Most recent coffee (or tea)

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Re: Most recent coffee (or tea)

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:21 am

Office coffee.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:38 am

Bought a Bodum pour over coffee maker last week. It’s a Chemex knock off. I’ve been using Walmart cone filters and preground Starbucks. The results have been so-so. I need the Chemex filters but they aren’t cheap. It also takes a long time to brew enough coffee for me and the Mrs. I will probably end up getting a new drip machine. I bailed on K Cups since they are expensive, don’t make very good coffee, and are wasteful.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:55 am

arank87 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:38 am
Bought a Bodum pour over coffee maker last week. It’s a Chemex knock off. I’ve been using Walmart cone filters and preground Starbucks. The results have been so-so. I need the Chemex filters but they aren’t cheap. It also takes a long time to brew enough coffee for me and the Mrs. I will probably end up getting a new drip machine. I bailed on K Cups since they are expensive, don’t make very good coffee, and are wasteful.
After trying everything on the market, we're down to a Mr. Coffee and a nespresso machine.

My wife was on a tear for perfect coffee for a while. :P
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:50 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:55 am
arank87 wrote:
After trying everything on the market, we're down to a Mr. Coffee and a nespresso machine.

I honestly thought the pour over thing would be cheaper than K cups (it is), better (it is), and easy enough (not) to justify the switch. I don’t need perfect coffee, I just want good coffee consistently.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:01 am

arank87 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
arank87 wrote:

I honestly thought the pour over thing would be cheaper than K cups (it is), better (it is), and easy enough (not) to justify the switch. I don’t need perfect coffee, I just want good coffee consistently.
You may want to try a Moka pot. A big one will make enough coffee for two. You just fill it and set it on the stove to do it’s thing. The filter is part of it so there is very little waste. Just make sure you use a lower burner setting or it will over extract the coffee. It’s like poor man’s espresso.

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:41 am

BeefyG wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:01 am
arank87 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
arank87 wrote:

You may want to try a Moka pot. A big one will make enough coffee for two. You just fill it and set it on the stove to do it’s thing. The filter is part of it so there is very little waste. Just make sure you use a lower burner setting or it will over extract the coffee. It’s like poor man’s espresso.
I have one and have used it in the past. I should try it again but I was not super impressed with its ability to deliver consistent results. Could have been user error.

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:33 pm

BeefyG wrote:
arank87 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
arank87 wrote:

Nonna?
—Marcus Aurelius

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:52 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:33 pm
BeefyG wrote:
arank87 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
arank87 wrote:

Nonna?
Wasn't Wos a professional cupper at one point or are my realities crashing into each other...
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:38 am

arank87 wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
arank87 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
arank87 wrote:

I have one and have used it in the past. I should try it again but I was not super impressed with its ability to deliver consistent results. Could have been user error.
A kitchen scale for the water and grounds is key for consistency. I use one when making cold brew because I tend to add too much coffee. Otherwise I don’t worry about it much. I frequently change up my beans, grind, and method of brewing so consistency isn’t something for which I strive.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:18 pm

+JMJ+

Starbucks Holiday Blend 2019; Syphon brewed

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:40 pm

Twinnings Irish Breakfast with milk and a little sugar right now.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:04 am

+JMJ+

Sam's Choice (Walmart) Main 105; Syphon brewed

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:04 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Cobster
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Cobster » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:11 pm

arank87 wrote:
Me being the chemex junkie that I am, this is what I have learned from the bodum: its inferior at making coffee compared to the chemex system. I don't like the shape of the bodum or how it pours.
What I have found is if you take the metal filter from the bodum, it fits ok in a chemex filter and it really speeds up the brew proscess. I make chemex every morning so I cut corners when I can? There was a shortage on Chemex filters I finnaly got my 3 boxes I ordered 3 months ago from williams and sonoma.

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:06 pm

Cobster wrote:
arank87 wrote:
Me being the chemex junkie that I am, this is what I have learned from the bodum: its inferior at making coffee compared to the chemex system. I don't like the shape of the bodum or how it pours.
What I have found is if you take the metal filter from the bodum, it fits ok in a chemex filter and it really speeds up the brew proscess. I make chemex every morning so I cut corners when I can? There was a shortage on Chemex filters I finnaly got my 3 boxes I ordered 3 months ago from williams and sonoma.
If you want a Chemex and go to thrift stores, check the vases. I’ve bought three Chemex from Goodwill for about $3 each. All of them were mixed in with the vases.

Cobster
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Cobster » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:02 pm

BeefyG wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:06 pm
Cobster wrote:
arank87 wrote:
If you want a Chemex and go to thrift stores, check the vases. I’ve bought three Chemex from Goodwill for about $3 each. All of them were mixed in with the vases.
😳😳😳 I just bought a new 10 cup glass handel!! (I prefer my 6c wood grip on how it feels and handels in my hand)

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:09 pm

+JMJ+

Sam's Choice (Walmart) Main 105; Syphon brewed

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:38 pm

Some kinda fancy coconut green tea. I think it’s Harney & Sons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Insert pithy quote here]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:09 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:18 am

Eight O'Clock with Splenda and Half and Half. Washed it down with a huge football sized bacon/sausage/pepperjack/jalapeno omelet.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"