Intellectual Property Horror Files

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:50 pm

ShellBriar wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:I thought this thread was going to be about horror movies.
Yeah! What gives!?
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:56 pm

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:58 pm

ChildOfGod
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by ChildOfGod » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:00 pm

Ahhhh... That's better!
In Christ by Apostolic and Reformed Faith

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:17 pm

+JMJ+
Infidel does have a valid point.

IP rights are far more sticky than those involving real property and personal property. On one hand, the creator deserves recompense for his effort. As well, he has a vested interest in not seeing his creation defiled. (Tolkien, quite rightly, would not want to see someone turning Gimli into a sexual deviant, for example). On the other hand, IP is not real property or personal property, and therefore, one is not deprived of its use when it is copied by another (although one may, or may not, be deprived of revenue).

I think that these problems are simply inevitable results of absolutized ideology (in this case, Mercantilism) running into real world issues. The only real solution is for the temporal authority to be informed by, and subject to, the spiritual authority of the Church.

I don't pretend to give a definitive answer, but based upon my cursory understanding of the particulars of this current controversy, it would seem to me that the common good would allow, or even require, the government to make the formula available for production, at least temporarily, until the crisis (if it is, indeed, a crisis) has passed.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed May 25, 2011 10:59 am

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... speech.ars
The agreement that Dr. Cirka's staff asked me to sign on that February morning began by claiming to offer stronger privacy protections than those guaranteed by HIPAA, the 1996 law that governs patient privacy in the United States. In exchange for this extra dollop of privacy, it asked me to "exclusively assign all Intellectual Property rights, including copyrights" to "any written, pictorial, and/or electronic commentary" I might make about Dr. Cirka's services, including on "web pages, blogs, and/or mass correspondence," to Dr. Cirka. It also stipulated that if Dr. Cirka were to sue me due to a breach of the agreement, the prevailing party in the litigation will pay the loser's legal fees.

She didn't have a good answer when I pointed out that the agreement's text didn't say anything about fraudulent reviews. She also couldn't explain how the agreement could bind non-patients, who by definition will not have signed it.

mkbolivianwonder
Congregation
Congregation

Post by mkbolivianwonder » Wed May 25, 2011 12:06 pm

This is the kind of thing that really bothers me. What's the solution? What is the moral balance between someone's intellectual property and its availability to those it benefits?
There are people who release their photography, writing, music, artwork, and so on under one variation or another of the creative commons license, often allowing people to use their work as long as they are given credit. Share and share alike. I use a lot of music in commercials from http://dig.ccmixter.org/free_music, and you can find free stock photography at [img]deviantart.com[/img].
Cory Doctorow writes books under the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license.
These examples are different in that they are not life and death situations, but when an invention is so beneficial to society and could save lives, I think it is the duty of those who invented it to make it as widely and freely available as possible. If you're going into a field that's supposed to be about helping people, you shouldn't go into it trying to get rich. Not that that makes any difference.
Here's me dreaming: If only as a race humanity could cooperate on things for the betterment of mankind.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:52 pm

GabeSyme
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by GabeSyme » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:17 pm

What kind of patent do they hold on Wifi tech? Some kind of technology without which wifi networks could not operate and have been assumed to be free to use until now? Why does that mean that all those operating a wifi network in their home are prosecutable? Wouldn't it be the people who are building the wifi routers and selling them?
Yes, the most poetical thing, more poetical than the flowers, more poetical than the stars - the most poetical thing in the world is not being sick. - Thursday by G. K. Chesterton "Da per Matrem ad venire"

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Re: Intellectual Property Horror Files

Post by infidel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:42 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44546620
A committee of MEPs has voted to accept major changes to European copyright law, which experts say could change the nature of the internet.

They voted to approve the controversial Article 13, which critics warn could put an end to memes, remixes and other user-generated content.

Article 11, requiring online platforms to pay publishers a fee if they link to their news content, was also approved.

One organisation opposed to the changes called it a "dark day".

The European Parliament's Committee on Legal Affairs voted by 15 votes to 10 to adopt Article 13 and by 13 votes to 12 to adopt Article 11.

It will now go to the wider European Parliament to vote on in July.
:egor:

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:08 pm

infidel wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:42 am
A committee of MEPs has voted to accept major changes to European copyright law, which experts say could change the nature of the internet.

They voted to approve the controversial Article 13, which critics warn could put an end to memes, remixes and other user-generated content.

Article 11, requiring online platforms to pay publishers a fee if they link to their news content, was also approved.

The European Parliament's Committee on Legal Affairs voted by 15 votes to 10 to adopt Article 13 and by 13 votes to 12 to adopt Article 11.

Did you pay to link this article?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:34 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:08 pm
infidel wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:42 am

Did you pay to link this article?
It's not law yet, and since Brexit I don't think EU law would apply to BBC anyhow :P

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

I'm in the process of copyrighting some intellectual property. While I do want as many people to benefit from my work because it involves educating medical professionals on a procedure that greatly improves patient care, I don't want a big corporation to steal my work and profit from it while I get nothing for all my efforts. Copyrighting intellectual property does have a positive side as well as a negative side.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne