What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Tatanka » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:29 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:27 pm
Mark.
Same here!
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:56 am

I finally got this book back from Morley.

DIORETIX: The Science of Matter over Mind
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:30 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:56 am

Made me look.... haha
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:10 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:30 pm
Jocose wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:56 am

Made me look.... haha
Did you read that book I gave you?

Dioretix: The Science of Matter over Mind

Well, you better read it, and quick.

That book will change your life.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:49 pm

Magical Realism fades into the background, while Murukami explores the psychology of rejection and identity The book is Postmodern in the sense that there are multiple possible interpretations of the events which only become apparent after the book is finished.

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is the place to start with Murukami, not this one.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:44 am

When I read the last 6 pages, hopefully this morning, I will have read Michael Molinos' "The Spiritual Guide" 12 times! Each time I read it it "feels like" - sort of - - with my active imagination - - the Holy Spirit points out something, a sentence maybe, with a finger that glows like a live ember - - and a new thought opens before me, and another conviction. I am so much WORSE than I think of myself as being! No! Please don't throw all your burnt tobaccy at me!
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:08 am

I'm slogging through a Churchill bio at the moment. I'm still in the early days (pre WWI) of his political career, thus the slog.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:33 am

Luke
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:39 am

I'm in the midst of "The Black Swan" -- book 2 of the Taleb's Incerto series.

Succinct summary:

The issue is "all the swans we've ever seen are white-- therefore all swans are white" is bad logic (can't prove a negative) -- until you see a black swan which you didn't expect so it rocks your world.

The media loves to think they get "black swan" so they talk about this election cycle as a black swan... in which case Taleb said "No.... a black swan would be either 2 presidents or zero presidents". That puts it in good perspective about "well, what do we do with 'this'?"
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:31 am

tuttle wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:08 am
I'm slogging through a Churchill bio at the moment. I'm still in the early days (pre WWI) of his political career, thus the slog.
A great admirer of Mr. Churchill, I have had a desire for many years for reading a good biography of him; but have procrastinated, just because of the mountain of "stuff" from his amazing life that I would have to "slog" through. I've done that on several books, but I admit to feeling something like exhaustion when I seriously begin to think about an actual purchase.....would I bog down and find the book, months later, collecting dust? Or would the author capture and hold my interest so that I would finish the book, no matter how long it took?

I'm a margin note maker, and underliner. I don't read rapidly. I read and pause and allow my imagination to carry me into and around the topic at hand.....I look up word definitions, and not infrequently will copy their definition on the page where the word was used....and I also make my own Index - - I know it sounds crazy! - - in the back blank pages of the book, to help me quickly locate things I - - later on - - want to refer to or share with friends, perhaps in an email....or CPS post. I do it with virtually every "serious" book I read. Drives my wife crazy! :)
Soli Deo Gloria!

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:40 am

tuttle wrote:
I'm slogging through a Churchill bio at the moment.
Which one? I picked up the first volume of William Manchester's The Last Lion at a local used book store recently.
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:41 am

Children of Dune - Frank Herbert
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:22 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:40 am
tuttle wrote:
I'm slogging through a Churchill bio at the moment.
Which one? I picked up the first volume of William Manchester's The Last Lion at a local used book store recently.
"Churchill" by Roy Jenkins. I too nabbed mine at a used bookstore and for the price of $2.

From what I gather, Jenkins was a young MP while Churchill was still in government. He also wrote the biography in his 80s, and even had someone in line to finish the book in case he died before he finished. I think he passed not long after the book was published. His publisher had him clarify a lot of UK governmental jargon and proceedures, which did help, but he does load the book with them (at least in the front end) and you can tell he's pretty comfortable there, which makes sense, but it's a tough go sometimes. I should say that the slog is due to that rather than to anything undesirable with the book itself.

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:25 pm

I just cracked this one open

Sort of a general history and how-to by an Anglican minister and music leader.

dcommini
Congregation
Congregation

Post by dcommini » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Currently reading Man Alive by Chesterton, Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, and the Rule of Saint Benedict.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President
Lonergan Fan Club President

Post by wosbald » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:42 pm

+JMJ+

Divine Fruitfulness: A Guide Through Balthasar's Theology Beyond the Trilogy by Aidan Nichols, OP

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:37 am

dcommini wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:19 pm
Currently reading Man Alive by Chesterton, Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, and the Rule of Saint Benedict.
I'm guessing these provide, after each time spent in their reading, one of David's "Selah's" (Pause and consider this.)
At least for me as a simpleton, they always cause me to sit and ponder, think, and do considerable "chewing" upon what I just read. :)
Soli Deo Gloria!

dcommini
Congregation
Congregation

Post by dcommini » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:47 am

Tatanka wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:37 am
dcommini wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:19 pm
I'm guessing these provide, after each time spent in their reading, one of David's "Selah's" (Pause and consider this.)
At least for me as a simpleton, they always cause me to sit and ponder, think, and do considerable "chewing" upon what I just read. :)
Indeed! There is a lot of contemplation that accompanies these books. Even for the Rule of Saint Benedict, which I have read many repeated times, I find myself contemplating what he has written as if reading each chapter for the first time.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

canuck
Usher
Usher

Post by canuck » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:27 am

victory in spiritual warfare by tony evans

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:07 am

Just received in the mail yesterday is a book advertized in the WONDERFUL non-political-bias-true Journalism weekly newspaper the EPOCH Times; Just beginning today, Lawrence W. Reed's new book, "Real Heros, Inspiring True Stories of Courage, Character, and Conviction." It sounds like my kind of book. Give me REAL! I'll let you know how I like it, that is IF anyone would like to know.

A blessed Thanksgiving wished for all. My wife of 61 years and I are what? Troubled, yes. Concerned, definitely, over being invited to our youngest daughter's home but our son and his family, coming now with a new husband, we've never met for one granddaughter, and a boyfriend of her sister in college. And who else will come? People who have been around lots of other people, strangers, people they work with, travel with, etc. And we're the old couple...most vulnerable. What to do? How to handle it? How to be safe?
Soli Deo Gloria!