ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:17 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:15 pm
I changed that post a bit for clarity while you were responding.
No, I’m afraid I have to get up early tomorrow and I’m already in bed (with my iPad).
COPY UR QRT

:zzz:

:lol:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:57 pm

Well I'll be ...

A buddy in Denver (KC0GBF) has been scouring antique stores and thrift shops for me looking for two bugs: a 60s vintage E.F. Johnson Speed-X, which was my first bug, the one I used all through my Novice days; and a 1920s black japanned and gold pinstriped base Vibroplex.

This Speed-X:

This Vibroplex:

Just got a text from him with this photo:

He found it in a thrift shop near his home. $60. With this nameplate it's a 1950s version.
I told him to buy it!

I think it will clean up very nicely. I'll get a couple of binding post nuts from Vibroplex that will fit - they still sell parts.

I can't believe he found it!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:14 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:57 pm
Well I'll be ...

A buddy in Denver (KC0GBF) has been scouring antique stores and thrift shops for me looking for two bugs: a 60s vintage E.F. Johnson Speed-X, which was my first bug, the one I used all through my Novice days; and a 1920s black japanned and gold pinstriped base Vibroplex.

This Speed-X:

This Vibroplex:

Just got a text from him with this photo:

He found it in a thrift shop near his home. $60. With this nameplate it's a 1950s version.
I told him to buy it!

I think it will clean up very nicely. I'll get a couple of binding post nuts from Vibroplex that will fit - they still sell parts.

I can't believe he found it!
:taco:

Excellent find proving it's good to have another set of eyes out there looking for you.

I had similar luck years ago with a Newhouse trap I was searching for that a friend found in an antique shop.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:05 pm

New series Colorado plates on our car this week . . .

Old plates still in use in the shack . . .

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Very nice. I keep thinking I'll get another callsign plate (W4SER) but alas, inertia keeps me from it.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:17 pm

Junker on the way.

Stay Tuned.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:54 pm

Steverino wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 pm
Very nice. I keep thinking I'll get another callsign plate (W4SER) but alas, inertia keeps me from it.
They’re free and pretty effortless here.
Even inertia couldn’t stop me.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:54 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:17 pm
Junker on the way.

Stay Tuned.
:chili: :chili: :chili:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:54 pm
Steverino wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 pm
They’re free and pretty effortless here.
Even inertia couldn’t stop me.
Very nice indeed. If I ever get a 1x2 I'll likely get a plate, or, indolence.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:58 am

More pictures!

My Elmer, Jim - W9KV, passed away a few weeks ago. I've been in contact with the family, and spoke this morning with one of his sons who is managing the estate. Jim wanted his children to sell some of the most marketable items from his shack, and he's giving much of the rest of his radio gear to his local radio club, but he specified a few very special items for me.

The gem among them is this 6L6 30 watt (input) crystal controlled transmitter that he built, breadboard style:

The construction is absolute perfection and is typical of Jim's home-brew projects.

When it arrives, I'll check it out to see if it's still functional (I built one very much like it, but on a chassis and with a 6V6 in the 60s). It may not be. If not, I might put the tubes in the sockets and leave just the filaments wired for display. But on the chance that it's still operational, I'll put it back on the air.

I may have mentioned that many years ago Jim modified my FT-101E to work on the WARC bands. He always said we did that project "together." Mostly, I handed him tools and parts. He did that unbelievably delicate and complex task from memory (he'd done it to his own 101 earlier). I remember that it involved placing some new taps on the tank coil, putting new contacts on the existing band switch, adding new crystals and many other things I can no longer remember - and most impressively, finding and identifying a receiver birdie and then building a tunable trap to eliminate it.

"We" did it in a single day. Every part he needed (including the beautiful, tiny, open-plate variable capacitor by Hammarlund used in the trap) were in his enormous row of well organized parts bins.

Jim was the Director of Technical Services for WBBM TV in Chicago before he retired to Colorado.

I was blessed to call him my friend and Elmer.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:50 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:58 am
More pictures!

My Elmer, Jim - W9KV, passed away a few weeks ago. I've been in contact with the family, and spoke this morning with one of his sons who is managing the estate. Jim wanted his children to sell some of the most marketable items from his shack, and he's giving much of the rest of his radio gear to his local radio club, but he specified a few very special items for me.

The gem among them is this 6L6 30 watt (input) crystal controlled transmitter that he built, breadboard style:

The construction is absolute perfection and is typical of Jim's home-brew projects.

When it arrives, I'll check it out to see if it's still functional (I built one very much like it, but on a chassis and with a 6V6 in the 60s). It may not be. If not, I might put the tubes in the sockets and leave just the filaments wired for display. But on the chance that it's still operational, I'll put it back on the air.

I may have mentioned that many years ago Jim modified my FT-101E to work on the WARC bands. He always said we did that project "together." Mostly, I handed him tools and parts. He did that unbelievably delicate and complex task from memory (he'd done it to his own 101 earlier). I remember that it involved placing some new taps on the tank coil, putting new contacts on the existing band switch, adding new crystals and many other things I can no longer remember - and most impressively, finding and identifying a receiver birdie and then building a tunable trap to eliminate it.

"We" did it in a single day. Every part he needed (including the beautiful, tiny, open-plate variable capacitor by Hammarlund used in the trap) were in his enormous row of well organized parts bins.

Jim was the Director of Technical Services for WBBM TV in Chicago before he retired to Colorado.

I was blessed to call him my friend and Elmer.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend and elmer.

That looks like quite the project. A lot of knowledge and experience.

Thanks for the share.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:58 pm

My latest project was restoring an old E.F. Johnson Speed-X (114-520) bug. This was a smaller sized, lighter weight, economy key and the first bug I ever owned. I posted a little about this in the "What are you working on" thread, but thought I might post a few more photos and info here for us hams.

This is the cleaned, lubed and adjusted key with new springs and binding post nuts:

The new dit spring:

The new dah spring:

My hardware store had binding post nuts, but only in brass. I "borrowed" the chrome nuts from my Vibroplex Original Deluxe for the Johnson and have the brass nuts on the Vibroplex for the time being. This morning I ordered another set of chrome nuts from Vibroplex, but I may leave the brass ones on the chrome Original. They look kinda cool:

But I have to admit, these are my favorite binding post nuts:

They seem more elegant and finished to me. I wish I could still find them!

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:57 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:58 pm
My latest project was restoring an old E.F. Johnson Speed-X (114-520) bug. This was a smaller sized, lighter weight, economy key and the first bug I ever owned. I posted a little about this in the "What are you working on" thread, but thought I might post a few more photos and info here for us hams.

This is the cleaned, lubed and adjusted key with new springs and binding post nuts:

The new dit spring:

The new dah spring:

My hardware store had binding post nuts, but only in brass. I "borrowed" the chrome nuts from my Vibroplex Original Deluxe for the Johnson and have the brass nuts on the Vibroplex for the time being. This morning I ordered another set of chrome nuts from Vibroplex, but I may leave the brass ones on the chrome Original. They look kinda cool:

But I have to admit, these are my favorite binding post nuts:

They seem more elegant and finished to me. I wish I could still find them!
Excellent work. Very fine business, Steve.

I'm afraid that I have the bug, bug.

This is not helping.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:37 pm

A very nice 1957 Original Standard:

https://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=1452535

Bwa-ha-hah!

:twisted:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:03 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:37 pm
A very nice 1957 Original Standard:

https://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=1452535

Bwa-ha-hah!

:twisted:
:evil:

:rotfl:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:20 am

Jocose wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:49 am
9 States + Canada

Alaska
California
Idaho
Montana
Nevada
Oregon
Texas
Utah
Washington

100% CW

CW FOREVER

ONLY 41 more States needed for WAS

HI HI

Just added Mexico to the logbook.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:46 am

Jocose wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:20 am
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:49 am
9 States + Canada

Alaska
California
Idaho
Montana
Nevada
Oregon
Texas
Utah
Washington

100% CW

CW FOREVER

ONLY 41 more States needed for WAS

HI HI

Just added Mexico to the logbook.
:joy:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:02 am

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:11 am

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:47 pm

Still playing around with the bugs ...

Put the Varispeed back on the Vibroplex Original.
Put the heaviest weight I have on the Varispeed.

Voila - very nice sounding 15 WPM.
And with a little Farnsworth, I think 10 is still quite listenable.

Should be nice for QRS contacts.

I worked a Maryland ham, SKCC, last night at around 13 WPM with the straight key. After about 10 minutes my hand and wrist were fatigued and my code started to get embarrassingly sloppy. No wonder the bug was invented for full-time working operators!

And I doubt I’ll be giving up my paddles and keyers anytime soon. :lol: