THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1402
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: southeast of the northwest territories
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by j1n » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:15 pm

Hermitage of the Holy Cross is about 5 hours from me. Thinking of making a trip out there. Interestingly enough, our church's priest, Fr Michael Furry is in this video at the 10:42 mark...he is the far right priest, without a head covering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeWWoswuInw
I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28514
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:43 pm

j1n wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:07 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:44 pm
j1n wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:30 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:15 pm
j1n wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:18 pm
so this morning, towards the end of the Divine Liturgy, I became a catechumen in the Eastern Orthodox Church...and I took the new name "Innocent". It was a humbling, special, and exciting experience. Looking forward to baptism!

Image

Image
May the journey begin! What Orthodox Church is that? I mean jurisdiction. It has a very mother country look to it. :D
It's a mission parish of the Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Diocese of the USA, Canada, and Australia.
Oh wow, Interesting! I’ll bet they don’t get many new people.

Btw, my baptized name is Innocent too. I see his icon behind you above. :wink:
Well...I'm new, so I don't know everyone who is a regular yet. Seems to me there are at least SOME different people there each Sunday. I'm going to guess that about half of the attendees are from some sort of Eastern European background, and the other half are converts. Interestingly, our church came from the Platina and Herman Podmoshensky lineage. If you don't know about HOOM and the Christ the Savior Brotherhood, its an interesting research/read. Basically, a new age group became Orthodox via a non-canonical diocese and were eventually absorbed into canonical diocese such as Serbian, Bulgarian, etc. Yeah....the St Innocent icon... Popadia mentioned that St Innocent was watching from the Cloud of Witnesses :wink: Cool on the name. I hemmed and hawed a little. I also liked "Seraphim" for Seraphim of Sarov, but Innocent resonated with me on a few different levels...one of which is the fact that I am FAR from innocent, but the Lord redeems things for good. I hope He is redeeming me.
Look around the room. Everyone that is not you, is a regular.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21841
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Jocose » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:53 am

The Orthodox Church is such a place of rest and beauty.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Image

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 38531
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Del » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:26 am

Thoth wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:35 am
Del wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:01 pm
j1n wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:52 pm
Can someone recommend a good book, written from an Orthodox perspective, on the early Church fathers?
Send Thoth a PM. He studied the Early Church Fathers in some detail.

Even in the early centuries, when the Church was One, there was already a clear difference between the East and the West. St. Augustine was a western Christian.
Not sure exactly what you are looking for exactly but a good overview and introduction to the fathers is "Holy Fire" by Robert Payne give the life and context in which several of the Church fathers lived and wrote in as well as excerpts of some of their writings to whet the appetite, so to speak.


(its nice to still be remembered in these here parts despit a prolonged absence, :wavey: )
Thank you for checking in and dropping by, from time to time! We miss you.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1402
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: southeast of the northwest territories
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by j1n » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:01 pm

I made this lampada (vigil lamp) from mostly upcycled or repurposed stuff. I'm in the process of setting up an icon corner and I wanted one of these. it was fun to make. :)

Image
I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12347
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Formerly Jersey City, World's Greatest City.

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Thoth » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:31 pm

j1n wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:01 pm
I made this lampada (vigil lamp) from mostly upcycled or repurposed stuff. I'm in the process of setting up an icon corner and I wanted one of these. it was fun to make. :)

Image
Nice, never would have guessed it was put together from random parts. Out of curiousity what will you use as the oil holder/lamp?
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28514
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:57 pm

j1n wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:01 pm
I made this lampada (vigil lamp) from mostly upcycled or repurposed stuff. I'm in the process of setting up an icon corner and I wanted one of these. it was fun to make. :)

Image
Make me one? I will pay you 2 Icons. Maybe 3 of one is small.

Not kidding. I have a small icon wall in my shed. and I've been wanting one of these for the top corner.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1402
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: southeast of the northwest territories
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by j1n » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:29 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:57 pm
j1n wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:01 pm
I made this lampada (vigil lamp) from mostly upcycled or repurposed stuff. I'm in the process of setting up an icon corner and I wanted one of these. it was fun to make. :)

Image
Make me one? I will pay you 2 Icons. Maybe 3 of one is small.

Not kidding. I have a small icon wall in my shed. and I've been wanting one of these for the top corner.
No problem....I'll make one for ya. Give me like 2 weeks, tops, to scrounge up what I need and get it all assembled and all. Shoot me a pm with your address and I will do the same if you don't still have mine.
I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

User avatar
j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1402
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: southeast of the northwest territories
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by j1n » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:31 am

Thoth wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:31 pm
j1n wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:01 pm
I made this lampada (vigil lamp) from mostly upcycled or repurposed stuff. I'm in the process of setting up an icon corner and I wanted one of these. it was fun to make. :)

Image
Nice, never would have guessed it was put together from random parts. Out of curiousity what will you use as the oil holder/lamp?
Thanks! I was just going to use either tea lights or the little votive candles in the little glass cups you can get at the dollar store.
I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 17914
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re:

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:15 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:00 pm
40 Maxims for Christian Living in the New Year

By Father Thomas Hopko

Be always with Christ and trust God in everything.
Go to Church, confession and communion regularly.
Read the Scriptures regularly.
Spend some time in silence each day.
Pray as you can and not as you want.
Keep a rule of prayer.
Say the Lord's Prayer several times a day.
Do some prostrations when you pray.
Have a short prayer (like the Jesus Prayer) that you constantly repeat when your mind is not occupied
with other things.
Cultivate communion with the saints.
Have a daily schedule of activities, avoiding whim and caprice.
Have a healthy, wholesome hobby.
Eat good foods in moderation. Fast as the Church teaches.
Exercise regularly.
Read good books a little at a time.
Face reality. Don't get lost in imagination and fantasy.
Be totally honest, first of all with yourself.
Do your work.
Do the most difficult and painful things first.
Be faithful in little things.
Do acts of mercy and compassion secretly.
Be grateful in all things.
Be cheerful.
Be simple, hidden and quiet. Never draw attention to yourself.
Be awake and attentive, fully present where you are.
Be polite with everyone.
Listen carefully when people speak to you.
When speaking, speak simply, clearly, firmly and directly.
Don't complain, grumble, murmur or whine.
Accept criticism gratefully and test it carefully.
Don't defend or justify yourself.
Don't seek or expect either pity or praise from others.
Be strict with yourself and merciful with others.
Don't compare yourself with anyone else.
Don't judge anyone for anything.
Give advice only when asked or obligated to do so.
Have no expectations except to be fiercely tempted to your last breath.
Endure the trial of yourself and your own faults and sins serenely, knowing that God's mercy is greater than your wretchedness.
Get help when you need it, without fear or shame.
When you fall, get up immediately and start over.
I found a screenshot of this today. Thank you for posting it years ago.

User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28514
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Re:

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:31 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:15 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:00 pm
40 Maxims for Christian Living in the New Year

By Father Thomas Hopko

Be always with Christ and trust God in everything.
Go to Church, confession and communion regularly.
Read the Scriptures regularly.
Spend some time in silence each day.
Pray as you can and not as you want.
Keep a rule of prayer.
Say the Lord's Prayer several times a day.
Do some prostrations when you pray.
Have a short prayer (like the Jesus Prayer) that you constantly repeat when your mind is not occupied
with other things.
Cultivate communion with the saints.
Have a daily schedule of activities, avoiding whim and caprice.
Have a healthy, wholesome hobby.
Eat good foods in moderation. Fast as the Church teaches.
Exercise regularly.
Read good books a little at a time.
Face reality. Don't get lost in imagination and fantasy.
Be totally honest, first of all with yourself.
Do your work.
Do the most difficult and painful things first.
Be faithful in little things.
Do acts of mercy and compassion secretly.
Be grateful in all things.
Be cheerful.
Be simple, hidden and quiet. Never draw attention to yourself.
Be awake and attentive, fully present where you are.
Be polite with everyone.
Listen carefully when people speak to you.
When speaking, speak simply, clearly, firmly and directly.
Don't complain, grumble, murmur or whine.
Accept criticism gratefully and test it carefully.
Don't defend or justify yourself.
Don't seek or expect either pity or praise from others.
Be strict with yourself and merciful with others.
Don't compare yourself with anyone else.
Don't judge anyone for anything.
Give advice only when asked or obligated to do so.
Have no expectations except to be fiercely tempted to your last breath.
Endure the trial of yourself and your own faults and sins serenely, knowing that God's mercy is greater than your wretchedness.
Get help when you need it, without fear or shame.
When you fall, get up immediately and start over.
I found a screenshot of this today. Thank you for posting it years ago.
day gone. This be some serious CPS coolness, yo. gonya TNLP
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21841
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Jocose » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Image

Part of my prayer corner
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Image

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 22248
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:30 pm

Image

Only one on this eastern wall in the dining area.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 17914
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:21 am

Jocose wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:22 pm
Image

Part of my prayer corner
Who's that in the middle?

User avatar
j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1402
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: southeast of the northwest territories
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by j1n » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:55 am

noticed Jocose's prayer rope there. Do any of you folks use one?
I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 22248
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Thunktank » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:09 pm

j1n wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:55 am
noticed Jocose's prayer rope there. Do any of you folks use one?
I have a wrist sized one, it gets use. It fits well in my pocket too.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21841
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Jocose » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:09 pm
j1n wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:55 am
noticed Jocose's prayer rope there. Do any of you folks use one?
I have a wrist sized one, it gets use. It fits well in my pocket too.
Image


My daily driver
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Image

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 38531
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Del » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:07 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:11 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:09 pm
j1n wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:55 am
noticed Jocose's prayer rope there. Do any of you folks use one?
I have a wrist sized one, it gets use. It fits well in my pocket too.
Image


My daily driver
Tell us Rosary bead tellers about the Eastern Prayer Rope, please!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1402
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: southeast of the northwest territories
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by j1n » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:09 pm
I have a wrist sized one, it gets use. It fits well in my pocket too.
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:11 pm
Image

My daily driver
do you guys wear them throughout the day? I was wondering about that because I see people wearing rosaries as necklaces and I think my wife's RC grandparents are probably turning over in their graves because of that trend. But it seems the Orthodox prayer ropes are meant to be worn...?
I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

User avatar
j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1402
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: southeast of the northwest territories
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by j1n » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:07 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:11 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:09 pm
j1n wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:55 am
noticed Jocose's prayer rope there. Do any of you folks use one?
I have a wrist sized one, it gets use. It fits well in my pocket too.
Image


My daily driver
Tell us Rosary bead tellers about the Eastern Prayer Rope, please!
I don't know if other prayers are used also, but I know that people say the Jesus Prayer...once for each knot.
I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

Post Reply