ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:41 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:59 pm
It's almost 9:00 here in NC and 20 meters is still wide open. Worked a guy in Western France a few minutes ago. This is FUN!
NICE! I TOLD YOU TOU ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO GET SOME GREAT DX FROM UR QTH!

GLad to hear you're making some nice QSO's!

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:39 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:41 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:59 pm
It's almost 9:00 here in NC and 20 meters is still wide open. Worked a guy in Western France a few minutes ago. This is FUN!
NICE! I TOLD YOU TOU ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO GET SOME GREAT DX FROM UR QTH!

GLad to hear you're making some nice QSO's!

:joy:
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sat May 01, 2021 3:15 pm

V73NS - Roi-Namur on Kwajalein, Marshall Isls and NB6GC - USS Hornet in Alameda, CA; both on 17m.

Both very weak with QSB, S-0 and no trace on the band scope, but my noise is very low today and they did a good job of digging me out. I didn't have Marshall Isls.on 17m. We exchanged 119 signal reports. :D
Henrik Ibsen

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sat May 01, 2021 3:38 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:15 pm
V73NS - Roi-Namur on Kwajalein, Marshall Isls and NB6GC - USS Hornet in Alameda, CA; both on 17m.

Both very weak with QSB, S-0 and no trace on the band scope, but my noise is very low today and they did a good job of digging me out. I didn't have Marshall Isls.on 17m. We exchanged 119 signal reports. :D
That is cool. I hope to get some Pacific QSO's someday but I may have to wait until I can send and receive CW. Best I could do today on 17 meters was a guy in Arizona and a guy in Oregon, W7RAT in Portland. He's been a Ham for sixty years so you and Jocose might know him. He has some much better equipment than I do which is why I was able to make the contact. That was this morning and it's 5:37 here now so I'm going to see if the bands have improved any.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sat May 01, 2021 4:15 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:38 pm
durangopipe wrote:

That is cool. I hope to get some Pacific QSO's someday but I may have to wait until I can send and receive CW. Best I could do today on 17 meters was a guy in Arizona and a guy in Oregon, W7RAT in Portland. He's been a Ham for sixty years so you and Jocose might know him. He has some much better equipment than I do which is why I was able to make the contact. That was this morning and it's 5:37 here now so I'm going to see if the bands have improved any.
W7RAT and I have worked. That’s a hard call to forget. :D

The transmitter in his photo at summer camp - it’s a B&W 5100B. I had one in my shack at home in high school. I LOVED that radio.
Henrik Ibsen

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sun May 02, 2021 6:39 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:15 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

The transmitter in his photo at summer camp - it’s a B&W 5100B. I had one in my shack at home in high school. I LOVED that radio.
I had a couple of DX QSO's yesterday evening, one in France and one in Trinidad/Tobago. There were a bunch of QSO parties last night and I logged in with four of them.

Did that transmitter have tubes? It looks huge. I am fascinated by the old transmitters/receivers especially the old military equipment and even more especially the spy radios that used crystals.

I've watched some youtube videos and there is one with a former USN submarine communication officer (WA6YOU Ron Payne) giving a presentation on CW. He showed the group a Cold War transceiver with a built in key that was found buried in a cache under the Berlin Wall after it was torn down. It was in mint/pristine condition. Really cool.

Here's the video. It's kind of long, about 40 minutes so maybe you can watch it after you finish grading your papers, if you haven't already seen it. It's mostly about CW and various keys.

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 02, 2021 9:56 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:39 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:15 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

I had a couple of DX QSO's yesterday evening, one in France and one in Trinidad/Tobago. There were a bunch of QSO parties last night and I logged in with four of them.

Did that transmitter have tubes? It looks huge. I am fascinated by the old transmitters/receivers especially the old military equipment and even more especially the spy radios that used crystals.

I've watched some youtube videos and there is one with a former USN submarine communication officer (WA6YOU Ron Payne) giving a presentation on CW. He showed the group a Cold War transceiver with a built in key that was found buried in a cache under the Berlin Wall after it was torn down. It was in mint/pristine condition. Really cool.

Here's the video. It's kind of long, about 40 minutes so maybe you can watch it after you finish grading your papers, if you haven't already seen it. It's mostly about CW and various keys.

Great on France and T&T, Stan!

Yes, the B&W 5100B was an all tube (no solid state devices) AM and CW transmitter (an external sideband generator was available, but I didn’t have it - and I didn’t do much phone anyway) with a pair of 6146 tubes for finals and another pair of 6146s in the AM modulator. It ran at 180w DC input for about 100w CW output. It was built like a tank and was one of the best AM ham rigs ever made commercially. I’m not sure how much it weighed, but it was pushing 100lbs!

This is the rig with its SSB accessory:

And, yes, I’ve seen the video before. It’s fun to watch. The ham in it (WA6YOU) is a bit of a showman, and his comments are sometimes tongue in cheek - not gospel.
Henrik Ibsen

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 02, 2021 3:28 pm

I finally got LZ1072BG - tried last week and never got him.

Listened today for almost an hour, called when his signal built - eventually he got up to S-0 to S-3 with QSB, he first called me back as W9AZ - but finally got it right after several repeats.

He dug me out!
Bless him.

Diploma All Saints, Bulgaria 2021

I need to work another All Saints special event station (the station changes every month) to qualify for the certificate, but now it looks likely I'll get it done by December.

:D
Henrik Ibsen

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sun May 02, 2021 3:34 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:28 pm

Listened today for almost an hour, called when his signal built - eventually he got up to S-0 to S-3 with QSB, he first called me back as W9AZ - but finally got it right after several repeats.

He dug me out!
Bless him.

I need to work another All Saints special event station (the station changes every month) to qualify for the certificate, but now it looks likely I'll get it done by December.

Congratulations!

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 02, 2021 4:07 pm

Turned off the amp thinking I'd go see what my wife is up to in the garden ...
but heard SX200JAO in Central Macedonia.

Worked him with 85w.

Might stay in the shack a little longer.

Henrik Ibsen

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sun May 02, 2021 5:15 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:07 pm

Worked him with 85w.

That happens to me, I can't stop. I've been getting great signals from all over this evening, Europe, Suriname, and others but I can't get through the traffic. Having fun anyway listening. Some of those guys calling in must have some huge antennas and amps, they almost blow me out of my chair sometimes.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 02, 2021 6:19 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:15 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:07 pm

Worked him with 85w.

That happens to me, I can't stop. I've been getting great signals from all over this evening, Europe, Suriname, and others but I can't get through the traffic. Having fun anyway listening. Some of those guys calling in must have some huge antennas and amps, they almost blow me out of my chair sometimes.
Especially on 20m - often big antennas and lots of power.
But you can still get through with 100w and a wire, sometimes, with practice and good timing. Good luck!
Henrik Ibsen

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon May 03, 2021 3:37 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:34 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:28 pm

He dug me out!
Bless him.

Congratulations!

:joy: :chili:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon May 03, 2021 3:40 pm

Digi QSL card

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon May 03, 2021 4:31 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:40 pm

Digi QSL card
Very cool!
Henrik Ibsen

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue May 04, 2021 6:50 am

You never know when you might need to send CW while flying a P-51 Mustang in a dogfight, so I offered 65.00 for this and they accepted my offer.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue May 04, 2021 3:42 pm

QSO's in Russia, Poland and Suriname in about 10 minutes on 20 meters. It's wide open right now. Crazy.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:42 pm
QSO's in Russia, Poland and Suriname in about 10 minutes on 20 meters. It's wide open right now. Crazy.
:chili: :chili: :chili:

Fantastic!
Henrik Ibsen

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:50 am
You never know when you might need to send CW while flying a P-51 Mustang in a dogfight, so I offered 65.00 for this and they accepted my offer.

Those are cool.
Henrik Ibsen

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue May 04, 2021 7:03 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:50 am

Those are cool.
-- .- -.-- -.. .- -.--