What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by hugodrax » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:01 pm

Fainn...I mean, Jonah. :D
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:41 pm

Zechariah.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:51 pm

“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:44 am

Best Ghost Stories of J. S. LeFanu
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:55 am

Did the final review of the math book as approving editor last night. I approve.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:46 am

I'm finished.

Going to go on with John for a bit. I like John. I get more of a "this is how it went down" feel with John than with the synoptic gospels.

Study time.
—Marcus Aurelius

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:48 am

gaining_age wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:55 am
Did the final review of the math book as approving editor last night. I approve.
"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:58 pm

I just now finished writing three book reviews and zapped them off to the editor:

Fire Bombers in Action(by Barry D. Smith)
The Bedside Esquire (edited by Arnold Gingrich, circa 1940)
Cowboy Gear (by photographer David R. Stoecklien)

I don't know why but I had a hard time writing these reviews. I feel kind of beat up.
DEUS VULT!

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:28 pm

coco wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:48 am
gaining_age wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:55 am
I did a check in... and it's at that stage. No further steps for this Doctor.

Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:18 pm

+JMJ+

Scripture in the Tradition by Henri de Lubac

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:20 pm

+JMJ+

The Singular Voice of Being: John Duns Scotus and Ultimate Difference by Andrew LaZella

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:25 am

Currently reading The Autobiography of Ulysses S. Grant. Before this, the complete fictional works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. His Brigadier Gerard stories are the only ones that I found as entertaining as the Sherlock Holmes stories. I think he did a better job on short stories. I know he thought his historical novels were his best work. I disagree. I think he tried TOO hard on them.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:01 am

Dune Messiah

[Insert pithy quote here]

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:20 am

Adam Z wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:01 pm
coco wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:38 pm
Yes, I've started the big one.
:chili:

Bravo! The Wheel of Time is my all-time favorite work of fiction. I’ve read most of the books twice, that one three times (2x print, 1x audio).

Please do share your thought on this as you go through it.
This one reads like a classic D&D adventure. Well written, if a touch cliche, even at the time it was published (1990).
"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:25 am

Book 2 of 14

Jordan is more creative with the plot line in this one, at least until the end. While they may not be "great literature," these books are very entertaining and well worth your time if you happen to like the fantasy genre.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 am

Book 3 of 14

The first two books stand as complete stories on their own, but this one makes it clear that they are going to be part of a much longer story.

All of the books contain the classic elements of fantasy: Swords, magic, a long journey to defeat evil, and, most importantly, pipe smoking. You should read these book if for not other reason than pipes and tobacco are ever present.

Robert Jordan

Random thought for those who have read the books: If the characters check into an inn, they probably won't make it through the night without some sort of disaster that will force them to leave. In the rain. It would be a lot cheaper just to sleep under a bush for a couple of hours. It isn't like you aren't going to sleep longer than that anyway.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:03 am

coco wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 am
Book 3 of 14

The first two books stand as complete stories on their own, but this one makes it clear that they are going to be part of a much longer story.

All of the books contain the classic elements of fantasy: Swords, magic, a long journey to defeat evil, and, most importantly, pipe smoking. You should read these book if for not other reason than pipes and tobacco are ever present.

Robert Jordan

Random thought for those who have read the books: If the characters check into an inn, they probably won't make it through the night without some sort of disaster that will force them to leave. In the rain. It would be a lot cheaper just to sleep under a bush for a couple of hours. It isn't like you aren't going to sleep longer than that anyway.
Give it 4-5 more books... I look forward to the report out.
The 6s of 1st John:

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:15 pm

coco wrote:
Book 3 of 14

Robert Jordan

When people talk about buying Balkan Sobranie in 1975, this guy is what I see in my head.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:24 pm

arank87 wrote:
coco wrote:
Book 3 of 14

Robert Jordan

When people talk about buying Balkan Sobranie in 1975, this guy is what I see in my head.
He was known to frequent The Tinder Box in Charleston, SC, and mainly smoked whatever their full-English house blend was.

In his ‘about the author’ paragraph in his books he made reference to enjoying the indoor sport of pipe collecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Insert pithy quote here]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:54 pm

+JMJ+

Participatory Biblical Exegesis: A Theology of Biblical Interpretation by Matthew Levering

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco