ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3363
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:17 pm

Oh yeah, more news. I got loaded into the FCC database as a General Licensee. No more \\AG after my callsign now. I printed up four copies of my General License in case I lose some.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9518
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:29 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:17 pm
Oh yeah, more news. I got loaded into the FCC database as a General Licensee. No more \\AG after my callsign now. I printed up four copies of my General License in case I lose some.
:thumbsup:
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25600
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:34 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:12 pm
Jocose wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:57 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:54 pm
Jocose wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:46 pm
Image

Stanley?
Getting there. VHF/UHF, an HT VHF, HF Transceiver, SWR Meter, Dummy load, 32 amp switching power supply, 22 amp linear power supply, new soldering gun, reloading bench turned into a work bench, new desk, new surge protector power strips, an amp, tons of wire, ground rod, multi-meter, wire strippers, coax connectors, 150 feet of coax total so far, and I know I'm forgetting some stuff.

Thinking about moving my station from the den into the back bedroom which will require rerouting all the coax and ground wire and drilling a hole in the floor. Oh yeah, forgot about the VHF/UHF antennas and stuff. And the desk.

I'm considering buying a new house with an extra room that I can turn into a shack.

Worth it.

I've been listening a lot and transmitting very little until I learn the practices and good manners. I've been listening to 80 meters tonight and some of those guys talk pretty ugly. A few arguments. It was kind of like CPS a few times but without the pipes, tobacco and God.
Prolly 75 meters, I tune in every so often and listen.

CW is truly the Gentleman's band and I much prefer the mode.
Working on the CW but I admit I've been slowed down while trying to learn all the functions of this new transceiver. I'll get there though, on my honor as a gentleman I'll get there. Wait, I'm no gentleman.....but I'll get there anyway. Top priority is making a QSO with you and Durango using CW. Y'ou''ll have to slow down a lot though.

Wait, I forgot the big news. I actually did check in as a guest with a net(?) yesterday. I forgot the first part of the group's name but the last part was "Moonbeam". It was in California. Yep, I actually transmitted to and was received in California. Wow!. i also was going to check in with a guy in Brazil but I couldn't get in so many people were checking in with him. His signal was great, like he was next door. I'm loving this new HF thing.
Woot!

Looking forward to a QSO with you.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9518
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:48 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:34 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:12 pm
Jocose wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:57 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:54 pm
Jocose wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:46 pm
Image

Stanley?
Getting there. VHF/UHF, an HT VHF, HF Transceiver, SWR Meter, Dummy load, 32 amp switching power supply, 22 amp linear power supply, new soldering gun, reloading bench turned into a work bench, new desk, new surge protector power strips, an amp, tons of wire, ground rod, multi-meter, wire strippers, coax connectors, 150 feet of coax total so far, and I know I'm forgetting some stuff.

Thinking about moving my station from the den into the back bedroom which will require rerouting all the coax and ground wire and drilling a hole in the floor. Oh yeah, forgot about the VHF/UHF antennas and stuff. And the desk.

I'm considering buying a new house with an extra room that I can turn into a shack.

Worth it.

I've been listening a lot and transmitting very little until I learn the practices and good manners. I've been listening to 80 meters tonight and some of those guys talk pretty ugly. A few arguments. It was kind of like CPS a few times but without the pipes, tobacco and God.
Prolly 75 meters, I tune in every so often and listen.

CW is truly the Gentleman's band and I much prefer the mode.
Working on the CW but I admit I've been slowed down while trying to learn all the functions of this new transceiver. I'll get there though, on my honor as a gentleman I'll get there. Wait, I'm no gentleman.....but I'll get there anyway. Top priority is making a QSO with you and Durango using CW. Y'ou''ll have to slow down a lot though.

Wait, I forgot the big news. I actually did check in as a guest with a net(?) yesterday. I forgot the first part of the group's name but the last part was "Moonbeam". It was in California. Yep, I actually transmitted to and was received in California. Wow!. i also was going to check in with a guy in Brazil but I couldn't get in so many people were checking in with him. His signal was great, like he was next door. I'm loving this new HF thing.
Woot!

Looking forward to a QSO with you.
Woot Woot!

The phone portion of 80m is referred to as 75m, Stanley, and there are a few crabby old characters that gripe there. I haven’t used 75m phone in decades!

There’s also a well-known kook who holds forth on 20m, but generally 20m is friendly.

Glad to know your dipole is working so well!
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25600
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:49 pm

I found a tower and its Half Off!!
► Show Spoiler
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3363
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:09 am

I ended up getting a DX 80 OCF 80 meter off center fed multi band dipole antenna. https://www.gigaparts.com/radiowavz-dx80sh.html It arrived here yesterday. I've also ordered UV resistant rope, pullies, eye bolts, insulators, etc. to put it up which should be here next week. I I did some measuring and found two trees that will work and make the antenna wire almost straight and will put the center feed connector right at the peak of my roof line.

I plan to put it up next Friday because ........ wasps. There's a big nest in the attic vent right under that peak of the roofline. I hate wasps. They look like something Jocose would ride around the galaxy in plus they sting. Also, I don't need a wasp swarm panic attack while I'm 30 feet up on my roof, not at my age anyway. I might do a sneak attack on them from inside my attic one night before hand.

Anyway, next Thursday night it's supposed to be in the thirties so hopefully that will keep whatever wasps are up there fairly docile when I start drilling right above their nest. I'm also going to put a mount for my VHF/UHF antenna up there. That will put it about 35-40 off the ground.

Once I get that done and adjusted I hope to make a QSO with you guys at some point but not using CW yet.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9518
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:26 am

Jocose wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:49 pm
I found a tower and its Half Off!!
► Show Spoiler
:lol:

Keep your eyes open ...

Hams who are moving to a place where they can’t put up a tower, wives of hams who have passed away, etc., often will offer to give towers and antennas to someone who will volunteer to take the tower down and haul it away.

Over the years I’ve had several such offers. Sadly, Mrs. Durango pipe just doesn’t want a tower here.

Having some ham friends to help with the project is a plus.
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9518
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:30 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:09 am
I ended up getting a DX 80 OCF 80 meter off center fed multi band dipole antenna. https://www.gigaparts.com/radiowavz-dx80sh.html It arrived here yesterday. I've also ordered UV resistant rope, pullies, eye bolts, insulators, etc. to put it up which should be here next week. I I did some measuring and found two trees that will work and make the antenna wire almost straight and will put the center feed connector right at the peak of my roof line.

I plan to put it up next Friday because ........ wasps. There's a big nest in the attic vent right under that peak of the roofline. I hate wasps. They look like something Jocose would ride around the galaxy in plus they sting. Also, I don't need a wasp swarm panic attack while I'm 30 feet up on my roof, not at my age anyway. I might do a sneak attack on them from inside my attic one night before hand.

Anyway, next Thursday night it's supposed to be in the thirties so hopefully that will keep whatever wasps are up there fairly docile when I start drilling right above their nest. I'm also going to put a mount for my VHF/UHF antenna up there. That will put it about 35-40 off the ground.

Once I get that done and adjusted I hope to make a QSO with you guys at some point but not using CW yet.
This is wonderful, Stanley!
I have no problem with working you on sideband; in fact, I’d love to! I bet Jo feels the same way.

Being as close as you are to saltwater, you should do very well with DX to places across the pond even under so-so conditions, and when propagation is good the whole world will be possible.
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

Cobster
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:22 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Cobster » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:26 pm

Drat!!! I spent 4 hours trying to catch a ka6lms special event call for the last man standing show! And all I got was "Someone's there? I can't hear him in the mud!

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25600
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:16 pm

Cobster wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:26 pm
Drat!!! I spent 4 hours trying to catch a ka6lms special event call for the last man standing show! And all I got was "Someone's there? I can't hear him in the mud!
QTH?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9518
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:30 pm

Cobster wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:26 pm
Drat!!! I spent 4 hours trying to catch a ka6lms special event call for the last man standing show! And all I got was "Someone's there? I can't hear him in the mud!
Did you use the speech compressor?

It can be overdone, but in marginal conditions, or trying to bust a pileup (and when you know the other station can hear you but not quite copy) it can definitely help.
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

Cobster
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:22 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Cobster » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:41 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:16 pm
Cobster wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:26 pm
Drat!!! I spent 4 hours trying to catch a ka6lms special event call for the last man standing show! And all I got was "Someone's there? I can't hear him in the mud!
QTH?
Honeoye Falls NY

Cobster
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:22 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Cobster » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:43 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:30 pm
Cobster wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:26 pm
Drat!!! I spent 4 hours trying to catch a ka6lms special event call for the last man standing show! And all I got was "Someone's there? I can't hear him in the mud!
Did you use the speech compressor?

It can be overdone, but in marginal conditions, or trying to bust a pileup (and when you know the other station can hear you but not quite copy) it can definitely help.
I'm new to using my Kenwood 480sat My clsim to fame is being a hired gun for contesting and DXing so I'll have to rtfm

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9518
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:10 pm

Cobster wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:43 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:30 pm
Cobster wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:26 pm
Drat!!! I spent 4 hours trying to catch a ka6lms special event call for the last man standing show! And all I got was "Someone's there? I can't hear him in the mud!
Did you use the speech compressor?

It can be overdone, but in marginal conditions, or trying to bust a pileup (and when you know the other station can hear you but not quite copy) it can definitely help.
I'm new to using my Kenwood 480sat My clsim to fame is being a hired gun for contesting and DXing so I'll have to rtfm
Well that’s pretty cool.
More! More!
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

Cobster
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:22 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Cobster » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:54 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:10 pm
Cobster wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:43 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:30 pm
Cobster wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:26 pm
Drat!!! I spent 4 hours trying to catch a ka6lms special event call for the last man standing show! And all I got was "Someone's there? I can't hear him in the mud!
Did you use the speech compressor?

It can be overdone, but in marginal conditions, or trying to bust a pileup (and when you know the other station can hear you but not quite copy) it can definitely help.
I'm new to using my Kenwood 480sat My clsim to fame is being a hired gun for contesting and DXing so I'll have to rtfm
Well that’s pretty cool.
More! More!
Mabe I should have picked a better analaogy? I'm sorry! Ok I have been a ham for years? But never have built a shack of my own when living with Mom abd Dad. So in Rochester NY I am blessed with a few exelent DX and Contest Clubs and having the Antiqe wireless association. These guys a top notch radio operators. So my experince is learning and operating contests and special event stations like field day. I'm an operator using other people's radios and calls: w2rdx, w1aw, w2an, I have used w2fu's contest rig! So I fumble with my own gear and log but my mic time is impressive!

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9518
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:57 am

Cobster wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:54 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:10 pm
Cobster wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:43 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:30 pm
Cobster wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:26 pm
Drat!!! I spent 4 hours trying to catch a ka6lms special event call for the last man standing show! And all I got was "Someone's there? I can't hear him in the mud!
Did you use the speech compressor?

It can be overdone, but in marginal conditions, or trying to bust a pileup (and when you know the other station can hear you but not quite copy) it can definitely help.
I'm new to using my Kenwood 480sat My clsim to fame is being a hired gun for contesting and DXing so I'll have to rtfm
Well that’s pretty cool.
More! More!
Mabe I should have picked a better analaogy? I'm sorry! Ok I have been a ham for years? But never have built a shack of my own when living with Mom abd Dad. So in Rochester NY I am blessed with a few exelent DX and Contest Clubs and having the Antiqe wireless association. These guys a top notch radio operators. So my experince is learning and operating contests and special event stations like field day. I'm an operator using other people's radios and calls: w2rdx, w1aw, w2an, I have used w2fu's contest rig! So I fumble with my own gear and log but my mic time is impressive!

:thumbsup:
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25600
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:43 pm

KA6LMS/2 on 14034 CW

:chili:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9518
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:15 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:43 pm
KA6LMS/2 on 14034 CW

:chili:
:thumbsup:

Busy with school. Haven’t been on for a few days. :(
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25600
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:24 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:15 pm
Jocose wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:43 pm
KA6LMS/2 on 14034 CW

:chili:
:thumbsup:

Busy with school. Haven’t been on for a few days. :(
Set up a portable rig in your desk drawer, call on one of your students and when they start talking that's when you put in an ear bud and call CQ..

the rest is simple.. just smile and nod yer head like you're really listening to the pupil when actually you're making some sweet CW contacts.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9518
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:24 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:15 pm
Jocose wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:43 pm
KA6LMS/2 on 14034 CW

:chili:
:thumbsup:

Busy with school. Haven’t been on for a few days. :(
Set up a portable rig in your desk drawer, call on one of your students and when they start talking that's when you put in an ear bud and call CQ..

the rest is simple.. just smile and nod yer head like you're really listening to the pupil when actually you're making some sweet CW contacts.
Sounds like a plan!

I’m supposed to be retired and only back to teach two courses each term, but ...

One of our writing profs is out for the term (seriously I’ll), so I took his advisees and all his other “service work” so the only remaining full-time creative writing prof (that’s all I teach now :D ) wouldn’t get ridiculously overloaded.

Retirement apparently isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

Post Reply