What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
WSerad
Usher
Usher

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by WSerad » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:28 pm

Cello by William Pleeth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell. - C. S. Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:38 pm

Yes, I've started the big one.
"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:01 pm

coco wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:38 pm
:chili:

Bravo! The Wheel of Time is my all-time favorite work of fiction. I’ve read most of the books twice, that one three times (2x print, 1x audio).

Please do share your thought on this as you go through it.
[Insert pithy quote here]

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:35 pm

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:02 pm

Same book, different, eh...book. 2 Peter.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:08 pm

coco wrote:
Oh boy...

Do pause the series if you get sick.... weird sick dreams with reading Wheel of Time can be very disturbing and mess up the book.
<frankly with the author's style.. may he rest in peace... I found after finishing a handful of books that I enjoyed the wiki page summaries more than the thick full novels.>
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:07 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:08 pm
coco wrote:
Oh boy...

Do pause the series if you get sick.... weird sick dreams with reading Wheel of Time can be very disturbing and mess up the book.
<frankly with the author's style.. may he rest in peace... I found after finishing a handful of books that I enjoyed the wiki page summaries more than the thick full novels.>
I'm convinced. Wiki page summaries. Thanks!
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:49 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:07 pm
gaining_age wrote:
coco wrote:
Oh boy...

No, no, NO!!! You miss out on SO FRICKIN MUCH! It's such a rich story. Yes, it's an investment, but it is so worth it!

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:03 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:49 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
coco wrote:
Oh boy...

No, no, NO!!! You miss out on SO FRICKIN MUCH! It's such a rich story. Yes, it's an investment, but it is so worth it!
To be honest.. I got to about book 10 or 11 so it wasn't like I hadn't read repeated lines of description multiple times by that time :)
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:20 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:03 pm
Adam Z wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
coco wrote:
Oh boy...

To be honest.. I got to about book 10 or 11 so it wasn't like I hadn't read repeated lines of description multiple times by that time :)
Ok, there is a little bit of it that even the fans refer to as "the slog" - but the general consensus is that in book 11 (Knife of Dreams, which was also the last one Jordan wrote before his death) Jordan went out with a bang - the pacing is a lot better, and it's one of the high points of the series. Opinions are a little divided on the Sanderson-penned volumes 12-14, but I'm in the camp that says Sanderson did a stellar job with all three books, and I have very little criticism to offer on how he handled the last 3 books. Also, FWIW, on my first readthrough, book 10 (Crossroads of Twilight) was my least favorite entry in the series, but upon my second read through, I really enjoyed it. Without getting into spoiler territory, I think that after what happened at the end of Winter's Heart (book 9) I had some really big expectations for Crossroads of Twilight when I first read it, and since I didn't see what I expected to see in the pages of Crossroads, I was frustrated & disappointed with it. So, yeah, it's a bit of a slow burn at times. The second time I read Crossroads I was better able to appreciate it for what it was rather than being frustrated at it not being what I wanted/expected. I know that doesn't sound like a glowing recommendation on the surface, but consider that my least favorite book in the series was one that I still read twice, and I really enjoyed it on the second reading.

For folks like Coco who are on their first reading, I'd say that even if you don't bother to read it twice, it's still worth it. Despite a couple books where the pacing gets a bit slower than most readers would have liked, it does pick up, and the payoff is worth it. Don't cheat yourself with the Wiki page summaries.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:24 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:20 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:03 pm
Adam Z wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
coco wrote:
Oh boy...

Ok, there is a little bit of it that even the fans refer to as "the slog" - but the general consensus is that in book 11 (Knife of Dreams, which was also the last one Jordan wrote before his death) Jordan went out with a bang - the pacing is a lot better, and it's one of the high points of the series. Opinions are a little divided on the Sanderson-penned volumes 12-14, but I'm in the camp that says Sanderson did a stellar job with all three books, and I have very little criticism to offer on how he handled the last 3 books. Also, FWIW, on my first readthrough, book 10 (Crossroads of Twilight) was my least favorite entry in the series, but upon my second read through, I really enjoyed it. Without getting into spoiler territory, I think that after what happened at the end of Winter's Heart (book 9) I had some really big expectations for Crossroads of Twilight when I first read it, and since I didn't see what I expected to see in the pages of Crossroads, I was frustrated & disappointed with it. So, yeah, it's a bit of a slow burn at times. The second time I read Crossroads I was better able to appreciate it for what it was rather than being frustrated at it not being what I wanted/expected. I know that doesn't sound like a glowing recommendation on the surface, but consider that my least favorite book in the series was one that I still read twice, and I really enjoyed it on the second reading.

For folks like Coco who are on their first reading, I'd say that even if you don't bother to read it twice, it's still worth it. Despite a couple books where the pacing gets a bit slower than most readers would have liked, it does pick up, and the payoff is worth it. Don't cheat yourself with the Wiki page summaries.
It's been a good 10-15 years since I read the books.. so it may have been 8-9 books instead of 10 that I read. I was left with a strong impact... the fellow did a lot of copy and paste (Mr. Jordon) and he was a physicist so I understand some... but even with his copy and paste (apparent) method he always included the next subtle yet important detail on characters and peoples development. Quite a tome!
The 6s of 1st John:

plainview
Elder
Elder

Post by plainview » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:09 am

Re-reading the short story "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" from "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes." Collected in the "The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes, Volume 1."

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:55 am

I have just finished the New Testement. Now for the Old.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:02 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:55 am
Congrats. I took just over a year, going through the OT. I'm now still in the book of Hebrews.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:39 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:02 am
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:55 am
Congrats. I took just over a year, going through the OT. I'm now still in the book of Hebrews.
Also reading The Secret of Story, by Matt Bird.

plainview
Elder
Elder

Post by plainview » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:01 pm

For anyone who may be interested, the annotations in the "The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes" volumes are quite detailed, provide context and are fun to read (and sometimes distracting). The annotations are in red below.

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:20 pm

Genesis.
—Marcus Aurelius

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:27 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:20 pm
Genesis.
Things start getting really jewy around Chapter 27.
—Marcus Aurelius

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:52 am

Exodus spoiler alert: they don't get anymore likeable. Moses is a square guy, though.
—Marcus Aurelius

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:03 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:52 am
Exodus spoiler alert: they don't get anymore likeable. Moses is a square guy, though.
I like Jethro.
The 6s of 1st John: