What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 am

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:18 pm

I really know how to party.

"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:41 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:18 pm

That's a good time there...Party-On friend
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:54 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:41 am
JimVH wrote:

The movie is better.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:56 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:54 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:41 am
JimVH wrote:

The movie is better.
Chortle.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

Benton629
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Benton629 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:10 am

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:19 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 am
Hey Fred:

Book came out in 2006, but somehow I missed it ...

I saw that Rick Bass was a contributor.
Would you mind listing some of the others?

Thanks.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:35 am

Written before, The Singular Universe and the Realty of Time (which I read a while back). This one provides some important context for the second book which I’d read out of order.

I’ve got some extra time to catch up on this, one of my secondary academic interests - redeeming the time, as it were.

:pipe3:

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:44 am

I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:12 am

We await silent Trystero's empire.
"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:50 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:35 am

Written before, The Singular Universe and the Realty of Time (which I read a while back). This one provides some important context for the second book which I’d read out of order.

I’ve got some extra time to catch up on this, one of my secondary academic interests - redeeming the time, as it were.

Interesting. Feel free to write a summary when you have opportunity.

The study of physics in the academic realm (pre-research activity) is predominantly a study of history and methods of how to think and approach problems. The classics are mechanics, classical electricity and magnetism, and quantum mechanics as well as a dash of solid state, statistical and thermal physics, optics, nuclear physics, atomic physics, etc. All to prep the student on how to problem solve and approach the problems of current research or opportunities in engineering.

Then you get philosophy-- is our discrete approach to breaking down problems a representative of reality (truly)? This looks like that type of book-- an analysis of the philosophy of physics (consequences of the parts taken to an extreme). Life is always more than the sum of the parts- or at least our view of what the parts are. Yet, those parts have provided so much success in application. Remarkable!
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:23 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:19 am
FredS wrote:
Hey Fred:

Thanks.
Mr Bass, who's name perhaps predestined him to love and protect water, wrote the forward. Know anyone listed?
Image Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:20 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:23 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:19 am
FredS wrote:
Hey Fred:

Thanks.
Mr Bass, who's name perhaps predestined him to love and protect water, wrote the forward. Know anyone listed?
Image Image
Thanks for the photos, Fred.

It's a bit strange, but I don't even recognize those authors' names, let alone know any of them, except for Clarissa Pinkola Estés with whom I participated in a program sponsored by the state arts council back in the 80s. That was just before she became a famous wolf woman.

In fact, we were working together at a summer arts program for gifted children the day she got the acceptance letter from a publisher for Women Who Run with the Wolves. I also recall, that was the day she began to think of herself as famous - a not entirely pleasant change of self-perception.

The Front Range fishing authors I do know and have met, all of whom fish the Poudre and some might even call it their home water (Gierach, Best, Engle), are strangely missing from the list?? You'd think that the world of Colorado river writers would be a small one and we'd all know each other.

Apparently not! Or maybe I've just gotten old and this is a new generation of writers I haven't crossed paths with.

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:41 pm

Many are very local writers, and many are or have been faculty at CSU. Others have worked for the forestry services or the local newspaper or grew up on nearby ranches. Most of those I've read so far have obviously been intimate with the river so I think they have the chops to speak on her behalf, even if I don't agree with what they have to say.

And I understand the problem of *crunchy women (or men, but mostly women) who consider themselves to be more important than they are and are vocal about it.

*crunchy
Adjective. Used to describe persons who have adjusted or altered their lifestyle for environmental reasons. Crunchy persons tend to be politically strongly left-leaning and may be additionally but not exclusively categorized as vegetarians, vegans, eco-tarians, conservationists, environmentalists, neo-hippies, tree huggers, nature enthusiasts, etc. Derived from the concept of crunchy granola.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:51 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:50 am
durangopipe wrote:

The study of physics in the academic realm (pre-research activity) is predominantly a study of history and methods of how to think and approach problems. The classics are mechanics, classical electricity and magnetism, and quantum mechanics as well as a dash of solid state, statistical and thermal physics, optics, nuclear physics, atomic physics, etc. All to prep the student on how to problem solve and approach the problems of current research or opportunities in engineering.

Then you get philosophy-- is our discrete approach to breaking down problems a representative of reality (truly)? This looks like that type of book-- an analysis of the philosophy of physics (consequences of the parts taken to an extreme). Life is always more than the sum of the parts- or at least our view of what the parts are. Yet, those parts have provided so much success in application. Remarkable!
Preliminary thoughts:

Smolin is a theoretical physicist who works at the Perimeter Institute in Canada. He was once one of the leading researchers in the field of String Theory. A couple of years ago he wrote the book, The Singular Universe and the Reality of Time with Robert Unger, a philosopher of science. I posted a bit about it in this thread long ago. Rusty and I had a rather lengthy PM correspondence about it before he passed.

Both Smolin and Unger had become disenchanted with the path taken by contemporary theoretical physics, in that it had grown farther and farther away from the single most important distinguishing characteristic of the epistemic method of science: experimental verification. I won't bother with details here. I believe that statement captures the essence of their concern.

A consequence of that distancing from experimental verification has been the growth of lines of theoretical inquiry that have produced radical theories regarding the nature of time and the possibility of numerous, possibly an infinite number, of simultaneously existing universes. Smolin and Unger wrote the book to assert the legitimacy of the position that the classical notion of time and the singularity of the universe were supportable both scientifically and philosophically.

It was a wonderfully argued book, beautifully written. I read it (along with others and some papers) in preparation for lectures a philosophy professor friend and colleague and I were delivering together.

But I had not read the previous book by Smolin, "The Trouble with Physics." This book, written in 2006, traces Smolin's work in String Theory, his gradual disenchantment with that line of research, and what he came to believe about both String Theory and the way theoretical physics is now being conducted.

I believe the research, thinking and writing of both Smolin and Unger are significant elaborations of similar work done by a previous physicist and historian/philosopher of science, Thomas Kuhn, that resulted in the 1962 publication of his book, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. That book, hugely controversial at the time, has continued to generate controversy and has been revised and reissued in subsequent editions that continue to elaborate on the development of the ideas first argued there. Many (I'm among them) consider it one of the most significant and influential books of the 20th century. It's language and concepts have leaked into all fields since, many individuals using them without even knowing where they originated: paradigm formation, paradigm shift, etc.

I felt I needed to read The Trouble with Physics to fill a gap in my reading about the development of this line of thought. And here we are in coronavirus time, with more time than usual during the term to read far more broadly than what's necessary for my courses!

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:24 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:51 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:50 am
durangopipe wrote:

Preliminary thoughts:

Smolin is a theoretical physicist who works at the Perimeter Institute in Canada. He was once one of the leading researchers in the field of String Theory. A couple of years ago he wrote the book, The Singular Universe and the Reality of Time with Robert Unger, a philosopher of science. I posted a bit about it in this thread long ago. Rusty and I had a rather lengthy PM correspondence about it before he passed.

Both Smolin and Unger had become disenchanted with the path taken by contemporary theoretical physics, in that it had grown farther and farther away from the single most important distinguishing characteristic of the epistemic method of science: experimental verification. I won't bother with details here. I believe that statement captures the essence of their concern.

A consequence of that distancing from experimental verification has been the growth of lines of theoretical inquiry that have produced radical theories regarding the nature of time and the possibility of numerous, possibly an infinite number, of simultaneously existing universes. Smolin and Unger wrote the book to assert the legitimacy of the position that the classical notion of time and the singularity of the universe were supportable both scientifically and philosophically.

It was a wonderfully argued book, beautifully written. I read it (along with others and some papers) in preparation for lectures a philosophy professor friend and colleague and I were delivering together.

But I had not read the previous book by Smolin, "The Trouble with Physics." This book, written in 2006, traces Smolin's work in String Theory, his gradual disenchantment with that line of research, and what he came to believe about both String Theory and the way theoretical physics is now being conducted.

I believe the research, thinking and writing of both Smolin and Unger are significant elaborations of similar work done by a previous physicist and historian/philosopher of science, Thomas Kuhn, that resulted in the 1962 publication of his book, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. That book, hugely controversial at the time, has continued to generate controversy and has been revised and reissued in subsequent editions that continue to elaborate on the development of the ideas first argued there. Many (I'm among them) consider it one of the most significant and influential books of the 20th century. It's language and concepts have leaked into all fields since, many individuals using them without even knowing where they originated: paradigm formation, paradigm shift, etc.

I felt I needed to read The Trouble with Physics to fill a gap in my reading about the development of this line of thought. And here we are in coronavirus time, with more time than usual during the term to read far more broadly than what's necessary for my courses!
Very interesting. Thank you for the background and summary thoughts. The power of experimental verification and prediction is the cornerstone of the scientific method. Theoretical considerations of the very small, the very far away, the very distant past, or the very distant future shift further and further away from verifcation and validation and further and further toward philosophy or potentially "science fiction" (here, science fiction is the "what if this were true what would the ramification be..."). It's a challenging problem but the main issue is "equivalent footing" for testable vs. non-testable for the sciences. Most that don't pursue the rigor and the method don't think about the differences.

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

DAN
Minister to Occupy Democrats
Minister to Occupy Democrats

Post by DAN » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:52 pm

I don't always choose sig lines just to tick someone off, but when I do, it's on CPS.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:02 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:41 pm
*crunchy
Adjective. Used to describe persons who have adjusted or altered their lifestyle for environmental reasons. Crunchy persons tend to be politically strongly left-leaning and may be additionally but not exclusively categorized as vegetarians, vegans, eco-tarians, conservationists, environmentalists, neo-hippies, tree huggers, nature enthusiasts, etc. Derived from the concept of crunchy granola.
Great word!

vwdeano
Filled with Guilt and Shame over My Cherry Aro Addiction
Filled with Guilt and Shame over My Cherry Aro Addiction

Post by vwdeano » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:30 am

Been reading a couple of the "Bryant and May" mysteries by Christopher Fowler... Good stuff.

I've also started back through my "Cat Who" mysteries again-Lillian Jackson Braun...

Don't judge me... Mysteries rock.
Dean
"A dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself"

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:31 am

Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne