What the hell, Wisconsin?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
darthsaturn
Soon to be Chock Full O' Nuts

What the hell, Wisconsin?

Post by darthsaturn » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Has democracy just ceased to exist? Law makers fleeing the state, and cops refusing to remove protesters? What the hell?
"If you like smoking a pipe, then smoke an ever loving pipe and stop being such a Nancy about it." A Morely

"I'm not even a woman and I find that offensive" Kerdy.

TheDuke
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by TheDuke » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Makes no sense to me either! We're hearing the same rumblings in our state also.
O give thanks unto the LORD;for he is good;for his mercy endureth forever.Psalm 136;1 

Man...smoking a turd....could there be anything worse? Well....maybe smoking a cob. SimeonTurner3/5/10                         

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:21 pm

It has become "mob rule."

Oddly, they carry signs that say "This is What Democracy Looks Like" -- by the hundreds. But it's really a mob, attempting to overthrow the regime.

Not much different than in Egypt or Libya, in that sense.

Except that we already had a democracy, and an election, and a legislative debate, and now a minority want to start a revolution, because the democratic process didn't go the way that they wanted it to.
People -- We're broke!

I saw a cartoon the other day.... two working-class guys, sitting at a bar:

Gov't worker: They're gonna take away my pension!

Private sector worker: What's a pension?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Re: What the hell, Wisconsin?

Post by MrPiper » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:40 pm

darthsaturn wrote:Has democracy just ceased to exist? Law makers fleeing the state, and cops refusing to remove protesters? What the hell?
Actually what you are seeing is what happens when a republic breaks down and BECOMES a democracy. Democracy is basically mob rule.

Note that we Pledge Allegiance to the REPUBLIC

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Our very own Egypt and Lybia. Or any other thug nation.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Del

Post by Del » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Kerdy wrote:Our very own Egypt and Lybia. Or any other thug nation.
that is the danger. When the democratic process breaks down, the people who are most organized and most vicious are the ones to seize power.

The uni0n protestors in Wisconsin (many are from out-of-state) are well-organized and disgusting, but they have not turned vicious yet.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:45 pm

The workers have agreed to the wage cuts and increase in their copay. It's not money it's about busting the unions for the Koch brothers. The unions are already crippled and in some cases they deserve to be but without them we could slip into a one party system like China.
Oh Mighty Cobfather, return and smite the interlopers.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:54 pm

TheDuke wrote:Makes no sense to me either! We're hearing the same rumblings in our state also.
Like, isn't Mongolia always like that?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

darthsaturn

Post by darthsaturn » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:56 pm

I have not been keeping up with what is going on in detail. I am just amazed that no one seems to bat an eye that law makers have up and left their posts. That's like one of my employees not liking the way I run my business and walks out, only they don't still get paid for it. Then you have cops refusing to arrest people who are clearly breaking the law. I feel like I have awoke in crazy land, think I will go back to bed.
"If you like smoking a pipe, then smoke an ever loving pipe and stop being such a Nancy about it." A Morely

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Come on, folks. This is not Egypt or Libya, and such a statement should offend anyone who understands what the Egyptians and Libyans were demonstrating against. Those were revolutions -- this is a protest, and as Americans, we're allowed to protest.

Furthermore, the articles that I've read don't imply that it's illegal for the protesters to remain in the capitol building, but that police had initially planned to kick them out in order to have the building cleaned.

These protesters aren't primarily concerned with the decrease in wages. Wisconsin and other states are trying to eliminate their ability to engage in collective bargaining, which also concerns things like the number of students per teacher, the number of patients per nurse, and other terms of public employees' employment contracts.

Of course, whether they should be employed while protesting, and whether the Democrats are correct in fleeing the state, are separate issues altogether.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:20 pm

Where was all of this outrage when the Tea Party was protesting and disrupting town hall meetings? That was free speech, right? So is this.

AlwaysLearning

Post by AlwaysLearning » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:25 pm

Whole thing sounds like a dang waste of tax payer money.
If you are in God's will, no task is trivial.

“Whoever knows what is right to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin” (Jas 4:17).

darthsaturn

Post by darthsaturn » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:30 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:Where was all of this outrage when the Tea Party was protesting and disrupting town hall meetings? That was free speech, right? So is this.
Are you asking me, or the other folks on this thread. If your are asking me, I knew I should've kept my mouth shut. <redacted_emoji> I am not upset at the people protesting, I am upset with elected officials skipping town and the cops not doing their job by upholding the law. The people still have a right to peacefully assemble.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:33 pm

darthsaturn wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:Where was all of this outrage when the Tea Party was protesting and disrupting town hall meetings? That was free speech, right? So is this.
Are you asking me, or the other folks on this thread. If your are asking me, I knew I should've kept my mouth shut. <redacted_emoji> I am not upset at the people protesting, I am upset with elected officials skipping town and the cops not doing their job by upholding the law. The people still have a right to peacefully assemble.
It was really a rhetorical question.

Del

Post by Del » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:01 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
darthsaturn wrote:
I recall that there was plenty of outrage. The non-FOX media was full of it.

Of course, the TEA-Partiers had the decency to go home after their demonstration. Their goal was to persuade people to agree with the TEA Party in the ballot box. And it worked.

darthsaturn

Post by darthsaturn » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:31 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
darthsaturn wrote:
Sorry, I didn't catch it. Throw it better next time. :wink:

donkeymule
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by donkeymule » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:56 pm

You are a Tea Party supporter? :lol: I support the right for the protests and I can understand and sympathize with people not wanting to give some things up. The problem is that collective bargaining directly correlates to the financial situation which is not sustainable. I dont support the unions.
Wise guy hey? Nyuk, Nyuk Nyuk.....

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Is the cheese safe? 8O

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:05 pm

Who is the National Guard taking orders from? 8O

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Has Anderson Cooper been seen on the ground?