Simple Pleasures

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:31 pm

Preacherman wrote:And of you guys ever done any Flyfishing???
Yes. Tons. That's my preferred method. I have spent a lot of time flyfishing the tiny mountain streams for tiny little trout (and the occasional bigger one) back home. I love it. Mostly rainbows and browns back in E. TN. now, because they usually outcompete the native brookies for food and cover. You can still find them if you're willing to work for it, and you're looking above 3000ft. elevation. I have been saying for years I was going to get more into flyfishing down here (FL), but I haven't really spent much time with it yet.
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

Preacherman
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Location: Truth is - I'm a 'REAL Baptist' no matter where I am!!!!!!!

Post by Preacherman » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:39 pm

Sand we, my Wife, my Dad, and I used to spend days 'Fly-Fishing'.

When the Brim were on the 'bed' you could catch enough to have a Fish-Fry and a half - goooooooooood eating too.

I never fished for trout, but would have loved to have done so back when I was a youngun.

FL you say??? I'll bet you could tie some dry flies with deer hair, (big Bugs really), and have a blast with some of those huge FL bass!!!

A five or six pound bass could give a fellow quite a fight on a #4 or #6 fly rod... :D
"Give a man an open Bible, an open mind, a conscience in good working order, and he will have a hard time to keep from being a Baptist." ATR

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:44 pm

The majority of my flyfishing days were spent after trout, but that's not to say I didn't spend my fair share after bass & blue gill as well. You're right about the deerhair poppers. They work wonders about this time of year at dawn. As for 5-6 lbers, I once caught a 5.5 lb. rainbow trout on my little 5wt. flyrod, with a tapered leader tipped with 1lb test tippet. That was an epic battle. It seemed like it took days to work him in, as I was very afraid he'd break off before I could get my hands on him.
-Kip, aka SandPiper

Preacherman
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Preacherman » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:45 pm

SandPiper wrote:The majority of my flyfishing days were spent after trout, but that's not to say I didn't spend my fair share after bass & blue gill as well. You're right about the deerhair poppers. They work wonders about this time of year at dawn. As for 5-6 lbers, I once caught a 5.5 lb. rainbow trout on my little 5wt. flyrod, with a tapered leader tipped with 1lb test tippet. That was an epic battle. It seemed like it took days to work him in, as I was very afraid he'd break off before I could get my hands on him.

A 5.5lb. bass on a 5 power Fly-rod - 1lb. tippet - and you say "Epic Battle"??? That sounds the most underestimated statement of the year... :lol: More like WWIII. You did good to 'land' him!!!

My wife and I used to drive from North Central Mississippi to Memphis to buy Rooster Hackle and tie our own dry flys. I had the little vice, hackle pliers, thread,..............boy, some memories are great.

At that time I worked in a slaughter-house, we also used 'kip tail' hair, (unborn calf tails), to tie both flies for brim and jigs for crappie.

Youknow guys, I'd almost give my left arm to relive those days again!!! Too serious, sorry.

Hey, equpipment for a second;

My Wife bought me a Fenwick 6 power fly rod once - I loved - used it about a year...

...then I was in Memphis and bought an Orvis 4 power...Sand, everyone, that Orvis rod 'taught' me to Fly-Fish. That was a 'REAL' Fly-Rod!!!!!!! The action of that Orvis made casting effortless - it almost cast its' self. And being a 4 power made catching a big blue-gill like wrestleing with a whale, (well a small whale... :lol: ).

What kind of Fly-Rod do you use Sand???

Didn't mean to hijack the thread- some of you other guys jump in here too.
"Give a man an open Bible, an open mind, a conscience in good working order, and he will have a hard time to keep from being a Baptist." ATR

GScott
In Memoriam - Geezer "Juxtaposition" Extraordinaire

Post by GScott » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:45 pm

I don't use a fly rod...I use a fly swatter! :P (you asked me to jump in)

Preacherman
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Preacherman » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:19 am

GScott wrote:I don't use a fly rod...I use a fly swatter! :P (you asked me to jump in)

That's cool, if you have a swatter that can handle a five pound bass, more power to ya... :lol:

GScott

Post by GScott » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:51 am

:lol:

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:01 am

Preacherman wrote:My wife and I used to drive from North Central Mississippi to Memphis to buy Rooster Hackle and tie our own dry flys. I had the little vice, hackle pliers, thread,..............boy, some memories are great.

At that time I worked in a slaughter-house, we also used 'kip tail' hair, (unborn calf tails), to tie both flies for brim and jigs for crappie.
Yep, I've got all those toys as well. I tied flies for more than a year before I cast my first flyrod. It has always been the biggest thrill to catch a fish with something I made myself (although, admittedly I'm no Lefty Kreh). I still have box after box of feathers, furs, and synthetics of all kinds around. I used to work with a taxidermist who would clean out h is freezer once a year and give me all the fur and birds that people had dropped off and never picked up...saved me hundreds of dollars in pheasant,goose, turkey, and wood duck feathers; not to mention all the furs of every kind. I don't do much tying any more, except once or twice a year I'll tie up some crappie flies for my uncle back home (squirrel tail seems to work well for that).
Preacherman wrote:Hey, equpipment for a second;

My Wife bought me a Fenwick 6 power fly rod once - I loved - used it about a year...

...then I was in Memphis and bought an Orvis 4 power...Sand, everyone, that Orvis rod 'taught' me to Fly-Fish. That was a 'REAL' Fly-Rod!!!!!!! The action of that Orvis made casting effortless - it almost cast its' self. And being a 4 power made catching a big blue-gill like wrestleing with a whale, (well a small whale... :lol: ).

What kind of Fly-Rod do you use Sand???
I've never been lucky (rich) enough to own an Orvis flyrod. I have tried and enjoyed G. Loomis pretty well. But, I have to say that my best performing flyrod is that little 5 wt I mentioned earlier. It's an old, beatup "Eagle Claw" that I got for a whopping $12 about 15 years ago. It is small 6.5', #5. It is exactly what you need for those tiny little mountain streams back home, because the trees grow across the stream, and there's not a lot of headroom for a big rod. That thing has been used & abused, and has stood the test of time. I have had much, much more expensive rods, but few that I have enjoyed as much.
Preacherman wrote:That's cool, if you have a swatter that can handle a five pound bass, more power to ya...:)
-Kip, aka SandPiper

Preacherman
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Preacherman » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:47 am

I had almost forgotten about squirrel tails - I used to hunt 'fox' squirrels back home - that ole red/orange fur sure made some pretty flies.

Eagle Claw really did make somevery fine rods. Price/quality wise, they may have been some of the best deals going.

OH MY, a combination tool; a Fly/bass/elephant swatter... :lol:

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:39 am

An empty moving truck after the work is done
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:50 am

coming home and finding that your wife has restocked the fridge with your favorite beer.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by PipeAndPint » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:47 pm

When I clicked on this thread, I thought for an instant that PM had re-emerged. Then I saw that his post was from last October.
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:49 pm

Pee-ing when you really, really have to!

PhilioG
A Mïnïstër
A Mïnïstër

Post by PhilioG » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:42 pm

UncleBob, you read my mind. I really, really have to pee right now...I'll be back........

Whewwwwwww!
"God writes a lot of comedy... the trouble is, he's stuck with so many bad actors who don't know how to play funny."
Garrison Keillor

MDPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by MDPiper » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:48 pm

PipeAndPint wrote:When I clicked on this thread, I thought for an instant that PM had re-emerged. Then I saw that his post was from last October.
Same here! JB is resurrecting the dead... posters that is.
Gitty Up!

Nathaniel_Firethorn
It's not fake and I can prove it.

Post by Nathaniel_Firethorn » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:22 pm

Flannel sheets on a cold winter night

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:51 pm

Going an entire night with out a toddler jumping in bed with you.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

Chip
Usher
Usher

Post by Chip » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:29 pm

getting a call from your daughter at college... just to say "Love you Daddy!"
Chip Richter ~ www.chiprichter.com

Nathaniel_Firethorn

Post by Nathaniel_Firethorn » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:26 pm

Interesting to note how many of these have to do with sleeping... :zzz:

Another one: Waking up in the morning after a good night's sleep, without having to get on an airplane.

~\U NF

Andrew
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:31 pm

A windy snowstorm outside, but me, warm by a fire smoking a pipe.