529780666" user_id="1089"><s>
Thunktank wrote:
</s>
j1n wrote:
</s>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

<e>
</e></QUOTE>

<br/>
Yes, I’m a Byzantine rite Christian that chiefly uses the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom (and at certain liturgical times, that of Saint Basil). No, it probably want be after the end of the Divine Liturgy, but before. Orthros is the preparation prayer service that comes before the Divine Liturgy. Or if comparing to the Latin rite, Orthros is like Matins just as the Divine Lirtugy is like the Mass. <br/>
<br/>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Thanks for the info! I reached out to Popadila Susan, the priest's wife...to get an idea of when in the services it will happen. Before our Divine Liturgy, there is a roughly 30 minute "Midnight Office". Is this the same as your Orthros? <br/>
Yes, same thing. The “Midnight Office” is a monastic Orthros practice at midnight. It’s been reorganized for the needs of parish life.
Last edited by Thunktank on Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Del

Post by Del » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:18 pm

j1n wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
</s>
j1n wrote:
</s>
Thunktank wrote:
</s>
j1n wrote:
</s>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

<e>
</e></QUOTE>

<br/>
<br/>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

You need to calm down! You are entering a new and different culture of Christianity. You will experience many things which you will not immediately understand. And that's how it is supposed to be.

Embrace a child-like faith! Trust that they have only good things to give you. Ask questions, but be patient with yourself. Growing into mature understanding will take some time.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:18 pm
j1n wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
</s>
j1n wrote:
</s>
Thunktank wrote:
</s>
j1n wrote:
</s>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

<e>
</e></QUOTE>

<br/>
<br/>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

You need to calm down! You are entering a new and different culture of Christianity. You will experience many things which you will not immediately understand. And that's how it is supposed to be.

Embrace a child-like faith! Trust that they have only good things to give you. Ask questions, but be patient with yourself. Growing into mature understanding will take some time.
Del, is this the best way for you to help?

Del

Post by Del » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:12 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:00 pm
It's all I've got.

I have visited Orthodox churches. I confess it: I don't get the Icons. I can "comprehend the concept"..... But I would have to live with the icons for a long time before they could speak to me in their fullness.

So my advice to j1n is what I should say to myself: Be patient. Ask questions. Let the formation unfold in its own time.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:12 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:12 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:00 pm
It's all I've got.

I have visited Orthodox churches. I confess it: I don't get the Icons. I can "comprehend the concept"..... But I would have to live with the icons for a long time before they could speak to me in their fullness.

So my advice to j1n is what I should say to myself: Be patient. Ask questions. Let the formation unfold in its own time.
Well all right then. What would we do without a good thwack on the head around here on occasion? :lol:

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:18 pm

so this morning, towards the end of the Divine Liturgy, I became a catechumen in the Eastern Orthodox Church...and I took the new name "Innocent". It was a humbling, special, and exciting experience. Looking forward to baptism!

I'm your huckleberry

- my wife

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:15 pm

j1n wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:18 pm
so this morning, towards the end of the Divine Liturgy, I became a catechumen in the Eastern Orthodox Church...and I took the new name "Innocent". It was a humbling, special, and exciting experience. Looking forward to baptism!

May the journey begin! What Orthodox Church is that? I mean jurisdiction. It has a very mother country look to it. :D

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:28 pm

I had an eye exam today and ordered new glasses. The last lady I worked with on the frames looked very much like our very own Brigid. Looked like her sister.

If I wasn't 55 and she wasn't 27; I still would not have had the stones to ask her out.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:15 pm
j1n wrote:

May the journey begin! What Orthodox Church is that? I mean jurisdiction. It has a very mother country look to it. :D
It's a mission parish of the Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Diocese of the USA, Canada, and Australia.
I'm your huckleberry

- my wife

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:40 pm

a very cool thing... DepartedLight sent me these icons a couple weeks back! this morning they remained on the altar throughout Divine Liturgy, and our priest also blessed them with holy water for me.

I'm your huckleberry

- my wife

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:44 pm

j1n wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:30 pm
Thunktank wrote:
j1n wrote:

It's a mission parish of the Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Diocese of the USA, Canada, and Australia.
Oh wow, Interesting! I’ll bet they don’t get many new people.

Btw, my baptized name is Innocent too. I see his icon behind you above. :wink:

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:32 pm

j1n wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:40 pm
a very cool thing... DepartedLight sent me these icons a couple weeks back! this morning they remained on the altar throughout Divine Liturgy, and our priest also blessed them with holy water for me.

Very cool! The Eastern Icon water blessing is way cool. Wow.

Dude! We've shared an Orthodox Tradition. Small world.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:35 am

Del wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:01 pm
j1n wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:52 pm
Can someone recommend a good book, written from an Orthodox perspective, on the early Church fathers?
Send Thoth a PM. He studied the Early Church Fathers in some detail.

Even in the early centuries, when the Church was One, there was already a clear difference between the East and the West. St. Augustine was a western Christian.
Not sure exactly what you are looking for exactly but a good overview and introduction to the fathers is "Holy Fire" by Robert Payne give the life and context in which several of the Church fathers lived and wrote in as well as excerpts of some of their writings to whet the appetite, so to speak.

(its nice to still be remembered in these here parts despit a prolonged absence, :wavey: )
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:07 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:44 pm
j1n wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:30 pm
Thunktank wrote:
j1n wrote:

Oh wow, Interesting! I’ll bet they don’t get many new people.

Btw, my baptized name is Innocent too. I see his icon behind you above. :wink:
Well...I'm new, so I don't know everyone who is a regular yet. Seems to me there are at least SOME different people there each Sunday. I'm going to guess that about half of the attendees are from some sort of Eastern European background, and the other half are converts. Interestingly, our church came from the Platina and Herman Podmoshensky lineage. If you don't know about HOOM and the Christ the Savior Brotherhood, its an interesting research/read. Basically, a new age group became Orthodox via a non-canonical diocese and were eventually absorbed into canonical diocese such as Serbian, Bulgarian, etc. Yeah....the St Innocent icon... Popadia mentioned that St Innocent was watching from the Cloud of Witnesses :wink: Cool on the name. I hemmed and hawed a little. I also liked "Seraphim" for Seraphim of Sarov, but Innocent resonated with me on a few different levels...one of which is the fact that I am FAR from innocent, but the Lord redeems things for good. I hope He is redeeming me.
I'm your huckleberry

- my wife