How's the weather where you are ?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Re: How's the weather where you are ?

Post by durangopipe » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:02 pm

Near record heat here (low 90s).
Very dry.

Big fire burning near Glenwood Springs where a good friend and colleague is home visiting with her parents. The fire doubled in size last night to over 12,000 acres.

Reports of the fire burning over Hanging Lake, a beautiful travertine lake near Glenwood, last night. Forecast there is for continued hot and dry, but less wind today.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:45 pm

Hot and humid - miserably so. Took the afternoon off to catch up on some house and yard chores. Made myself sick. Like pass out sick. Haven’t done that in a long time. I really need to get up from my desk and out in the heat more often to acclimate.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:03 pm

Rain and cool today :(
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:46 am

6:45 am and 81. Some light rain fell during the night

Dew Point
68 F
Humidity
66 %
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:51 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:46 am

Dew Point
68 F
Humidity
66 %
We had a house shaking thunderstorm last night.... and rain.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:16 am

gaining_age wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:51 am
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:46 am

Dew Point
68 F
Humidity
66 %
We had a house shaking thunderstorm last night.... and rain.
Yup, I saw this Doppler radar of all the rainfall. Just north of us, across the Maricopa County line a whole bunch of rain fell. Those areas almost all around Tucson had epic rainfall.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad

Post by JimVH » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:35 am

Hot and calm, but take your pick for next week:

"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:16 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:35 am

The Fujiwhara Effect
When cyclones are in proximity of one another, their centers will begin orbiting cyclonically (counter-clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere)[2] about a point between the two systems due to their cyclonic wind circulations. The two vortices will be attracted to each other, and eventually spiral into the center point and merge. It has not been agreed upon whether this is due to the divergent portion of the wind or vorticity advection.[3] When the two vortices are of unequal size, the larger vortex will tend to dominate the interaction, and the smaller vortex will orbit around it. The effect is named after Sakuhei Fujiwhara, the Japanese meteorologist who initially described it in a 1921 paper about the motion of vortices in water
This means that if Marco becomes a cat 4 and Lara becomes a cat 5, they could merge and become a cat 9, if my math is correct, and no creature has enough lives to survive that.

Might be a good time to retire, Jim. Otherwise you may experience what psychologists call “The Fujiwhara Affect”.

(Actually, from what I’m reading, if they get close enough to impact each other it's more likely they will create wind shear and both storms will weaken. But it is worrisome.)
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad

Post by JimVH » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:33 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:16 pm
JimVH wrote:

The Fujiwhara Effect
When cyclones are in proximity of one another, their centers will begin orbiting cyclonically (counter-clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere)[2] about a point between the two systems due to their cyclonic wind circulations. The two vortices will be attracted to each other, and eventually spiral into the center point and merge. It has not been agreed upon whether this is due to the divergent portion of the wind or vorticity advection.[3] When the two vortices are of unequal size, the larger vortex will tend to dominate the interaction, and the smaller vortex will orbit around it. The effect is named after Sakuhei Fujiwhara, the Japanese meteorologist who initially described it in a 1921 paper about the motion of vortices in water
This means that if Marco becomes a cat 4 and Lara becomes a cat 5, they could merge and become a cat 9, if my math is correct, and no creature has enough lives to survive that.

Might be a good time to retire, Jim. Otherwise you may experience what psychologists call “The Fujiwhara Affect”.

(Actually, from what I’m reading, if they get close enough to impact each other it's more likely they will create wind shear and both storms will weaken. But it is worrisome.)
I'm still trying to figure out where the murder hornets fit in.

I'm hoping for the competitive weakening idea.

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:36 pm

Space City Weather, who is generally known for their no-hype forecasts, gives it less than 10% chance of developing hurricane force winds. I’m hoping they are right.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:47 pm

I think I have a found a good fishing spot I will try Monday before the storm. I went there this afternoon and saw two fish jump out of the water in less than 2 minutes. Unless it was the same fish.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:52 pm

Uncharacteristically hot and humid for around here. It’s been like this for days. It’s like I’m living in the southeast or something! I have to run the AC all day and night.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:33 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:33 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:16 pm
JimVH wrote:

The Fujiwhara Effect

I'm still trying to figure out where the murder hornets fit in.

I'm hoping for the competitive weakening idea.
I think it’s coronavirus, economic collapse, urban riots, tropical storm flooding, locusts, boils, death of the first born, presidential campaign advertising, then murder hornets if I remember the sequence correctly.

Hope the storm peters out.

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:50 pm

I’m a little disappointed the two storms aren’t named Marco and Polo.

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:40 am

BeefyG wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:50 pm
I was saying the same thing yesterday.

Our daughter is a Laura, and she had plans to come for a visit from NY. We told her one Laura at a time, and stay put.

Prayers both storms weaken. If we end up having to evacuate, Jim if ok we'll just head to your place? There'll be anywhere from 3 to 12 of us, plus 7 dogs.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad

Post by JimVH » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:03 am

BeefyG wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:50 pm
We’ve been calling them Pete and Repeat.

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:15 am

We have nothing to complain about. My prayers are for the boys on the Texas-Louisiana line.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:21 am

It's smokey out here. Not the sort of smoke that provides a welcoming room note either. The bird here have to fly IFR.
Plenty of destruction to the N and S of us though. Plenty to pray about.
DEUS VULT!

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:22 pm

We're expecting some weather. I am going to go to fishing just before it comes. Hopefully, no one else will be there.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:59 am

Lots of T storm activity around here yesterday with heavy rainfall, everywhere else but here. Now, perhaps all that moisture in the ground nearby will spawn storms for Ajo