What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President
Lonergan Fan Club President

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by wosbald » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:27 pm

+JMJ+
Adam Z wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:20 pm
wosbald wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:35 pm
"Person and Act" and Related Essays: The English Critical Edition of the Works of Karol Wojtyla / John Paul II: Vol. 1 by Karol Wojtyla

Silly question perhaps, but I’m wondering if you know the correct pronunciation of “Wojtyla”. I’m of polish heritage, but all the polish speaking relatives whom I could have asked are now deceased. My best guess has been something like “Woightla” (first syllable rhymes with “Voight”) [shrug]
I'm certainly no speaker m'self, but I''ve been pronouncing it pretty close to what you've got there.

Woit + illa.

Like Jon Voight + Godzilla.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

WSerad
Usher
Usher

Post by WSerad » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:45 pm

Adam Z wrote:
wosbald wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:35 pm
+JMJ+

"Person and Act" and Related Essays: The English Critical Edition of the Works of Karol Wojtyla / John Paul II: Vol. 1 by Karol Wojtyla

Silly question perhaps, but I’m wondering if you know the correct pronunciation of “Wojtyla”. I’m of polish heritage, but all the polish speaking relatives whom I could have asked are now deceased. My best guess has been something like “Woightla” (first syllable rhymes with “Voight”) [shrug]
I thought it was voy tee’ la with a glottal l. But what do I know. I’m not Polish and I’m a Baptist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell. - C. S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:12 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:17 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:38 pm
With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa,
by Eugene Sledge.

Let me know what you think of this. We watched the HBO miniseries “The Pacific” a few months ago, and Eugene Sledge was one of the principal characters. This book was one of the books used as source material for the writers of the series.
This book is very sobering. Difficult to read at times for me, because my son was in 2/5 in Iraq. Sledge was in 3/5, but fought alongside 2/5 and others. I didn't say "served" alongside, but "fought" alongside, because that's what they did. Read it and you won't be the same afterward, as an American, and as a human being.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:32 am

I decided to read about the Wright brothers after visiting Kitty Hawk recently & visiting the museum/memorial dedicated to the memory of the brothers and their work. I asked a park ranger what his recommendation was for the best single volume on the brothers & this was it:

And for those times when I want some light reading, I'm beginning Mistborn Era 2 - oft referred to as the Wax & Wayne books:

So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka