What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JWTre
Congregation
Congregation

Re:

Post by JWTre » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:43 am

Skip wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:35 am
"The God Who Is There" - Schaeffer (yup, me, too)
"Orthodoxy" - Chesterton (leading the study on that one)
"Blue Like Jazz" - Miller (my daughter got me hooked on this one)
"The Wee Free Men" - Pratchett (Crivens!)
Orthodoxy is one of my favorite books.

I was in class last spring and my professor and I had a "squee" moment when we realized we were fellow shamus.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:08 pm

I had time to do a lot of recreational reading over break. Break just ended, and this is the last book I read:

Recommend it. It’s hysterically funny, until it isn’t.
And absolutely accurate and true.
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:19 am

The Coming Prince, by Sir Robert Anderson. "Reading" may be an overstatement. "Attempting to read" is a better description.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:59 pm

“Present Concerns” Journalistic Essays by C.S. Lewis.

Absolutely brilliant stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:11 pm

"Perfectly Confident" by Don A. Moore - A good look at calibrating and balancing one's confidence in any particular area (NOT a book to pump you up to be more confident, necessarily). If you like analytical decision making, Annie Duke type stuff, this is a good take on that.

"How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems from Randall Munroe of xkcd" - A fun take on a variety of topics with an eye to the scientifically possible but ridiculous. If xkcd.com is your speed, you'll like this as well as his other "What If..." book.

"The Dichotomy of Leadership" by Wilinks and Babin. It's the sequel to the excellent "Extreme Ownership," and, like that one was, is part of a group reading project at work with my fellow managers. Just 1 chapter in, but it's promising to be a solid read.

-Andrew

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:36 pm

In Plain Sight, CJ Box

Book six in the Joe Pickett series. If this reincarnation thing turns out to be for real, I want to be a game warden next time.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President

Post by wosbald » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:18 pm

+JMJ+

Love and Truth: The Christian Path of Charity by Jean Borella

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:39 pm

Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 pm

coco wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:39 pm
Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan
Many think this is a low point in the series in terms of what the fandom has called "The Slog". I'll admit that the first time I read it, I took a long break before continuing the series. I enjoyed the book much more the second time. If it seems like the story is meandering too much & it's way too much set up for other stuff, be encouraged to know that RJ went out with a bang, as the next volume (which was also the last published before his death) Knife of Dreams is thought by many fans to be one of the best books he ever wrote - a sentiment that I agree with.
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:06 pm

+JMJ+

The Discovery of God by Henri de Lubac

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:57 am

I’m still reading the Upland Shooting Life by George Bird Evans. I read a few pages a day. I’m gonna buckle down and finish it this week though. I also read A Fly Rod of Your Own and No Shortage of Good Days, both by John Gierach. I love his writing.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:30 am

For a second read, I picked up an extremely OLD small book containing twelve sermons on the Holy Spirit by some guy named Charles H. Spurgeon. Feels like his spirit returned to tap me on the shoulder time and again, and when I turn to see who it is, he just points to the last point which stopped my reading, he nods his head in affirmation, points to it again, and I pick up David's oft repeated "Selah" and settle down to contemplate the point longer and receive the rich warm, sacred joy which pulls me closer.

Then I received a book I was not permitted to read growing up just because it was not a Christian book, and I am now enjoying reading some "real writing" which I lost in my growing-up years. This one is the little novel by John Steinbeck, "of Mice and Men." I read his "Travels with Charlie" twice, enjoyed it so much.

Now where is my pipe?
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:06 pm

Fighting Grasshoppers
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:10 pm

+JMJ+

Clang (aka Glas) by Jacques Derrida

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:01 pm

Stinbeck's "Cannery Row."
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:35 pm

Knife of Dreams, book eleven of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
This is, perhaps, the best-written book in the series by Jordan. I think that a great deal of what I find to be unpleasant in Jordan's previous books was due to his haste. I suspect that it would have been a truly monumental work of fiction if he had written, say, seven books in the entire series.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:51 pm

arank87 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:57 am
. . . I also read A Fly Rod of Your Own and No Shortage of Good Days, both by John Gierach. I love his writing.
That makes at least two of us.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:42 pm

coco wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:35 pm
This is, perhaps, the best-written book in the series by Jordan. I think that a great deal of what I find to be unpleasant in Jordan's previous books was due to his haste. I suspect that it would have been a truly monumental work of fiction if he had written, say, seven books in the entire series.
Totally agree that it's the best-written book in the series. I'm really happy that the last book he wrote in its entirety (there were portions of the last 3 that he wrote, but Sanderson wrote the bulk of them) was his best writing & he got to go out with a bang, showing his critics that despite the couple previous entries that many call "The Slog" - he hadn't lost the "it" factor.

Opinions are slightly divided on the 3 Sanderson books - I'm in the camp that really enjoyed them. They're not perfect, but I can't imagine anyone who could've done a better job. There were better writers they could've chosen, and there were people who knew more about The Wheel of Time who they could've chosen, but I doubt there is a better writer who also loved & knew more about The Wheel of Time than Brandon Sanderson.

Hoping you enjoy the rest of the series as much as I did!
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:04 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:42 pm
coco wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:35 pm
Totally agree that it's the best-written book in the series. I'm really happy that the last book he wrote in its entirety (there were portions of the last 3 that he wrote, but Sanderson wrote the bulk of them) was his best writing & he got to go out with a bang, showing his critics that despite the couple previous entries that many call "The Slog" - he hadn't lost the "it" factor.

Opinions are slightly divided on the 3 Sanderson books - I'm in the camp that really enjoyed them. They're not perfect, but I can't imagine anyone who could've done a better job. There were better writers they could've chosen, and there were people who knew more about The Wheel of Time who they could've chosen, but I doubt there is a better writer who also loved & knew more about The Wheel of Time than Brandon Sanderson.

Hoping you enjoy the rest of the series as much as I did!
I've started The Gathering Storm. My initial impression is that Sanderson is a better writer when it comes to sentences and paragraphs. I will have to see how he does on the overall plot and creating a unified book.

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:39 pm

I'm questioning my 'reason' and ?'s of the mysterious parts of me...that prompted me to buy and read, almost half way through, Steinbeck's "Cannery Row." What does the Holy Spirit think when HE seems me reading something that - - so far just has me echoing the ? repeatedly: "Why am I reading this and wasting time?"
Soli Deo Gloria!