What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:33 pm

The Treasure Hunter's Manual #7 by Karl Von Mueller. I also have THM #6. They are out of print but I found these two online. I like metal detecting and these books have good stories about the pre-metal detector days and the early days of hunting treasure with metal detectors. I have a Garrett AT-Max. I haven't found the pot of gold yet, but I have found some old coins and I found an old spoon on the beach from the U.S. Light House Service. I have permission to hunt a farm where a Confederate camp/fort/battery was located on the Pamlico River during the Civil War but it's too hot and snakey to go there now. Maybe I'll find a stolen CSA Payroll chest filled with gold coins there. I also hunted a creek about 20 years ago that ran through an abandoned 19th century gold mine town called "Argo". I found nothing at all except some cool quartz rocks. No Trespassing signs were everywhere but in NC all navigatably waterways are open to the public.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:43 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:31 am
David McCullough, The Pioneers. I've read several of his books. I love how he writes history, like a novel that you can't put down.

I keep meaning to get around to reading McCullough. Which of his works would you recommend as a starting point for someone who has never read him?
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:27 pm

The Human Person, A Beginner's Thomistic Psychology
by Steven J. JensenImage
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:00 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:43 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:31 am
David McCullough, The Pioneers. I've read several of his books. I love how he writes history, like a novel that you can't put down.

I keep meaning to get around to reading McCullough. Which of his works would you recommend as a starting point for someone who has never read him?
I've read The Great Bridge (building of the colossal Brooklyn Bridge). Truman, John Adams, and The Wright Brothers. I'm only at the beginning of The Pioneers, yet I would say this one is a good starting point. Because it writes so personably and draws the reader in. Next to this one, I'd say The Great Bridge.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:58 pm

+JMJ+

Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan Vol. 17: Philosophical and Theological Papers 1965-1980 by Bernard Lonergan

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Trying to learn more about creationism. Figured I would start out with someone well known. Not impressed so far.

Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

friar_jay
Usher
Usher

Post by friar_jay » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Just about to start...

Grace and Peace to You,
Jason+

Virginia Middle Peninsula Pipe Community

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:36 pm

Just finished George Orwell's 1984

Just started Susan Cain's Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:48 pm

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:03 am

wosbald wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:58 pm
+JMJ+

Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan Vol. 17: Philosophical and Theological Papers 1965-1980 by Bernard Lonergan

Lonergan is a light read. Wos, what do you read when you want to really sink your teeth into something?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:39 am

I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Post by arank87 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Finally reading The Screwtape letters.
"You can call me, Al" - Me

mont974x4
Wild Thing
Wild Thing

Post by mont974x4 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Actually it’s an audiobook this time. The Art of War.

It’s part of a three book set that includes Princes by Machiavelli and The Five Rings.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:08 pm

+JMJ+
Goose55 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:03 am
Lonergan is a light read. Wos, what do you read when you want to really sink your teeth into something?
:wink:

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:43 pm

The Great Hunt - by Robert Jordan

I've read this in print twice, and I have a hardcover edition signed by the author. Enjoying the audiobook now via Audible. Normally I am not into audiobooks, but I like the narrators who read The Wheel of Time.
- C.S. Lewis

DAN
Minister to Occupy Democrats
Minister to Occupy Democrats

Post by DAN » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:35 pm

Oh, look what just came in...

I don't always choose sig lines just to tick someone off, but when I do, it's on CPS.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:48 pm

+JMJ+

Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan Vol. 18: Phenomenology and Logic: The Boston College Lectures on Mathematical Logic and Existentialism by Bernard Lonergan

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco