ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:23 pm

And BOOM! Look what was in my mailbox this afternoon. How awesome is this? And it's from a real Cardinal to boot. Many many many thanks. I will be kicking the CW studying into Warp 9.

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:21 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:23 pm
And BOOM! Look what was in my mailbox this afternoon. How awesome is this? And it's from a real Cardinal to boot. Many many many thanks. I will be kicking the CW studying into Warp 9.

WooHoo!

Great key.
I love mine.
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:32 am

Glue the badge back on, its driving my OCD crazy!

dit dit
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:51 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:32 am

dit dit
Will do. Thanks again. Got my 80 meter dipole up today and I'm exhausted after crawling around on my roof. Also moved my VHF/UHF antenna from the porch rail to the roof peak. Didn't make a bit of difference. Oh well, got the dipole up anyway.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:25 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:51 pm
Jocose wrote:

dit dit
Will do. Thanks again. Got my 80 meter dipole up today and I'm exhausted after crawling around on my roof. Also moved my VHF/UHF antenna from the porch rail to the roof peak. Didn't make a bit of difference. Oh well, got the dipole up anyway.

Height should make a difference.
If the coax is significantly longer, the lack of improvement might be due to loss in the coax.

What kind of coax did you use, Stanley?

Good news about the 80m dipole.
Henrik Ibsen

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:21 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:25 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Jocose wrote:

dit dit

If the coax is significantly longer, the lack of improvement might be due to loss in the coax.

I used RG-58 for my VHF/UHF antenna and it's two lengths with a connector. It's just barely long enough to reach the antenna. For my dipole I used RG-8X.

I only tried the 2 meter on some local repeaters. I could connect with the three I could connect with before but couldn't connect with three others that 30 to 50 miles away (like before). I really didn't expect to connect with those repeaters, lots of pine plantations between me and them in addition to the distance.

What I really put it up on the roof for was Simplex but I haven't really tried that yet, the only other HAMs close enough weren't on the air I thought but I'm going to set up a time to try it out with a buddy that lives about 8 miles south of me and see what happens. I'm not complaining though, I still have three repeaters that I can connect with and that's where most of my new friends are anyway.

I've been listening on HF tonight and picking up a LOT more than I was. I like this new dipole. I found a cool group called "The Friendly Bunch" at 3.919 tonight. They meet there every night at 7PM so I'll be back. Nice guys and very welcoming to a guy new to HF.

Truth is, I'm still a little gun shy about transmitting on HF and I mostly listen. I want to get familiar with normal practices and unwritten procedures before I start transmitting much.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:19 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:21 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
Jocose wrote:

dit dit

I used RG-58 for my VHF/UHF antenna and it's two lengths with a connector. It's just barely long enough to reach the antenna. For my dipole I used RG-8X.

I only tried the 2 meter on some local repeaters. I could connect with the three I could connect with before but couldn't connect with three others that 30 to 50 miles away (like before). I really didn't expect to connect with those repeaters, lots of pine plantations between me and them in addition to the distance.

What I really put it up on the roof for was Simplex but I haven't really tried that yet, the only other HAMs close enough weren't on the air I thought but I'm going to set up a time to try it out with a buddy that lives about 8 miles south of me and see what happens. I'm not complaining though, I still have three repeaters that I can connect with and that's where most of my new friends are anyway.

I've been listening on HF tonight and picking up a LOT more than I was. I like this new dipole. I found a cool group called "The Friendly Bunch" at 3.919 tonight. They meet there every night at 7PM so I'll be back. Nice guys and very welcoming to a guy new to HF.

Truth is, I'm still a little gun shy about transmitting on HF and I mostly listen. I want to get familiar with normal practices and unwritten procedures before I start transmitting much.
RG-58 has a loss of around 6dB/100’ at 144 MHz and nearly 12dB at 440MHz - at 1:1 SWR. Any mismatch makes it worse.
That means the loss from the coax alone at that length with, say, 50w of power from the transmitter on 2m would be to take it down to 12.5w at the antenna and on 440MHz 50w at the transmitter would be down to just over 3w at the antenna - with equal losses in receive strength going from antenna to receiver.

On VHF and most especially UHF, coax losses can be severe. If your run is long, you should use an RG-8 type (9914) coax or better and try to situate the antenna to keep the feedline as short as possible while still getting height. I’m running about 25’ of RG-58 to my 2m vertical, and I just talked myself into changing it out this summer. It was a temporary installation 25 years ago. 😁

When I put up my 6m antenna last summer, I ran about 75’ of 9914 to it.

On HF, with a resonant antenna, coax loss is not as much of an issue - but I use an open wire feedline to my non-resonant, multiband doublet. The SWR on that type of antenna is all over the place and no coax would be able to handle it satisfactorily.

Don’t be afraid to transmit on HF. If you tell people you contact that you just passed your General and you’re new to HF, they will be very welcoming and wanting to help. We were all new once. Few people on the HF bands are more welcome than a new ham. Honest!
Henrik Ibsen

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:44 am

So there I was sitting at my desk, trying to get some work done when the morning light through the window seemed to make the bug paddles glow ...

(I'm easily distracted.)
Henrik Ibsen

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:30 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:19 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:21 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
Jocose wrote:

dit dit

RG-58 has a loss of around 6dB/100’ at 144 MHz and nearly 12dB at 440MHz - at 1:1 SWR. Any mismatch makes it worse.
That means the loss from the coax alone at that length with, say, 50w of power from the transmitter on 2m would be to take it down to 12.5w at the antenna and on 440MHz 50w at the transmitter would be down to just over 3w at the antenna - with equal losses in receive strength going from antenna to receiver.

On VHF and most especially UHF, coax losses can be severe. If your run is long, you should use an RG-8 type (9914) coax or better and try to situate the antenna to keep the feedline as short as possible while still getting height. I’m running about 25’ of RG-58 to my 2m vertical, and I just talked myself into changing it out this summer. It was a temporary installation 25 years ago. 😁

On HF, with a resonant antenna, coax loss is not as much of an issue - but I use an open wire feedline to my non-resonant, multiband doublet. The SWR on that type of antenna is all over the place and no coax would be able to handle it satisfactorily.

Don’t be afraid to transmit on HF. If you tell people you contact that you just passed your General and you’re new to HF, they will be very welcoming and wanting to help. We were all new once. Few people on the HF bands are more welcome than a new ham. Honest!
Thanks. I moved my antenna from my roof back down to my porch rail today. It's further away from the covered part of the porch and I mounted on a PVC pipe, so it's base is about 15' now. Working great again but I'm still going to replace the RG58 pieced together coax with LMR-400. I ordered 50' feet of it. I'm starting to think this pastime might possibly end up being slightly expensive. Thanks for the advice and information.

I've been checking in with some talk groups on 80 meters the last few days. I'm also checking in with the Coastal Carolina Emergency Net as a guest. Once I have logged 10 check ins I'll be a member of it.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:26 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:30 pm

[/quote]

Thanks. I moved my antenna from my roof back down to my porch rail today. It's further away from the covered part of the porch and I mounted on a PVC pipe, so it's base is about 15' now. Working great again but I'm still going to replace the RG58 pieced together coax with LMR-400. I ordered 50' feet of it. I'm starting to think this pastime might possibly end up being slightly expensive. Thanks for the advice and information.

I've been checking in with some talk groups on 80 meters the last few days. I'm also checking in with the Coastal Carolina Emergency Net as a guest. Once I have logged 10 check ins I'll be a member of it.
[/quote]

All very cool.
Henrik Ibsen

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:09 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:44 am
So there I was sitting at my desk, trying to get some work done when the morning light through the window seemed to make the bug paddles glow ...

(I'm easily distracted.)
:pipe2:

Beautiful picture, Steve.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:49 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:09 pm
durangopipe wrote:

(I'm easily distracted.)

Thanks, Jo.
I’m taking a CPS break for awhile.

Please keep in touch by email.
Henrik Ibsen

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:00 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:49 pm
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

(I'm easily distracted.)

Thanks, Jo.

Breaks are a good thing around here sometimes. I'll look for you on the air too.
dit dit

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:03 am

Jocose wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:00 am
durangopipe wrote:
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

(I'm easily distracted.)

Thanks, Jo.

Breaks are a good thing around here sometimes. I'll look for you on the air too.
dit dit
Maybe this will lure Durango back.....look at what I just ordered!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vibroplex-Mode ... 0227.m3827

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:03 am
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

(I'm easily distracted.)

Thanks, Jo.

dit dit

It worked, Stanley!
Great bug. Enjoy it.

It will take practice, but once you get the hang of it, it will stay with you forever - sort of like riding a bicycle. :D

(I am going to stay away from other threads for awhile. Maybe until Covid is history.)
Henrik Ibsen

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:56 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

(I'm easily distracted.)

Thanks, Jo.

dit dit

It worked, Stanley!
Great bug. Enjoy it.

It will take practice, but once you get the hang of it, it will stay with you forever - sort of like riding a bicycle. :D

(I am going to stay away from other threads for awhile. Maybe until Covid is history.)
Nice Bug, Stan! (and good plan to get durangopipe back too!)

I recently picked up a "new in the box" 1962 Vibroplex making it a second "NIB" bug made in the sixties.

Yours looks like a 1952, great looking bug, congrats.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:38 am

Jocose wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:56 am
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

(I'm easily distracted.)

Thanks, Jo.

dit dit

It worked, Stanley!
Great bug. Enjoy it.

Nice Bug, Stan! (and good plan to get durangopipe back too!)

I recently picked up a "new in the box" 1962 Vibroplex making it a second "NIB" bug made in the sixties.

Yours looks like a 1952, great looking bug, congrats.
I'm still struggling with CW but I'll get there. Last night a local Ham (Gary Faust N4PIR) gave a presentation at our club meeting on POTA. I really enjoyed learning about that. I have had a QSO with a a guy doing that from a park in Tennessee but I didn't really know what it was, I just checked in with him. Now that I have a better understanding I want to learn more about it.

Gary brought some of his equipment that he uses. He is mainly a QRP CW guy. The coolest thing was an Elecraft KX2 Transceiver. That thing was in a case smaller than a lunch box along with a lithium ion battery that would run it for up to 8 hours and a dipole, all in that one little case that weighed next to nothing. He brought some other set ups and some other antennas he uses but I really was impressed with that tiny little KX2 set up.

As I learn a little at the time about Ham radio I am starting to develop interests in certain areas and this POTA thing really sounds cool. We've got plenty of parks, National Forests and Wildlife refuges around here and at some point in the future I'd like to give being an activator a shot. In the meantime I'll be a hunter. You guys probably are already doing it but it's new to me and I'm wanting to learn more about it. I've already checked out the website.

Also, living in hurricane country I've been wondering about a good back up for my base station in the event of a real disaster such as a Cat 4 or 5 storm that could knock out power for 2 to 4 weeks. I think a set up like that KX2 with a solar panel to charge the batteries would be a pretty good investment.

Anyway, good to hear from you Durango.

P.S. I now have Jocose's Bencher, a J-38 in the straight key category and will have this Red Bug soon, so now I HAVE to step up my game as far as CW goes. Y'all have a Blessed day.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:14 am

Back in the day ...

I used to pack/climb with this little kit-built radio with an internal 9v battery:

With this antenna:

Wire antennas wouldn’t work because once you get above around 11,500’ here, there are no trees (not as big a deal as it sounds - if I drove to the top of a pass before hiking I’d likely already be at 11,000 before I started climbing).

I’d throw them in a backpack and carry them up to a summit. The radio put out about 3w, but it was amazing what I could work on 20m with that rig from up high. I almost always got some DX.

That was long before POTA or SOTA existed. Before Elecraft, too. :D

SOTA and POTA, and just operating portable, are a hoot and CW is definitely the way to go for that.
Henrik Ibsen

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:39 am

It snowed last night and it is melting now.
The ground is wet, the nearby power poles have swollen, power line grounds are good and there's zero noise.

YB8UTI (Indonesia) is coming in at S- 3 on 40m on my vertical.
I need YB8 on 40m, but he's only answering Chinese stations because he's working the WAPC contest. :(
Henrik Ibsen

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:14 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:39 am
It snowed last night and it is melting now.
The ground is wet, the nearby power poles have swollen, power line grounds are good and there's zero noise.

YB8UTI (Indonesia) is coming in at S- 3 on 40m on my vertical.
I need YB8 on 40m, but he's only answering Chinese stations because he's working the WAPC contest. :(
I hope you make contact with him. I've been POTA hunting all morning. Fun but only a few QSO contacts made West of the Mississippi River. The most distant was NG9B in Wisconsin. Had a good time though.