ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25743
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Tue May 04, 2021 7:05 pm

What are the odds of searching for and finding 2 rare bugs.... and then finding out they have sequential serial numbers?

I dunno but I'm buying a lotto ticket.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3462
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:44 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:03 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:50 am
You never know when you might need to send CW while flying a P-51 Mustang in a dogfight, so I offered 65.00 for this and they accepted my offer.

Image

Image




Those are cool.
-- .- -.-- -.. .- -.--
_._. .. _. _._. _ _ _ _.. . _ _ ._ _._ _ _ _ _
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3462
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:48 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:05 pm
What are the odds of searching for and finding 2 rare bugs.... and then finding out they have sequential serial numbers?

I dunno but I'm buying a lotto ticket.
Cool and that is a sign that you are lucky.

And off topic but speaking of lotto tickets, a lady in the tiny town of Bath NC (pop. around 250) which is `12 miles east of me, bought a 10.00 scratch off ticket and won a million dollar prize the other day. Of course after taking the lump sum and taxes she only got 472,000.00 but I imagine she is still pretty pleased.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9598
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 04, 2021 11:01 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:48 pm
Jocose wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:05 pm
What are the odds of searching for and finding 2 rare bugs.... and then finding out they have sequential serial numbers?

I dunno but I'm buying a lotto ticket.
Cool and that is a sign that you are lucky.

And off topic but speaking of lotto tickets, a lady in the tiny town of Bath NC (pop. around 250) which is `12 miles east of me, bought a 10.00 scratch off ticket and won a million dollar prize the other day. Of course after taking the lump sum and taxes she only got 472,000.00 but I imagine she is still pretty pleased.
Can’t believe I missed this.
Photos!
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25743
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Fri May 07, 2021 10:11 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:01 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:48 pm
Jocose wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:05 pm
What are the odds of searching for and finding 2 rare bugs.... and then finding out they have sequential serial numbers?

I dunno but I'm buying a lotto ticket.
Cool and that is a sign that you are lucky.

And off topic but speaking of lotto tickets, a lady in the tiny town of Bath NC (pop. around 250) which is `12 miles east of me, bought a 10.00 scratch off ticket and won a million dollar prize the other day. Of course after taking the lump sum and taxes she only got 472,000.00 but I imagine she is still pretty pleased.
Can’t believe I missed this.
Photos!
+1

I did a quick google search about the lucky winner but no pics showed up, her name is Ola Gurganus, she must be very happy.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9598
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 07, 2021 11:50 am

What are the odds of searching for and finding 2 rare bugs.... and then finding out they have sequential serial numbers?
Pics of the bugs, Jo! :D
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25743
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Fri May 07, 2021 12:45 pm

Image


Image

Zephyrs are a somewhat rare bug.

My search for one led to these two from random places... 1956 Vibroplex Zephyr with sequential serial #'s

Both are wonderful bugs and send very well.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9598
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 07, 2021 2:32 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:45 pm
Image


Image

Zephyrs are a somewhat rare bug.

My search for one led to these two from random places... 1956 Vibroplex Zephyr with sequential serial #'s

Both are wonderful bugs and send very well.
Uncommon, uncommonly beautiful, and an uncommonly terrific size.
Great score, Jo!

I’ve never seen one in the flesh.
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

User avatar
gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Posts: 7963
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by gravel » Fri May 07, 2021 2:58 pm

This is one of my favorite threads.

User avatar
JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Posts: 27235
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by JimVH » Fri May 07, 2021 3:19 pm

gravel wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:58 pm
This is one of my favorite threads.
Mine, too, and I know nothing about any of it.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3462
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:07 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:32 pm
Jocose wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:45 pm
Image


Image

Zephyrs are a somewhat rare bug.

My search for one led to these two from random places... 1956 Vibroplex Zephyr with sequential serial #'s

Both are wonderful bugs and send very well.
Uncommon, uncommonly beautiful, and an uncommonly terrific size.
Great score, Jo!

I’ve never seen one in the flesh.
I am bug ignorant but they are beautiful machines! Congratulations!
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3462
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:22 pm

Today I drove up to Edenton to visit with a Ham I met on the radio. He wanted to sell me a West Mountain Radio RIGblaster and educate me on digital stuff. He's a great guy, a vet and I spent a few hours taking notes. he also gave me all cables and some sort of port box for my laptop. The device and the two hours of instruction plus all the accessory cables were well worth what I paid for it, a more than fair price.

Here it is:

Image


But then before I left, he threw in something else. A Uniden Tempo Model 2020 Transceiver alone with a microphone. He said he thought I'd enjoy learning to really tune an HF rig and this one is a hybrid with some tubes in it and an internal power supply. I'll need to buy an antenna tuner for it and he showed me what I needed to order. The price of this was zero. Nothing. Free. A gift. He told me to pass it along when I didn't need it anymore like he did for me and like the guy that gave it to him did for him. Wow.


Image

It's pretty heavy and big but damn does it look cool sitting here on my work station desk. I'm going to have to expand pretty soon.

Image
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9598
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 07, 2021 4:48 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:22 pm
Today I drove up to Edenton to visit with a Ham I met on the radio. He wanted to sell me a West Mountain Radio RIGblaster and educate me on digital stuff. He's a great guy, a vet and I spent a few hours taking notes. he also gave me all cables and some sort of port box for my laptop. The device and the two hours of instruction plus all the accessory cables were well worth what I paid for it, a more than fair price.

Here it is:

Image


But then before I left, he threw in something else. A Uniden Tempo Model 2020 Transceiver alone with a microphone. He said he thought I'd enjoy learning to really tune an HF rig and this one is a hybrid with some tubes in it and an internal power supply. I'll need to buy an antenna tuner for it and he showed me what I needed to order. The price of this was zero. Nothing. Free. A gift. He told me to pass it along when I didn't need it anymore like he did for me and like the guy that gave it to him did for him. Wow.


Image

It's pretty heavy and big but damn does it look cool sitting here on my work station desk. I'm going to have to expand pretty soon.

Image
I love ham radio!
What a great guy, and a wonderful experience for you.

Hybrid rigs of that vintage are great radios - best of all, instead of using now nearly impossible to get “sweep tubes” in the final (like the Yaesu FT-101 did), it uses a pair of easy to obtain 6146B tubes, should you ever need to replace them.

I’m sure you got lots of good advice from him, but I’ll repeat: if, for some reason you need/decide to open it up be very careful. There are lethal voltages inside.
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3462
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Fri May 07, 2021 5:20 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:48 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:22 pm
Today I drove up to Edenton to visit with a Ham I met on the radio. He wanted to sell me a West Mountain Radio RIGblaster and educate me on digital stuff. He's a great guy, a vet and I spent a few hours taking notes. he also gave me all cables and some sort of port box for my laptop. The device and the two hours of instruction plus all the accessory cables were well worth what I paid for it, a more than fair price.

Here it is:

Image


But then before I left, he threw in something else. A Uniden Tempo Model 2020 Transceiver alone with a microphone. He said he thought I'd enjoy learning to really tune an HF rig and this one is a hybrid with some tubes in it and an internal power supply. I'll need to buy an antenna tuner for it and he showed me what I needed to order. The price of this was zero. Nothing. Free. A gift. He told me to pass it along when I didn't need it anymore like he did for me and like the guy that gave it to him did for him. Wow.


Image

It's pretty heavy and big but damn does it look cool sitting here on my work station desk. I'm going to have to expand pretty soon.

Image
I love ham radio!
What a great guy, and a wonderful experience for you.

Hybrid rigs of that vintage are great radios - best of all, instead of using now nearly impossible to get “sweep tubes” in the final (like the Yaesu FT-101 did), it uses a pair of easy to obtain 6146B tubes, should you ever need to replace them.

I’m sure you got lots of good advice from him, but I’ll repeat: if, for some reason you need/decide to open it up be very careful. There are lethal voltages inside.
Thanks. I have been amazed at the generosity of Hams for the Bencher Key Jocose gave me to a linear power supply and bird dummy load (plus other stuff) another Ham gave me to this. But the best has been the instruction and encouragement and just general helpfulness from guys I have met like you, Jocose, other guys on the radio and K4YF, my Elmer who I have never seen in person. The civility and manners I have heard on the air from almost every Ham has also surprised me a little although I don't know why. I'm looking forward to when I can pass on some of this equipment to other new Hams and pay it forward.

P.S. You can bet the bank on the fact that I will not be opening up this transceiver. The guy that gave it to me also gave me the name and number of a very good repairman in S.C. if I ever need it or anything repaired.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3462
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:52 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:19 pm
gravel wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:58 pm
This is one of my favorite threads.
Mine, too, and I know nothing about any of it.
This thread is what made me pull the trigger and get involved in this after decades of "thinking about it". Glad I did. Y'all should look into it. It's a great hobby, especially for geezers like me. Plus you get to buy cool stuff and talk to cool people on the radio. It's fun.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9598
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 07, 2021 10:31 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:52 pm
JimVH wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:19 pm
gravel wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:58 pm
This is one of my favorite threads.
Mine, too, and I know nothing about any of it.
This thread is what made me pull the trigger and get involved in this after decades of "thinking about it". Glad I did. Y'all should look into it. It's a great hobby, especially for geezers like me. Plus you get to buy cool stuff and talk to cool people on the radio. It's fun.
Next year it will be 60 years of hamming for me.
It never gets old.

And the people are always the best.

My Elmer ...

Image

Jim Scott, W9KV (silent key)

I miss him.
He was my best friend.
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25743
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Mon May 10, 2021 1:41 am

Image

Exchanged 539's

:chili:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3462
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:57 am

Jocose wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:41 am
Image

Exchanged 539's

:chili:
That is cool. Is it easier to make contacts using CW? My puny antenna and 100 watts makes it hard for me to get through the pile ups when certain DX stations are on. There was a guy in Raratonga coming in crystal clear on 15 meters the other day but I couldn't get through all the guys with big antennas and amplifiers. I bought a RIGblaster last week and I've downloaded the software so I can try FT8 and some other digital stuff but truthfully, that doesn't look like much fun to me.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25743
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Mon May 10, 2021 12:00 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:57 am
Jocose wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:41 am
Image

Exchanged 539's

:chili:
That is cool. Is it easier to make contacts using CW? My puny antenna and 100 watts makes it hard for me to get through the pile ups when certain DX stations are on. There was a guy in Raratonga coming in crystal clear on 15 meters the other day but I couldn't get through all the guys with big antennas and amplifiers. I bought a RIGblaster last week and I've downloaded the software so I can try FT8 and some other digital stuff but truthfully, that doesn't look like much fun to me.
I wouldn't say that it's "easier" but I know that CW would sometimes be the only way to make a contact. The signal to noise ratio makes it easier especially when conditions are bad.

CW takes much less power to send as well. I've made contacts sometimes over several thousands of miles with 10 watts or less and all of of the country on 5 watts or less.

The most power I've used is around 85 watts, which can be a challenge chasing DX when competing with the big guns running 1k watts but satisfying when you get him in the log.

Hope to see you on the bands soon!

GL 73
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9598
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Mon May 10, 2021 1:55 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:00 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:57 am
Jocose wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:41 am
Image

Exchanged 539's

:chili:
That is cool. Is it easier to make contacts using CW? My puny antenna and 100 watts makes it hard for me to get through the pile ups when certain DX stations are on. There was a guy in Raratonga coming in crystal clear on 15 meters the other day but I couldn't get through all the guys with big antennas and amplifiers. I bought a RIGblaster last week and I've downloaded the software so I can try FT8 and some other digital stuff but truthfully, that doesn't look like much fun to me.
I wouldn't say that it's "easier" but I know that CW would sometimes be the only way to make a contact. The signal to noise ratio makes it easier especially when conditions are bad.

CW takes much less power to send as well. I've made contacts sometimes over several thousands of miles with 10 watts or less and all of of the country on 5 watts or less.

The most power I've used is around 85 watts, which can be a challenge chasing DX when competing with the big guns running 1k watts but satisfying when you get him in the log.

Hope to see you on the bands soon!

GL 73
I believe that it is easier for a low power CW station to get through a pileup. For one thing, CW pileups tend to be a bit less unruly! For another, especially if the DX is working split - but also simplex, it’s easier for the DX station to hear a weak station on a slightly different frequency separating it from the stronger signals and discerning the weaker signal by tone and not having to understand words. Some DX operators make it a point to pull the weaker stations out of the pileup. (Bless ‘em.)

I made DXCC on CW and phone around 30 years ago with “100w and a wire.” DXCC came a lot more easily on CW than phone for me.

Regarding digital modes ...

I was an early adopter of soundcard digital modes. I worked 2m packet early on. Before the internet there were DX packet spots available for locating DX activity and band openings. A nearby super, multi-multi contest station (AA6TT) supported packet access to them. I built an interface between my old Yaesu FT-101 and a Windows 95 machine that I worked mostly PSK 31 with back then but also a few other modes then supported by FL Digi. I also did a little SSTV with other software. But I found that most of the fun was simply getting it all working and making a few contacts. The contacts themselves quickly bored me. I simply didn’t find it to be any fun after a very short while. The fun was in making the hardware and getting the radio and the computer to talk to each other. After that, Meh.

Weak signal modes like FT8 are great for making DX contacts when conditions are poor, and it allows small stations to work DX more easily, but again, the average QSO isn’t much of a QSO. Many hams love digital modes. I’m no longer one of them.
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

Post Reply