What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by wosbald » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:19 pm

+JMJ+
Tatanka wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:39 pm
I'm questioning my 'reason' and ?'s of the mysterious parts of me...that prompted me to buy and read, almost half way through, Steinbeck's "Cannery Row." What does the Holy Spirit think when HE seems me reading something that - - so far just has me echoing the ? repeatedly: "Why am I reading this and wasting time?"
Cuz it's part of modern, American, Western Canon?

Seems like a good enuf reason.

(Though, no, I never read it, FWIW.)

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:03 pm

I know and recognized before I ordered it that it was of a non-Christ center, but without any known understanding of my own ? motives, I wanted to read something secular for relaxation "only". My wife reads novels on by Christian authors, and I guess I should forget this ??? desire to being able to say "yes, I've read so-in-so" of popular authors, and leave my loved Western novels, and go to something with a Christian focus. My carnal nature is yelling, "I want this!"
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:43 am

coco wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:04 pm
Adam Z wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:42 pm
coco wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:35 pm
Knife of Dreams, book eleven of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
This is, perhaps, the best-written book in the series by Jordan. I think that a great deal of what I find to be unpleasant in Jordan's previous books was due to his haste. I suspect that it would have been a truly monumental work of fiction if he had written, say, seven books in the entire series.
Totally agree that it's the best-written book in the series. I'm really happy that the last book he wrote in its entirety (there were portions of the last 3 that he wrote, but Sanderson wrote the bulk of them) was his best writing & he got to go out with a bang, showing his critics that despite the couple previous entries that many call "The Slog" - he hadn't lost the "it" factor.

Opinions are slightly divided on the 3 Sanderson books - I'm in the camp that really enjoyed them. They're not perfect, but I can't imagine anyone who could've done a better job. There were better writers they could've chosen, and there were people who knew more about The Wheel of Time who they could've chosen, but I doubt there is a better writer who also loved & knew more about The Wheel of Time than Brandon Sanderson.

Hoping you enjoy the rest of the series as much as I did!
I've started The Gathering Storm. My initial impression is that Sanderson is a better writer when it comes to sentences and paragraphs. I will have to see how he does on the overall plot and creating a unified book.
The main knock against Sanderson (and he admits this himself) is characterization of Mat. He's a fun POV character to read & a fan-favorite, but Sanderson found him difficult to write, and many readers pick up on this.
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:53 am

Tatanka wrote:
I'm questioning my 'reason' and ?'s of the mysterious parts of me...that prompted me to buy and read, almost half way through, Steinbeck's "Cannery Row." What does the Holy Spirit think when HE seems me reading something that - - so far just has me echoing the ? repeatedly: "Why am I reading this and wasting time?"
I get what you're saying, but I think we have liberty to enjoy in moderation a work of fiction for relaxation even if it isn't written by an author with a christian worldview. Do you also feel guilty every time you watch a film, tv show or a televised sporting event? That's not to say that consumption of any/all content is healthy for a christ-follower, and I can't speak specifically to Cannery Row (having never read it), but generally speaking I don't see there being any sin inherent in this.

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:06 am

Tatanka wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:03 pm
I know and recognized before I ordered it that it was of a non-Christ center, but without any known understanding of my own ? motives, I wanted to read something secular for relaxation "only". My wife reads novels on by Christian authors, and I guess I should forget this ??? desire to being able to say "yes, I've read so-in-so" of popular authors, and leave my loved Western novels, and go to something with a Christian focus. My carnal nature is yelling, "I want this!"
C'mon man, you're old enough to know this deal. It's not wrong or necessarily sinful to read Steinbeck. Cannery Row is all about the imperfect human condition. Don't read it so you can tell others you have, and don't not read it because it's not your wife's style. But if it's causing internal struggles then why do it? If the struggle outweighs the enjoyment then put it down and go back to the westerns you enjoy.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:00 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:43 am
coco wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:04 pm
Adam Z wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:42 pm
coco wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:35 pm
Knife of Dreams, book eleven of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
This is, perhaps, the best-written book in the series by Jordan. I think that a great deal of what I find to be unpleasant in Jordan's previous books was due to his haste. I suspect that it would have been a truly monumental work of fiction if he had written, say, seven books in the entire series.
Totally agree that it's the best-written book in the series. I'm really happy that the last book he wrote in its entirety (there were portions of the last 3 that he wrote, but Sanderson wrote the bulk of them) was his best writing & he got to go out with a bang, showing his critics that despite the couple previous entries that many call "The Slog" - he hadn't lost the "it" factor.

Opinions are slightly divided on the 3 Sanderson books - I'm in the camp that really enjoyed them. They're not perfect, but I can't imagine anyone who could've done a better job. There were better writers they could've chosen, and there were people who knew more about The Wheel of Time who they could've chosen, but I doubt there is a better writer who also loved & knew more about The Wheel of Time than Brandon Sanderson.

Hoping you enjoy the rest of the series as much as I did!
I've started The Gathering Storm. My initial impression is that Sanderson is a better writer when it comes to sentences and paragraphs. I will have to see how he does on the overall plot and creating a unified book.
The main knock against Sanderson (and he admits this himself) is characterization of Mat. He's a fun POV character to read & a fan-favorite, but Sanderson found him difficult to write, and many readers pick up on this.
I could see how people wouldn't like that. Jordan does some of his best and most believable writing with Mat, the ne'er-do-well with the arcane knowledge of a thousand great generals, who is confused by women, particularly Tuon. Messing up that one character would be enough for a lot of people to hate you.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:27 pm

I'm reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:57 pm

I'm reading Atomic Habits.

As for secular books and movies, I believe God wants us to experience joy and we can learn from all manner of information whether secular or Christian. If I'm wrong, my sins are covered. My best friend is a Presbyterian minister. His choice of movie to watch when he visited a while back was Stepbrothers. :lol: :lol: Pretty sure his sins are covered too.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:42 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:06 am
Tatanka wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:03 pm
C'mon man, you're old enough to know this deal. It's not wrong or necessarily sinful to read Steinbeck. Cannery Row is all about the imperfect human condition. Don't read it so you can tell others you have, and don't not read it because it's not your wife's style. But if it's causing internal struggles then why do it? If the struggle outweighs the enjoyment then put it down and go back to the westerns you enjoy.
You speak TRUTH! Thanks.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:45 am

wosbald wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:19 pm
+JMJ+
Tatanka wrote:
Cuz it's part of modern, American, Western Canon?

Seems like a good enuf reason.

(Though, no, I never read it, FWIW.)
But another good thought, which I'm putting into practice.
Soli Deo Gloria!

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:48 am

Adam Z wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:53 am
Tatanka wrote:
I get what you're saying, but I think we have liberty to enjoy in moderation a work of fiction for relaxation even if it isn't written by an author with a christian worldview. Do you also feel guilty every time you watch a film, tv show or a televised sporting event? That's not to say that consumption of any/all content is healthy for a christ-follower, and I can't speak specifically to Cannery Row (having never read it), but generally speaking I don't see there being any sin inherent in this.
Thanks! Again, I appreciate these comments. I fear my perfectionistic up-bringing, with distorted "religious" emphasis, left brand marks still visible at times. Appreciate these good, balanced, reasonable come-backs to my post. Thanks brothers all !
Soli Deo Gloria!

TheShepherd
Congregation
Congregation

Post by TheShepherd » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:08 am

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:58 am

Awe: Why it Mattes For Everything We Think, Say, & Do by Paul David Tripp

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:38 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:58 am

We frequently read from his devotional book "New Morning Mercies, a daily Gospel devotional." I wish I had his wisdom and ability for writing....good stuff.
Soli Deo Gloria!

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:06 am

Tatanka wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:38 pm
Adam Z wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:58 am

We frequently read from his devotional book "New Morning Mercies, a daily Gospel devotional." I wish I had his wisdom and ability for writing....good stuff.
I frequently read from New Morning Mercies as well. Good stuff indeed!

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:23 pm

+JMJ+

Abstract Sex: Philosophy, Bio-Technology and the Mutations of Desire by Luciana Parisi

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:09 am

wosbald wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:23 pm
+JMJ+

Abstract Sex: Philosophy, Bio-Technology and the Mutations of Desire by Luciana Parisi

This could be an alternate title for Cannery Row.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

What book are you reading?

Post by Adam Z » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:00 pm

The Hero of Ages (Mistborn book 3) by Brandon Sanderson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:50 pm

Just finishedImage

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty