The Evolution Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:20 pm

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta ... th-valley/
Geologists are searching Death Valley and other areas for microscopic fossils of cellular and animal life that thrived on land hundreds of millions of years before the Cambrian explosion of life in the seas.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Ethell
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Ethell » Thu May 01, 2014 4:22 am

Massive whale graveyard in Chile:

http://www.icr.org/article/8046/
With no compelling fossil evidence for these remarkable alterations, we begin our commentary on this Chilean discovery by recognizing that the creatures are 100 percent modern whales, seals, dolphins, and sharks.

SteveH
It's a disgrace. I don't care.

Post by SteveH » Thu May 01, 2014 7:25 am

Ethell wrote:Massive whale graveyard in Chile:

With no compelling fossil evidence for these remarkable alterations, we begin our commentary on this Chilean discovery by recognizing that the creatures are 100 percent modern whales, seals, dolphins, and sharks.
They may well be modern whales etc., but how anyone can believe in creationism in the face of the vast amount of evidence for evolution, and the lack of any compelling evidence for special creation, is beyond me.
I don't bother with a Jacuzzi - I just fart in the bath.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu May 01, 2014 10:19 am

Typical creationist handwaving.
we begin our commentary on this Chilean discovery by recognizing that the creatures are 100 percent modern whales, seals, dolphins, and sharks.
vs.
Identified in the beds were over 40 individual rorquals - the type of large cetacean that includes the modern blue, fin and minke whales.

Among them were other important marine predators and grazers.

"We found extinct creatures such as walrus whales - dolphins that evolved a walrus-like face. And then there were these bizarre aquatic sloths," recalls Nicholas Pyenson, a palaeontologist at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26343894

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu May 01, 2014 10:26 am

Ethell wrote:With no compelling fossil evidence for these remarkable alterations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeoceti

Frankly, if a creationist says the evidence is not "compelling", I take that to mean exactly the opposite of what is true.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Thu May 01, 2014 12:34 pm

infidel wrote:
Ethell wrote:With no compelling fossil evidence for these remarkable alterations

Frankly, if a creationist says the evidence is not "compelling", I take that to mean exactly the opposite of what is true.
They always talk in that pompous way, because they think it makes them sound as if they know what they're talking about.
I don't bother with a Jacuzzi - I just fart in the bath.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Thu May 01, 2014 12:40 pm

SteveH wrote:
infidel wrote:

They always talk in that pompous way, because they think it makes them sound as if they know what they're talking about.
It's easy to be mistaken as pompous to people who believe man used to be the king of the swingers, oh, the jungle VIP.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu May 08, 2014 4:54 pm

http://aeon.co/magazine/nature-and-cosm ... cant-rest/
Biology is wondrously strange – so familiar, yet so strikingly different to physics and chemistry. We know where we are with inanimate matter. Ever since Isaac Newton, it has answered to a basically mechanical view of nature, blindly following its laws without regard for purposes. But could there be, as Immanuel Kant put it, a Newton of the blade of grass? Living things might be made of the same fundamental stuff as the rest of the material world – ‘dead’ atoms and molecules – but they do not behave in the same way at all. In fact, they seem so purposeful as to defy the materialist philosophy on which the rest of modern science was built.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed May 14, 2014 8:03 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed May 14, 2014 10:21 am

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Wed May 14, 2014 11:23 am

Look at the loonies you guys are associated with! :lol:

:wink:
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed May 14, 2014 11:59 am

A BBC story about the same discovery claims that it includes extinct species. That contradicts the ICR report.
"We found extinct creatures such as walrus whales - dolphins that evolved a walrus-like face. And then there were these bizarre aquatic sloths," recalls Nicholas Pyenson, a palaeontologist at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History.
Why are the stories at odds about facts?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed May 14, 2014 12:04 pm

Rusty wrote:

A BBC story about the same discovery claims that it includes extinct species. That contradicts the ICR report.
Scroll up, man!

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed May 14, 2014 12:11 pm

infidel wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Scroll up, man!
Ah I didn't see that. Sorry. But think of it as another voice in a chorus.

He still hasn't addressed the conflict yet (not to suggest that he's prompt anyway). So it's another reminder from another source.

Paging Ethell... please pick up the pink courtesy phone.

:D
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Re: The Evolution Thread

Post by infidel » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Ethell
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

The Evolution Thread

Post by Ethell » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:47 pm

"Hello, this is Ethell. Um, whale bones? And some weird extinct sloth? It was what?! An aquatic ocean dwelling sloth? Um, so, ok, yeah. My bad."

You are right on both counts: 1: I am anything but prompt. 2: There were some other types of creatures there too. So I should ping ICR to ask if they intentionally tried to make their statement sound like ALL the types found were modern forms.

That's the way I read it and if it's what they meant they were clearly wrong at best and lying at worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-----------------------------
"So do not fear for I am with you, do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you by my righteous right hand."

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Saw this. I'm not buying it.

And now, because Pepik allowed it to be, a dancing cheese emoticon for your viewing pleasure:

:cheese:

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:07 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Saw this. I'm not buying it.

And now, because Pepik allowed it to be, a dancing cheese emoticon for your viewing pleasure:

:cheese:
http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com ... e-punched/

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:21 pm

Bare knuckled fist a cuffs usually ends with broken hands if used against a face. Body blow!

Silly article must not have talked to actual fighters

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gene ... 67122.html
The stance and guard were low because bare-knuckle boxing consisted largely of striking the opponent's body. The skull is an extremely hard object, and a full-force punch to an opponent's head could easily result in a broken hand. This is why so many bar-room brawls end after one punch. The "boxer's fracture" a break behind the knuckle of the little finger is regularly seen in hospital casualty departments at weekends.
Or perhaps our ancestors had skulls made of different material that was softer and more malleable so that the hands wouldn't break and the skull would shape and then harden as we became more civilized?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:14 pm

When Beliefs and Facts Collide
In a new study, a Yale Law School professor, Dan Kahan, finds that the divide over belief in evolution between more and less religious people is wider among people who otherwise show familiarity with math and science, which suggests that the problem isn’t a lack of information. When he instead tested whether respondents knew the theory of evolution, omitting mention of belief, there was virtually no difference between more and less religious people with high scientific familiarity. In other words, religious people knew the science; they just weren’t willing to say that they believed in it.