ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:33 pm

CT1BQH from Portugal is on 14.058

Yuge pile up tho.

I need to learn how to work split.

Got the Yaesu cranked up to 80 watts
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:18 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:33 pm
CT1BQH from Portugal is on 14.058

Yuge pile up tho.

I need to learn how to work split.

Got the Yaesu cranked up to 80 watts
Just listened - he's either gone or I don't have propagation.

I could post more detailed advice, but it would get Loooooong!
(There should be some videos available - even some geared to your specific radio.)

Don't know your particular radio, Jo - my Yaesu has two receivers so it's very different, and my Icom has the "Split" and "XFC" buttons I'll describe below, but quickly ...

There should be a "Split" button on your rig. Pushing it will allow you to set different receive and transmit frequencies. Start with them both set to the same freq. - that of the DX.

There should also be another button that switches your receiver from listening on the DX station's freq. to both listening on and setting the rig to your split transmit frequency. Sometimes it's labeled "XFC."

Tune the rig to the DX station's freq.
Push the SPLIT button. Equalize the two frequencies. (Nothing worse than calling on the wrong band!)

After the DX makes a call, push and hold the XFC (or whatever button allows you to both change and listen to your transmit freq.)

Before making any calls listen back and forth between the DX and the pileup.

Try to find the stations he's working and see if you can detect a pattern in the way the DX is operating (jumping around at random, moving up or down through the pileup, favoring an area of the pileup, etc.).

Listen and respond to the DX station's requests ion there are any ... "Europe," "US," "JA" (Japan), "QRP," etc. ... and wait your turn before calling.

The Dx may just say "UP" to indicate split, or "UP 1" to indicate that he's "roughly" listening 1 kHz higher than the freq. he's calling on.

Hearing the stations he's answering and the frequencies they're calling on will be your best indication if you can find them.

If he's jumping around at random, find a freq. and stay on it and begin to call.

If you can detect a pattern, try to anticipate him by listening to a station he's responding to and calling on a freq. according to the current pattern you're seeing - a little up, a little down, whatever.

That's a good way to start.

After a while, and lots of practice, you'll develop a kind of 6th sense about working split that will often put your call on the frequency he's listening to. And if you're not drowned out by big guns, you'll make the contact. I worked my first hundred and a few more with 100 watts and a random dipole. There have probably been more DXCC certificates awarded with 100w and a wire than anything else.

I haven't pursued it with any seriousness (and hadn't done it in a while), but I have around 50 countries on my QRP DX list.

Good operating and cooperating propagation are more important than power and antenna gain (but they sure help - especially on the lower bands, and now in terms of sunspots).

It definitely takes practice. The most important thing is to LISTEN to the pileup as well as the DX before making any calls yourself.

Remember to turn off the SPLIT when you're done.

Post when you've managed to log one!
It's a big leap in your operating proficiency.

Good luck!!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:38 pm

One more thing, Jo:

If you have a spectrum scope on your radio, you should be able to spot the stations in the pileup that the DX is working and use that information to help you set your transmit frequency.

My Icom has a spectrum scope, my Yaesu doesn't.

I vastly prefer operating with my Yaesu (that I can also use with my amp), so I rarely use the Icom for DX. I haven't found the absence of a spectrum scope to be a handicap, but operators who have learned to operate on radios with spectrum scopes definitely feel differently.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:29 pm

Thank you, Steve. I'll continue to look back on this advice.

My Elecraft can work split (time to revisit YouTube to learn) but it's only 10 watts so whenever I have heard DX the past I'll run inside (if I'm home on the porch) and turn on the Yaesu for more power. After looking just now, it can work split as well.

One of these days I'd like to get set up with an ICOM 7300

ONE WORD:

Absolutely lovely rigs. I had the pleasure of playing around on one at HRO.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:03 pm

Great radio.

Split ops on the 7300 work very well - excellent ergonomics.

After setting it up for split, I listen to the DX on VFO A, Set VFO B (the transmit freq.) on the pileup, put the index finger of my right hand on the XFC button, toggle between the two VFOs to listen to the DX and the pileup while tuning VFO B with the other fingers on my right hand, freeing my left hand for the paddles. (I’m left handed.)

Above is a photo of the rig working split (up 1).
DX was calling on 14023.00, I called and worked him on 14024.09.

Easier and more natural than it sounds.

(Just checked my log. This QSO was on 10/4/2019 with Z3KA on Tokelau with 75w and my doublet.)

You’ve likely noticed the frequency, Jo.
An awful lot of really good DX works in the bottom 25 KHz.

Just as the General ticket opened up a whole new wonderful world, if you love CW (as you do) the Extra Class ticket gets you some prime CW real estate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the radio first came out it was considered a steal at $1300.
It’s selling for $880 now after coupons and rebate!

Of course, everyone’s broke.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:08 am

Jocose wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:50 pm
So I added Maine and Indiana yesterday Kansas and Florida today using Morse code all while isolating on the porch amd smoking a pipe.

I find it oddly satisfying that a 9 volt and a 12 volt battery powered radio with a wire chucked into a tree can reach such distances.

Still not as cool as durangopipe contacting the Mediterranean on voice and all of the world he has reached using Morse Code.
► Show Spoiler
CW forever

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:22 am

Jocose wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:08 am
Jocose wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:50 pm
So I added Maine and Indiana yesterday Kansas and Florida today using Morse code all while isolating on the porch amd smoking a pipe.

I find it oddly satisfying that a 9 volt and a 12 volt battery powered radio with a wire chucked into a tree can reach such distances.

Still not as cool as durangopipe contacting the Mediterranean on voice and all of the world he has reached using Morse Code.
► Show Spoiler
CW forever
Fantastic!

Not a bad way to pass the time while self-isolating.
Not a bad way at all.

Listen for DX calling today. The Russian DX contest is this weekend, but you can work any DX station that’s calling CQ. The exchange is very simple: 599 and a serial number that indicates the order in which you worked them - 1,2,3,4 ..., Russian stations will send you 599 and an abbreviation for their oblast.

Europe was wide open on 20m from here yesterday afternoon when I operated for a little while.

So fortunate you upgraded to General when you did, Jo.
I don’t think there are going to be any test sessions for awhile.

We had one scheduled here for next week, but I haven’t heard anything from our VE liaison (I’m on the VE team), and I’m sure it will be cancelled.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:56 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:22 am

We had one scheduled here for next week, but I haven’t heard anything from our VE liaison (I’m on the VE team), and I’m sure it will be cancelled.
I read that interest in Ham radio has surged during the crisis.

Click

From the article.

In a comparison of the time period from March 5-13, 2020, to the same days in 2019, the number of persons signing up for amateur radio license courses on HamRadioPrep.com has soared more than 700% since news of the coronavirus outbreak dominated headlines. At the same time, the FCC shows a 7.1% percent uptick in new amateur licensees in the first week of March in 2020 vs the same week in 2019.

--- In other news ---

I also read that someone, somewhere is starting a remote testing session that is run by either a Judge or a police chief which will exclude a VE team. I cant find the piece at the moment but am looking for it.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:42 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:56 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:22 am

I read that interest in Ham radio has surged during the crisis.

Click

From the article.

In a comparison of the time period from March 5-13, 2020, to the same days in 2019, the number of persons signing up for amateur radio license courses on HamRadioPrep.com has soared more than 700% since news of the coronavirus outbreak dominated headlines. At the same time, the FCC shows a 7.1% percent uptick in new amateur licensees in the first week of March in 2020 vs the same week in 2019.

--- In other news ---

I also read that someone, somewhere is starting a remote testing session that is run by either a Judge or a police chief which will exclude a VE team. I cant find the piece at the moment but am looking for it.
It would be great if they could make online testing available.

It would be very difficult to detect cheating. As you know, monitor/examiners wander around the room during test sessions and calculators are checked to be sure that they haven’t been pre-programmed. I don’t know how you’d do that online.

Yes, I’d heard that interest in ham radio had increased and that online ham radio retail sales had spiked.

So for the internet record, as JimVH would say (slightly modified):

I have no guns, no ammo, no ham radio gear or tiolet paper to steal.
Just a moat with alligators and claymores strung around the perimeter.

And I live in Siberia.

:pipe3:

FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:50 am

We're under a 'Stay at Home' order (finally) in CO and it makes me wonder - - - Is there still a network of radio operators who can be called in to service in case of emergency? Back in the old days, I remember hearing of needs and news being radioed out of disaster areas. After hurricanes and tornadoes particularly.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:09 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:50 am
We're under a 'Stay at Home' order (finally) in CO and it makes me wonder - - - Is there still a network of radio operators who can be called in to service in case of emergency? Back in the old days, I remember hearing of needs and news being radioed out of disaster areas. After hurricanes and tornadoes particularly.
Yes. Absolutely.

Our local radio club maintains two mountaintop repeaters (one is solar powered) for reliable local communication in case of a civilian communication infrastructure failure ...

and most of the members participate in Field Day annually, which is a rapid deployment, emergency power, long range radio exercise.

My wife (she is licensed, too) and I have a “Field Day” kit with radios and antennae that we can set up and operate anywhere, and a home station that can be run off of the car battery in a pinch.

Our county emergency communication plan includes the use of local ham radio operators and infrastructure.

In the past, we’ve been called out during searches for lost hunters where the cell phones don’t work and there are gaps in the LEO repeaters, and during major wildfires. After a day or two the Feds sometimes replace us with portable repeaters they bring in.

More generally, hams all over the world have been the first communicators to get up and running during major disasters all over the world.

There are some established emergency communications nets and frequencies that swing into action during the exact situations you mentioned, and hams all over the world monitor them during disasters.

It’s still there and still used, Fred. It’s one of the reasons why hams are given so much precious radio spectrum.

FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:27 am

I'll sleep better tonight knowing that dp and jo have my back.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:43 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:27 am
:thumbsup:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:31 pm

FredS wrote:

FredS slapping dp and jo

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:14 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:31 pm
FredS wrote:

FredS slapping dp and jo
:rotfl:

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:16 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:50 am
And there’s also this ...
Radio Amateurs Team Up to Help University Design Low-Cost Ventilator
03/23/2020
Amateur radio volunteers from around the world have volunteered to assist University of Florida Professor Sam Lampotang and his engineering team in their quest to rapidly develop an open-source, low-cost patient ventilator that can be built anywhere from such commonly available components as PVC pipe and lawn-sprinkler valves. The amateur radio volunteers are developing Arduino-based control software that will set the respiratory rate and other key parameters in treating critically ill coronavirus victims.

Multiple volunteers responding to a call for help from Gordon Gibby, MD, KX4Z, included noted software developer Jack Purdum, W8TEE, and uBITX transceiver maker Ashhar Farhan, VU2ESE. University of Florida physicians are working to address the critical legal aspects as the design moves closer to fruition.

The ventilator’s valves would precisely time compressed oxygen flow into patient breathing circuits under Arduino control, allowing exhausted patients with “stiff” lungs impacted by viral pneumonia to survive until their body can clear the infection. The software design team is also adding simple features such as an LCD display, encoders to choose parameters, and watchdog safety features. -- Thanks to Gordon Gibby, KX4Z
It’s amazing, the range of technical expertise in the amateur radio community.

FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:08 pm

That's pretty sweet. And, not trying to sound like a militia member here, it's amazing what people can do when governments relax regulations a little then get out of the way. It seems that respirators will be key pieces of life saving equipment and that we don't have enough of them. Shortages may put health care workers in the horrible position of deciding who lives and dies based on assigning the available equipment. I've heard stories from Italy where docs actually had to remove ventilators from some patients to shift over to others with better predicted outcomes. What a heavy burden that must be.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:50 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:08 pm
That's pretty sweet. And, not trying to sound like a militia member here, it's amazing what people can do when governments relax regulations a little then get out of the way. It seems that respirators will be key pieces of life saving equipment and that we don't have enough of them. Shortages may put health care workers in the horrible position of deciding who lives and dies based on assigning the available equipment. I've heard stories from Italy where docs actually had to remove ventilators from some patients to shift over to others with better predicted outcomes. What a heavy burden that must be.
I can't imagine what it would be like to be in that position.