Economics

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44187
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Economics

Post by Del » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:26 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:00 am
+JMJ+

Dignity comes from work, not money, pope tells young people

ROME — Promoting employment is a key part of promoting and protecting human dignity, especially the dignity of young men and women, Pope Francis said.
If this is a doctrine of Catholic faith, then this is another good reason why Catholic Americans must see to the public excommunicate of Joe Biden.


No one ever accused Donald Trump of failing to promote jobs and an environment of full employment.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
TheShepherd
Usher
Usher
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:09 am

Re: Economics

Post by TheShepherd » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:25 pm
The micro economics of one's own family is much more important than the macro economics of national and global culture.
The universal idea of "one having their own family" is in itself a "global" idea.

Otherwise one's sense of identity wouldn't extend beyond the immediate family or "tribe" - so there would be no need for ideas and institutions (e.x. such as churches with a worldwide following, nations, global ideas such as "localism" being applicable to people universally - and so on).

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44187
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Economics

Post by Del » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:41 am

TheShepherd wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 pm
Del wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:25 pm
The micro economics of one's own family is much more important than the macro economics of national and global culture.
The universal idea of "one having their own family" is in itself a "global" idea.

Otherwise one's sense of identity wouldn't extend beyond the immediate family or "tribe" - so there would be no need for ideas and institutions (e.x. such as churches with a worldwide following, nations, global ideas such as "localism" being applicable to people universally - and so on).
Yes, "Family" is a universal human institution. That's why I am saying that we should focus more on supporting families, and less on government policies and schools and programs and such.

A culture with strong families can survive an era of bad government, crushing inflation, and lots of other Biden-stuff.

But a culture of weak, broken families and epidemic fatherless homes cannot support ourselves, much less any sort of adequate government. In soviet amerika, we'll all be miserable. And there will be Biden-levels of corruption throughout every level of government.

Families of my generation got through the inflation and race riots of the '70's.

But I don't know if families of the 2020's are strong enough to hold their communities together. After 50 years of indoctrinating young people with critical theories regarding race, class, and gender.... The Democrats may finally defeat us.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle
Posts: 2764
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO

Re: Economics

Post by Jester » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:08 am

Del wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:41 am
TheShepherd wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 pm
Del wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:25 pm
The micro economics of one's own family is much more important than the macro economics of national and global culture.
The universal idea of "one having their own family" is in itself a "global" idea.

Otherwise one's sense of identity wouldn't extend beyond the immediate family or "tribe" - so there would be no need for ideas and institutions (e.x. such as churches with a worldwide following, nations, global ideas such as "localism" being applicable to people universally - and so on).
Yes, "Family" is a universal human institution. That's why I am saying that we should focus more on supporting families, and less on government policies and schools and programs and such.

A culture with strong families can survive an era of bad government, crushing inflation, and lots of other Biden-stuff.

But a culture of weak, broken families and epidemic fatherless homes cannot support ourselves, much less any sort of adequate government. In soviet amerika, we'll all be miserable. And there will be Biden-levels of corruption throughout every level of government.
Image
FIGHT LAUGH FEAST

“Liberal Christianity” may be more appealing to the masses than “conservative Christianity,” -TNLawPiper

If you can't say “amen” you gotta say “ouch.” -Voddie Baucham

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44187
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Economics

Post by Del » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:54 am

Jester wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:08 am
Del wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:41 am
TheShepherd wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 pm
Del wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:25 pm
The micro economics of one's own family is much more important than the macro economics of national and global culture.
The universal idea of "one having their own family" is in itself a "global" idea.

Otherwise one's sense of identity wouldn't extend beyond the immediate family or "tribe" - so there would be no need for ideas and institutions (e.x. such as churches with a worldwide following, nations, global ideas such as "localism" being applicable to people universally - and so on).
Yes, "Family" is a universal human institution. That's why I am saying that we should focus more on supporting families, and less on government policies and schools and programs and such.

A culture with strong families can survive an era of bad government, crushing inflation, and lots of other Biden-stuff.

But a culture of weak, broken families and epidemic fatherless homes cannot support ourselves, much less any sort of adequate government. In soviet amerika, we'll all be miserable. And there will be Biden-levels of corruption throughout every level of government.
Image
We need to unthink the notion that government has a role in everything. It's time to start undoing some government stuff.

Let's start with closing down the federal Department of Health & Human Services. They try to manage our lives with everything from education and healthcare to birth control and childcare -- and we don't want any of it from them.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
TheShepherd
Usher
Usher
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:09 am

Re: Economics

Post by TheShepherd » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:41 am

Del wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:54 am
Jester wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:08 am
Del wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:41 am
TheShepherd wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 pm
Del wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:25 pm
The micro economics of one's own family is much more important than the macro economics of national and global culture.
The universal idea of "one having their own family" is in itself a "global" idea.

Otherwise one's sense of identity wouldn't extend beyond the immediate family or "tribe" - so there would be no need for ideas and institutions (e.x. such as churches with a worldwide following, nations, global ideas such as "localism" being applicable to people universally - and so on).
Yes, "Family" is a universal human institution. That's why I am saying that we should focus more on supporting families, and less on government policies and schools and programs and such.

A culture with strong families can survive an era of bad government, crushing inflation, and lots of other Biden-stuff.

But a culture of weak, broken families and epidemic fatherless homes cannot support ourselves, much less any sort of adequate government. In soviet amerika, we'll all be miserable. And there will be Biden-levels of corruption throughout every level of government.
Image
We need to unthink the notion that government has a role in everything. It's time to start undoing some government stuff.

Let's start with closing down the federal Department of Health & Human Services. They try to manage our lives with everything from education and healthcare to birth control and childcare -- and we don't want any of it from them.
Right, but "states" (and their "governments") are just associations of people - there's no immediate difference between associations of people in the context of a "state" or any other association of people (such as a family, business, social group, and so on).

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44187
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Economics

Post by Del » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:36 pm

TheShepherd wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:41 am
Del wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:54 am
Jester wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:08 am
Del wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:41 am
TheShepherd wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 pm
Del wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:25 pm
The micro economics of one's own family is much more important than the macro economics of national and global culture.
The universal idea of "one having their own family" is in itself a "global" idea.

Otherwise one's sense of identity wouldn't extend beyond the immediate family or "tribe" - so there would be no need for ideas and institutions (e.x. such as churches with a worldwide following, nations, global ideas such as "localism" being applicable to people universally - and so on).
Yes, "Family" is a universal human institution. That's why I am saying that we should focus more on supporting families, and less on government policies and schools and programs and such.

A culture with strong families can survive an era of bad government, crushing inflation, and lots of other Biden-stuff.

But a culture of weak, broken families and epidemic fatherless homes cannot support ourselves, much less any sort of adequate government. In soviet amerika, we'll all be miserable. And there will be Biden-levels of corruption throughout every level of government.
Image
We need to unthink the notion that government has a role in everything. It's time to start undoing some government stuff.

Let's start with closing down the federal Department of Health & Human Services. They try to manage our lives with everything from education and healthcare to birth control and childcare -- and we don't want any of it from them.
Right, but "states" (and their "governments") are just associations of people - there's no immediate difference between associations of people in the context of a "state" or any other association of people (such as a family, business, social group, and so on).
Except when the "state" is an association of elite oligarchs with police and jails and guns.... and they think that the rest of us exist to serve them.

I know that I don't want that "association" to have any control over the education of another generation of kids.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
TheShepherd
Usher
Usher
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:09 am

Re: Economics

Post by TheShepherd » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:01 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:36 pm
Except when the "state" is an association of elite oligarchs with police and jails and guns.... and they think that the rest of us exist to serve them.
That wouldn't have necessarily been any different than the "state" of the late 18th century. (Other than smaller population and less technology).

People who occupy "government" positions (whether the American framers, the judges, etc) have always tended to be "elite" (in terms of things such as birth, wealth, education, etc) compared to the "average" person.

Likewise, any citizen is allowed by default to apply to join the police force if they so wish, so the police are not totally separate from the people they serve.
I know that I don't want that "association" to have any control over the education of another generation of kids.
I believe that the 10th Amendment would consider that a state government issue. (And for that matter, even a state government is quite "big" compared to smaller associations which form the state, such as families, churches, businesses, and so on).

If I was in a position to offer any advice, my advice would be that people try to occupy the state positions themselves and use them to promote their own interests, rather than "fear the state", or the idea of others using the state selfishly at the expense of others' interests.

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44187
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Economics

Post by Del » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:32 pm

TheShepherd wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:01 pm
Del wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:36 pm
Except when the "state" is an association of elite oligarchs with police and jails and guns.... and they think that the rest of us exist to serve them.
That wouldn't have necessarily been any different than the "state" of the late 18th century. (Other than smaller population and less technology).

People who occupy "government" positions (whether the American framers, the judges, etc) have always tended to be "elite" (in terms of things such as birth, wealth, education, etc) compared to the "average" person.

Likewise, any citizen is allowed by default to apply to join the police force if they so wish.
I wish I could understand where you are coming from. You've got a great set of assumptions that I can't read. So I don't know what would be helpful or edifying to you.

Many times in history, noble philosopher-kings have set up a system to serve the people -- generally allowing them to rule themselves. Moses is a great example. Alexander the Great. America's Founding Fathers.

Aristotle noted that democracies naturally decay into tyranny or anarchy. People are always willing to give up their freedom for the promise of security, even from a tyranny.... as Aristotle noted.

On the other hand, there is always a generation of young people who are willing destroy the current good for the sake of some promised utopia (as taught by Machiavelli as Marx).

America's Founding Fathers knew this. That's why our Constitution confined our government to a short list of enumerated powers.

As you know, we have allowed our government to swell far beyond its enumerated powers, and the legislative branch have handed almost all of their responsibility over to the executive branch, and now the government has its tendrils in the most private parts of lives and families.

And the people who enter elections might start out seeking to serve the citizens, but they learn quickly that they will not survive unless they play the the game of corruption. The idealistic ones are weeded out of their party.... the survivors are the ones who are best at gathering wealth and power and fame.

That's why an outsider (like Trump) is hated by the establishment, especially in his own party.... a damned idealist who didn't need wealth or power or fame because he already had them. He really wanted to bring common sense back to government, and empower families to thrive in their own lives.
TheShepherd wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:01 pm
I know that I don't want that "association" to have any control over the education of another generation of kids.
I believe that the 10th Amendment would consider that a state government issue. (And for that matter, even a state government is quite "big" compared to smaller associations which form the state, such as families, churches, businesses, and so on).
You are on the right track now.

Theoretically, the government schools are run by a locally elected school board. But there are state-wide curriculum requirements, and the whole shooting match is run by the Teachers U***n thugs.

That's why Democrats oppose tax vouchers, school choice, and homeschooling. Their U***n backers don't want parents to be empowered to choose what is best for their own children. They want education tax dollars to stay under the control of the teachers unions.

I have personally embraced the mission of the Chesterton Society in working to establish the Separation of Education and State.

This means sacrificing my own time and money to provide great education for as many children as we can.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Post Reply