The Evolution Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:30 am

MacGuru wrote:Grab a chicken, look at the scales on the feet, and just think about it a sec.
This is no surprise to anyone who has been around a chicken. After about 30 seconds, you realize that chicken would eat you if it could.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:30 am

+JMJ+
infidel wrote:
MacGuru wrote:Dinosaurs didn't become poultry, they WERE poultry. Big, 40-ton 50-mph poultry. With large teeth and attitude problems.
:joy: praise the lord, I am not alone :bacon:
So, did Poultry become Man or was Man always Poultry?

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:47 am

UncleBob wrote:
MacGuru wrote:Grab a chicken, look at the scales on the feet, and just think about it a sec.
This is no surprise to anyone who has been around a chicken. After about 30 seconds, you realize that chicken would eat you if it could.
Ok.

Grab a monkey, look at the fingers, and just think about it a sec.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:47 am

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
infidel wrote:
MacGuru wrote:Dinosaurs didn't become poultry, they WERE poultry. Big, 40-ton 50-mph poultry. With large teeth and attitude problems.
Let's just say He's everywhere! He's everywhere!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickenman_(radio_series)

Yer welcome.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:58 am

infidel wrote:
Neither. Totally different branches of the family tree.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:59 am

tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Ok.

Go ahead and take more than a sec, it takes some people longer to figure it out :-D

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:04 pm

tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Ok.

Pfft! That is no surprise either. Anyone who has been around monkeys know that, like most any boy child aged 6 mos to retirement, they enjoy scatological humor.

MacGuru
I'm a PC
I'm a PC

Post by MacGuru » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:18 pm

UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Ok.

Pfft! That is no surprise either. Anyone who has been around monkeys know that, like most any boy child aged 6 mos to retirement, they enjoy scatological humor.
Every genealogical family tree has embarrassing relatives. If our family tree had something awesome like sharks or wolves or eagles, none if this would even be an issue, but noooo, we have to share common ancestors with monkeys that throw poop and Bonobo Chimps that spend all day scrogging each other and generally making the Kama Sutra look like a children's book.
"If you get that you're cooler than MacGuru. And nobody's that cool."- LushMojo

Meh Meh Meh.

Ethell
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Ethell » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:28 pm

UncleBob wrote:
+1

So true. I think my flock quietly schemes against me during the night. Or at the very least against my small children.

Vicious, these particular avians are.

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:36 pm

Ethell wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
+1

So true. I think my flock quietly schemes against me during the night. Or at the very least against my small children.

Vicious, these particular avians are.
They're organized, I know it...
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

MacGuru
I'm a PC
I'm a PC

Post by MacGuru » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:01 pm

I'm just thankful some of these Ill-Tempered Poultry Sources aren't around any more.

----------

----------

Chickens are not my concern in the slightest, comparatively (although a male swan very nearly hospitalized me as a child. Different story, there- as a rule, a very large swan approaching you with neck and wings outstretched making loud hissing sounds is, in fact, not looking to be petted.)
"If you get that you're cooler than MacGuru. And nobody's that cool."- LushMojo

Meh Meh Meh.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:10 pm

I've always wanted to post this little gem, barely noticed in chapter 5 of the Hobbit...
Tolkien wrote:There are strange things living in the pools and lakes in the hearts of mountains: fish whose fathers swam in, goodness only knows how many years ago, and never swam out again, while their eyes grew bigger and bigger and bigger from trying to see in the blackness;
:twisted:

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:15 pm

infidel wrote:
Oh yes you are. You are alone in a dark, cold, meaningless void. Feel the despair, feel it!

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:31 pm

AFRS wrote:
infidel wrote:
Oh yes you are. You are alone in a dark, cold, meaningless void. Feel the despair, feel it!
Your Sith mind tricks have no effect on me!

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:11 pm

+JMJ+
infidel wrote:
wosbald wrote:
infidel wrote:
That's opting for "Man was always Poultry", since both carry the roots of the other. It is opting for the "slime of the earth" by excluding the corresponding balance of the "life-giving breath". And it shows exactly what Darwinism trades upon: Nominalistic Essentialism (With Darwinism being a child of the Enlightenment, this should be no surprise.) There is simply no room for the concept of Essence and Form in Darwinism.

Without embracing a Realist ontology, Science will remain in this Nominalistic trap, relegating Essence/Form to a sphere discontinuous with the domain of Science. But if this discontinuity with the Human sphere (the mediating principle which unites the dichotomous spheres of the Enlightenment's self-imposed dualism) is an immedicable cost of the Darwinistic systematic, then it can never be justly called Science. Instead, it will ever be nothing more than a jumble of data points, desperately assembled in defiance of the Human sphere.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Ethell
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Ethell » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:33 pm

infidel wrote:
AFRS wrote:
infidel wrote:
See, all this debating need not get the blood pressure rising. It's just plain fun!

You're still wrong

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:34 pm

Ethell wrote:
infidel wrote:
AFRS wrote:
infidel wrote:
See, all this debating need not get the blood pressure rising. It's just plain fun!

You're still wrong
You're not the one all alone in a meaningless void.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:41 pm

infidel wrote:
wosbald wrote:
infidel wrote:
That's opting for "Man was always Poultry", since both carry the roots of the other. It is opting for the "slime of the earth" by excluding the corresponding balance of the "life-giving breath". And it shows exactly what Darwinism trades upon: Nominalistic Essentialism (With Darwinism being a child of the Enlightenment, this should be no surprise.) There is simply no room for the concept of Essence and Form in Darwinism.

Without embracing a Realist ontology, Science will remain in this Nominalistic trap, relegating Essence/Form to a sphere discontinuous with the domain of Science. But if this discontinuity with the Human sphere (the mediating principle which unites the dichotomous spheres of the Enlightenment's self-imposed dualism) is an immedicable cost of the Darwinistic systematic, then it can never be justly called Science. Instead, it will ever be nothing more than a jumble of data points, desperately assembled in defiance of the Human sphere.
Bah, you can dress it up in big words to confuse me, but in the grand cosmic venn diagram of all created Forms, everything overlaps everything else in at least one point. Viewed through the lens of time, some Forms will cease to be, and new Forms will come to be. The set of Forms extant today is different than the set of Forms extant yesterday.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:21 pm

+JMJ+
infidel wrote:
wosbald wrote:
infidel wrote:
wosbald wrote:
infidel wrote:

Bah, you can dress it up in big words to confuse me, but in the grand cosmic venn diagram of all created Forms, everything overlaps everything else in at least one point. Viewed through the lens of time, some Forms will cease to be, and new Forms will come to be. The set of Forms extant today is different than the set of Forms extant yesterday.
I'm sure that you can understand it, if you try. But here's a hint: The point of contention is not whether or not the manifestation of Forms change but, rather, that there are Forms. Knowable Forms.

Now, just try to integrate both Knowable Forms and Darwinism into a coherent Scientific paradigm. Try to explain the ghost in the machine without resorting to an ad hoc "'… and then a miracle happens' Postulate" which only finds traction in the "New Age meets Scientism" scientific fringes.

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:38 pm

wosbald wrote:I'm sure that you can understand it, if you try. But here's a hint: The point of contention is not whether or not the manifestation of Forms change but, rather, that there are Forms. Knowable Forms.

Now, just try to integrate both Knowable Forms and Darwinism into a coherent Scientific paradigm. Try to explain the ghost in the machine without resorting to an ad hoc "'… and then a miracle happens' Postulate" which only finds traction in the "New Age meets Scientism" scientific fringes.
The more I think about it, the more I'm having a hard time figuring out why it even matters.