When did Dinosaurs get feathers?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bigwill
Near! Far!
Near! Far!

Post by Bigwill » Tue May 17, 2011 8:03 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:Like I said, Will, I won't argue the point that we are a materialistic society and if you as a parent want to shield your children from an indoctrination of that, kudos to you. As long as you're honest in saying that you or any of us aren't free from its grip, I will agree with you.
I'm not claiming Sainthood. I'm certainly overly materialistic. But I'm trying not to be, and I'm trying to raise my children with the best of all priorities. If Arthur's not gonna help me do that, then that ugly little ghey anteater is OUTTA here.
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good? Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue May 17, 2011 8:04 pm

Bigwill wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:Like I said, Will, I won't argue the point that we are a materialistic society and if you as a parent want to shield your children from an indoctrination of that, kudos to you. As long as you're honest in saying that you or any of us aren't free from its grip, I will agree with you.
I'm not claiming Sainthood. I'm certainly overly materialistic. But I'm trying not to be, and I'm trying to raise my children with the best of all priorities. If Arthur's not gonna help me do that, then that ugly little ghey anteater is OUTTA here.
Fair enough.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Re: When did Dinosaurs get feathers?

Post by AFRS » Tue May 17, 2011 9:49 pm

darthsaturn wrote:Well, they found a velicaraptor who had feathers and was showing them how colorful they were.

Really? When did this happen?
Somewhere between the 6th and 7th Scotch.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue May 17, 2011 9:51 pm

AFRS wrote:
darthsaturn wrote:Well, they found a velicaraptor who had feathers and was showing them how colorful they were.

Hi AFRS! Good to see you back.

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Tue May 17, 2011 9:53 pm

Thunktank wrote:
AFRS wrote:

:wavey:

TheDuke
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by TheDuke » Tue May 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Thunktank wrote:
AFRS wrote:

+1!
Spotted him earlier in this thread:
modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23077&start=15
O give thanks unto the LORD;for he is good;for his mercy endureth forever.Psalm 136;1 

Man...smoking a turd....could there be anything worse? Well....maybe smoking a cob. SimeonTurner3/5/10                         

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Tue May 17, 2011 10:06 pm

Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:Before they were big and then they...no after they were big and developed into...wait, before and after they...crud, I don't know. They keep freakin changing it.
You are a poster child for the Dunning Kruger effect. Not only do you not understand evolution as it relates to dinosaurs, you seem to lack even enough understanding of science to recognize that scientists have a superior working knowledge of evolution to you.
And that, therefore, a mere layman could never understand the hidden secrets of Science? Sounds like mysticism.
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Tue May 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Onyx wrote:scientists have a superior working knowledge of evolution
BUAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA

OH MY!! More scotch....

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue May 17, 2011 10:25 pm

sysiphus wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:Before they were big and then they...no after they were big and developed into...wait, before and after they...crud, I don't know. They keep freakin changing it.
You are a poster child for the Dunning Kruger effect. Not only do you not understand evolution as it relates to dinosaurs, you seem to lack even enough understanding of science to recognize that scientists have a superior working knowledge of evolution to you.
And that, therefore, a mere layman could never understand the hidden secrets of Science? Sounds like mysticism.
Expertise is highly regarded for a reason, right? Otherwise, why do universities exist?

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Tue May 17, 2011 10:31 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
sysiphus wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Expertise is highly regarded for a reason, right? Otherwise, why do universities exist?
Hahahahahahahhahahhhhahhhhahahah......
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue May 17, 2011 10:35 pm

gaining_age wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
sysiphus wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Despite the large number of idiots graduating universities, they allow others to acquire knowledge that cannot be acquired while supporting oneself. There's a reason why we don't let your average Joe write himself a prescription.

Kerdy has shown his mistaken knowledge of evolutionary biology in the past. I'm no biologist, but even I can tell that he has had it wrong on a couple of occasions.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Tue May 17, 2011 10:46 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
sysiphus wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Despite the large number of idiots graduating universities, they allow others to acquire knowledge that cannot be acquired while supporting oneself. There's a reason why we don't let your average Joe write himself a prescription.

Kerdy has shown his mistaken knowledge of evolutionary biology in the past. I'm no biologist, but even I can tell that he has had it wrong on a couple of occasions.
The universities are a business. First and foremost they have to sustain themselves (first property of a group as per group dynamics). Profs have to bring in grant money as a priority. Student "satisfaction" as measured by polling opinions weigh heavily towards tenure decisions etc.

Don't kid yourself about Universities being ivory towers as keepers of knowledge.

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Tue May 17, 2011 10:47 pm

sysiphus wrote:
Onyx wrote:
No, that's pretty much the opposite of what I'm saying. Kerdy is way smart enough to get a good grasp of the evolution. I have a couple of books I could recommend which I think Kerdy would easily grasp and they would increase his sense of wonder at the natural world.

The trouble is that rather than learn about it, he thinks he can see flaws in it because his knowledge of it is so meager that he lacks even the knowledge to assess his own ignorance of the field.

Evolution is fact. We have long known that both birds and mammals evolved from reptiles. The point that has recently come into the public knowledge is that the reptiles from which birds evolved may have been from within the group of reptiles we call dinosaurs. I don't know what level of proof exists for this. As Kerdy suggests, it is subject to revision, because people continue to learn. However the knowledge that birds evolved from some form of reptile is so well established that we describe it as a "fact". The phenomenon we observe here of Christians mocking this sort of science is a discredit to Christianity, and speaks poorly of any genuine desire to seek truth.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue May 17, 2011 10:48 pm

gaining_age wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
sysiphus wrote:
Onyx wrote:

The universities are a business. First and foremost they have to sustain themselves (first property of a group as per group dynamics). Profs have to bring in grant money as a priority. Student "satisfaction" as measured by polling opinions weigh heavily towards tenure decisions etc.

Don't kid yourself about Universities being ivory towers as keepers of knowledge.

G.
So Hawking could have learned all that he has learned about physics with a day job?

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue May 17, 2011 10:52 pm

gaining_age wrote:Don't kid yourself about Universities being ivory towers as keepers of knowledge.
Yeah, they're in business to make sure this sort of stuff doesn't happen:

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Tue May 17, 2011 10:56 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
sysiphus wrote:
Onyx wrote:

G.
So Hawking could have learned all that he has learned about physics with a day job?
Prestige is still a factor. The bigger the name recognition the more it helps the university and the university name helps the physicists.

I'm not sure what you are asking. I do physics on the side off and on. It is not my day job. I may write a book and I may teach at university (or college) some day. There are advantages but I don't desire (at this point) running a lab and (in contrast to) running the grant race.

I once heard a prof suggest that gravitational theoretical physicists are needed like poets-- not many but you should have a few around for breadth ;)

G.
The 6s of 1st John:

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed May 18, 2011 9:54 am

jruegg wrote:When did Dinosaurs get feathers?.....

Right before they became delicious.
FTW
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Wed May 18, 2011 10:33 am

infidel wrote:
jruegg wrote:When did Dinosaurs get feathers?.....

Right before they became delicious.
FTW
I tend to agree with infidel that Feathered-dinosaur Theorists are Wacko
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed May 18, 2011 10:38 am

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed May 18, 2011 10:56 am

gaining_age wrote:I once heard a prof suggest that gravitational theoretical physicists are needed like poets-- not many but you should have a few around for breadth ;)

G.
Yeah, well there is a lot more than a few. Most of the big name universities have a group doing research in cosmology, relativity, gravitation, etc It's not unusual to see groups like this:
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/research/#Ge ... 0Cosmology

http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/en/Sci ... avitation/

These are just two examples off the top of my head. I'm sure that I could find lots more.

It's very active.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light