How's the weather where you are ?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Re: How's the weather where you are ?

Post by Jake » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:14 am

LushMojo wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:02 am
Weather here on the island is always mild (never very hot; never very cold; sunny more than cloudy), but yesterday we got our twice yearly snow. Sledding and trail skiing up in the mountains in the morning and then hiked out to Lime Kiln Lighthouse in the afternoon. Snowing again this morning. Heading to America (the mainland) next week for some real skiing in the mountains.

Evergreens and snow just go together but the madrona trees look so striking with their reddish bark.

Beautiful!
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:15 pm

LushMojo wrote:
Evergreens and snow just go together but the madrona trees look so striking with their reddish bark.
There is a lot of Madrone in northern California but I did not know they grew all the way up into Washington State. A hardwood, it makes excellent wood stove firewood. But we had so much cheap almond and walnut wood where I used to live I had little experience with Madrone.

Those are some very nice photographs, by the way. I especially like the one with the Lighthouse.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:08 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:15 pm
LushMojo wrote:
There is a lot of Madrone in northern California but I did not know they grew all the way up into Washington State. A hardwood, it makes excellent wood stove firewood. But we had so much cheap almond and walnut wood where I used to live I had little experience with Madrone.

Those are some very nice photographs, by the way. I especially like the one with the Lighthouse.
The islands are covered in madrona (which is madrone to the South). We use it for occasional firewood but especially for smoked salt:

https://www.sanjuanislandseasalt.com/on ... -p78633753

Ridiculously good. There's a local smoked honey as well.
Small town doc in Friday Harbor. Adult convert Catholic.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:06 pm

LushMojo wrote:
Weather here on the island is always mild (never very hot; never very cold; sunny more than cloudy), but yesterday we got our twice yearly snow. Sledding and trail skiing up in the mountains in the morning and then hiked out to Lime Kiln Lighthouse in the afternoon. Snowing again this morning. Heading to America (the mainland) next week for some real skiing in the mountains.

:D :D :D
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:12 pm

Just walked the dog. First time I’ve been on ice slick sidewalks in many years.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:50 pm

Still freakin cold.
Sola Deo Gloria

Eruannu
Usher
Usher

Post by Eruannu » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:48 pm

Nasty, landfill was closed today.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

mont974x4
Minister of Canola Mustard
Minister of Canola Mustard

Post by mont974x4 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:51 pm

We’re finally above 0 again.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:08 am

It's a tad bit nippley.
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:39 am

Baby, it's cold outside.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:01 am

Best Brown Flake while walking the dog. 15 degrees. Not a lot of snow, but way more than usual for Alabama.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:39 pm

coco wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:01 am
Best Brown Flake while walking the dog. 15 degrees. Not a lot of snow, but way more than usual for Alabama.
I thought snow fall in Alabama was a rare occurrence. Is there a month or month's when you normally get some snowfall? How often do you get a really good snowfall - - say 6 inches or so?
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:47 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:39 pm
coco wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:01 am
I thought snow fall in Alabama was a rare occurrence. Is there a month or month's when you normally get some snowfall? How often do you get a really good snowfall - - say 6 inches or so?
Once per couple of decades

Benton629
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Benton629 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:24 pm

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:06 pm

Forecast is clear and sunny through the remainder of February.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:56 pm

After 13 days of extreme cold warnings at -40 it finally began to warm up. It was -3f today. Almost shorts weather! By the weekend we may hit 33 degrees. I guarantee there will be many in shorts then.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:58 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:56 pm
After 13 days of extreme cold warnings at -40 it finally began to warm up. It was -3f today. Almost shorts weather! By the weekend we may hit 33 degrees. I guarantee there will be many in shorts then.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Almost the exact same forecast as Southern MN. It was -1 when I took my dog out just now and I didn’t even need my gloves.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:18 pm

Ball-shrinkingly cold today. The wood stove AND the furnace are running today to barely keep the house at 69*. I think I bumped it up a degree just so the floors won't feel frozen.

Full disclosure - this house is made of cinder blocks underneath the vinyl siding. There is no studwall on the exterior walls and they are bitterly cold especially under the cabinets. I tell you, once these walls get cold it is extremely difficult to heat the house. Conversely, in the summer time the sun beats on the western wall without mercy and the house gets pretty darned hot. It is arguably easier to deal with that since we are dealing with only the southern and western walls of the house. The cold is all four walls.

The cold and the snow have effectively shuttered all construction projects around here. Once the snow melts I'll have the river to contend with. Everything I've moved out of the garage office for that room to be worked on will have to go back, as well as tools and supplies that are in the lower half of the garage to keep them out of the water. To give you perspective, a couple of years ago I did not get my chainsaw off the floor in the lower part. It was completely submerged and the water was about a foot deep inside the lower part.
Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:23 pm

Cold.

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:29 pm

31 deg and raining here right now, and we now have power. The coldest it's been inside the house so far is 58.
Last I heard from JimVH his house was pretty cool also. Hope he has power now, as well as any other CPS folks in the Houston areas.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton