What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29530
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by coco » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:00 pm
Calhoun, David B. In Their Own Words

Image
Did Del recommend that one?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29530
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by coco » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:18 pm

Image
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 9202
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Goose55 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:50 am

coco wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:00 pm
Calhoun, David B. In Their Own Words

Image
Did Del recommend that one?
No, our Tatanka (Jess Dixon) did.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Adam Z » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:01 am

Still working my way through George R.R. Martin's A Dance With Dragons. It would seem there is never enough time to read as much as I'd like. I'm roughly halfway through this one.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3817
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:04 pm

Image

Image

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3817
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:09 pm

Image

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3817
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:20 pm

ReverendThom wrote:Image

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Hmm I think Weiser was a Nazi ...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20222
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by wosbald » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:53 pm

+JMJ+

Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan Vol. 1: Grace and Freedom: Operative Grace in the Thought of St.Thomas Aquinas by Bernard Lonergan

Image

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29530
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by coco » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:31 pm

coco wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:37 pm
coco wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:09 am
Jester wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:07 am
coco wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:56 pm
coco wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:13 pm
coco wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:25 am
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Yes, I am FINALLY reading them.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
I was wondering how long it would take to read through the series in a year. The answer is two chapters a day. It looks like, at your rate, you will finish by the end of February.
Perhaps.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Just finished the last two, The Half-Blood Prince and The Deathly Hallows
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 3844
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington (not Canada)
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:42 pm

What a time for this thread to pop up.

I just finished The Gospel for Real Life by Jerry Bridges and Joni and Ken: An Untold Love Story by Joni Eareckson Tada and Ken Tada.

I'm currently working on Saving the Reformation by W. Robert Godfrey and the entire The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams and The Rational Bible: Exodus by Dennis Prager. I'm also working on Stop Walking on Eggshells by Paul T. Mason and Randi Kreger. Way on the back burner, I'm part way through Father Brown: The Complete Collection by G. K. Chesterton.

Waiting in the wings are Even Better Than Eden by Nancy Guthrie, Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung and I Hate You - Don't Leave Me by Jerold J Kreisman and Hal Straus.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:47 am

Last night I finished Agatha Christie's "Death on the Nile."
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

DAN
Mr. Miracle Whip
Mr. Miracle Whip
Posts: 4876
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by DAN » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:42 pm

Image
I don't always choose sig lines just to tick someone off, but when I do, it's on CPS.

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 4632
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Fainn » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:42 pm

Image
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

User avatar
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by rgcurrey » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Murder in Mesopotamia
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

User avatar
Jester
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1885
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Jester » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:00 am

coco wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:31 pm
coco wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:37 pm
coco wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:09 am
Jester wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:07 am
coco wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:56 pm
coco wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:13 pm
coco wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:25 am
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Yes, I am FINALLY reading them.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
I was wondering how long it would take to read through the series in a year. The answer is two chapters a day. It looks like, at your rate, you will finish by the end of February.
Perhaps.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Just finished the last two, The Half-Blood Prince and The Deathly Hallows
I was off by three days! I read them as they were released so it took me years to finish. I would really like to read them over without the time gap but I can't get myself to read things I have already when there is so much that I haven't read yet.

I started reading around 2000 (I was 12) and finished the last book 3 days after it was released, July 2007 (I was 19). I remember being at Walmart at midnight lined up behind hundreds of little kids waiting for them to open the crates.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:56 pm

I just finished Chapter One of my new NSRV Bible that was delivered today. Not sure if I will switch from the King James yet but it is easier to understand. Not sure if easy is a good thing yet though.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 20222
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by wosbald » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:50 pm

+JMJ+

Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan Vol. 2: Verbum: Word and Idea in Aquinas by Bernard Lonergan

Image

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29530
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by coco » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:37 am

Jester wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:00 am
coco wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:31 pm
coco wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:37 pm
coco wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:09 am
Jester wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:07 am
coco wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:56 pm
coco wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:13 pm
coco wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:25 am
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Yes, I am FINALLY reading them.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
I was wondering how long it would take to read through the series in a year. The answer is two chapters a day. It looks like, at your rate, you will finish by the end of February.
Perhaps.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Just finished the last two, The Half-Blood Prince and The Deathly Hallows
I was off by three days! I read them as they were released so it took me years to finish. I would really like to read them over without the time gap but I can't get myself to read things I have already when there is so much that I haven't read yet.

I started reading around 2000 (I was 12) and finished the last book 3 days after it was released, July 2007 (I was 19). I remember being at Walmart at midnight lined up behind hundreds of little kids waiting for them to open the crates.
You wouldn't have been off by three days if I hadn't read another book in the middle of them.

I'm just glad to have finally caught up on a cultural trend.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25421
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Hovannes » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:39 am

Image
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 22136
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Jocose » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:52 pm

Image

Hopefully no one is offended by this book.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Post Reply