ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Mon May 10, 2021 1:56 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:41 am

Exchanged 539's

:chili:
:chili: :chili: :chili: :chili:

And I’ll throw in ...

:dancingpie:

Nice, Jo!
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon May 10, 2021 3:14 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:55 pm
Jocose wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:00 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:57 am
Jocose wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:41 am

Exchanged 539's

That is cool. Is it easier to make contacts using CW? My puny antenna and 100 watts makes it hard for me to get through the pile ups when certain DX stations are on. There was a guy in Raratonga coming in crystal clear on 15 meters the other day but I couldn't get through all the guys with big antennas and amplifiers. I bought a RIGblaster last week and I've downloaded the software so I can try FT8 and some other digital stuff but truthfully, that doesn't look like much fun to me.
I wouldn't say that it's "easier" but I know that CW would sometimes be the only way to make a contact. The signal to noise ratio makes it easier especially when conditions are bad.

CW takes much less power to send as well. I've made contacts sometimes over several thousands of miles with 10 watts or less and all of of the country on 5 watts or less.

The most power I've used is around 85 watts, which can be a challenge chasing DX when competing with the big guns running 1k watts but satisfying when you get him in the log.

Hope to see you on the bands soon!

GL 73
I believe that it is easier for a low power CW station to get through a pileup. For one thing, CW pileups tend to be a bit less unruly! For another, especially if the DX is working split - but also simplex, it’s easier for the DX station to hear a weak station on a slightly different frequency separating it from the stronger signals and discerning the weaker signal by tone and not having to understand words. Some DX operators make it a point to pull the weaker stations out of the pileup. (Bless ‘em.)

I made DXCC on CW and phone around 30 years ago with “100w and a wire.” DXCC came a lot more easily on CW than phone for me.

Regarding digital modes ...

I was an early adopter of soundcard digital modes. I worked 2m packet early on. Before the internet there were DX packet spots available for locating DX activity and band openings. A nearby super, multi-multi contest station (AA6TT) supported packet access to them. I built an interface between my old Yaesu FT-101 and a Windows 95 machine that I worked mostly PSK 31 with back then but also a few other modes then supported by FL Digi. I also did a little SSTV with other software. But I found that most of the fun was simply getting it all working and making a few contacts. The contacts themselves quickly bored me. I simply didn’t find it to be any fun after a very short while. The fun was in making the hardware and getting the radio and the computer to talk to each other. After that, Meh.

Weak signal modes like FT8 are great for making DX contacts when conditions are poor, and it allows small stations to work DX more easily, but again, the average QSO isn’t much of a QSO. Many hams love digital modes. I’m no longer one of them.
I am going to learn how to use FT8 and some of the other digital modes but it just doesn't seem like it would be that much fun. Who knows though, I may love it when I get into it. In the meantime, I'm still plugging away at learning Morse Code.

I got this delivered today, my new J-37 key mounted on a leg band. Now if only I had a P-51 Mustang.......

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon May 10, 2021 9:39 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:14 pm
I got this delivered today, my new J-37 key mounted on a leg band. Now if only I had a P-51 Mustang.......

That would be a great key for portable operating (even without the P-51 :D ).
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:05 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:39 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:14 pm

That would be a great key for portable operating (even without the P-51 :D ).
It would be cool on a motorcycle if you were left handed but it would be even better in a recliner.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed May 19, 2021 8:51 am

I haven't had much time to get on the air but last time I did I worked HC5AI, Pablo down in Ecuador.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed May 19, 2021 8:58 am

W6SFM Bug Roundup 5:00 PM Friday to 5:00 PM Sunday Pacific Time Local
(00:00 UTC through 00:00 UTC )

QSO Exchange: Name, QTH, RST, plus your Bug manufacturer, model, age and any features or history about it.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 19, 2021 4:39 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:58 am
W6SFM Bug Roundup 5:00 PM Friday to 5:00 PM Sunday Pacific Time Local
(00:00 UTC through 00:00 UTC )

QSO Exchange: Name, QTH, RST, plus your Bug manufacturer, model, age and any features or history about it.
Thanks for the heads-up, Jo.
I’ll try to join in with my gorgeous ‘64 Blue Racer.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 19, 2021 4:41 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:51 am

I haven't had much time to get on the air but last time I did I worked HC5AI, Pablo down in Ecuador.
Sweet.
Looks like the flux is finally up a bit after a few weeks in the doldrums.

I’ve worked a little DX but haven’t been on the air as much as I’d like.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Wed May 19, 2021 5:18 pm

A lady in the next county over bought a house and there was a lot of old radio equipment in it. She gave it to our club and we went over yesterday and brought back a truckload and a van load. Lots of cool old stuff. A Hallicrafter Receiver and a transmitter, a reel to reel tape deck, a bunch of volt meters, frequency counters, oscilloscopes and other stuff. It's stored in my garage downstairs until Field Day when we will sell it and raise money for the club. Some of this stuff is so old that the housing for it is wood. Here's a few photos but there is lots more stuff.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed May 19, 2021 6:05 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:18 pm
A lady in the next county over bought a house and there was a lot of old radio equipment in it. She gave it to our club and we went over yesterday and brought back a truckload and a van load. Lots of cool old stuff. A Hallicrafter Receiver and a transmitter, a reel to reel tape deck, a bunch of volt meters, frequency counters, oscilloscopes and other stuff. It's stored in my garage downstairs until Field Day when we will sell it and raise money for the club. Some of this stuff is so old that the housing for it is wood. Here's a few photos but there is lots more stuff.

:cheese:

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 19, 2021 6:12 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 6:05 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:18 pm

:cheese:
Neat stuff!

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 19, 2021 7:45 pm

And now, suddenly, the solar flux is 65??

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed May 19, 2021 7:55 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:45 pm
And now, suddenly, the solar flux is 65??
IKR? Calling CQ and nada.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu May 20, 2021 9:50 am

I'm way behind on QSL cards and LoTW uploads.

Uploaded 80+ qso's, what a chore.

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Fri May 21, 2021 4:36 pm

Mrs FredS makes these bracelets to sell at her friends shop in town. Granddaughter 1 helped her make some last week. She doesn't know morse code of course (she not a geek after all), but I was surprised to hear that a 10 year old girl knows what it is and how it works.

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 21, 2021 8:47 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 4:36 pm
Mrs FredS makes these bracelets to sell at her friends shop in town. Granddaughter 1 helped her make some last week. She doesn't know morse code of course (she not a geek after all), but I was surprised to hear that a 10 year old girl knows what it is and how it works.

That’s pretty cool.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri May 21, 2021 8:48 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 4:36 pm

:taco:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon May 24, 2021 11:06 am

I'm certainly no speed demon but I have had a few 23- 25 WPM bug QSO's lately. I take notes down on paper before I instantly forget stuff they send while I'm rying to copy. :lol:

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon May 24, 2021 3:11 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:06 am
I'm certainly no speed demon but I have had a few 23- 25 WPM bug QSO's lately. I take notes down on paper before I instantly forget stuff they send while I'm rying to copy. :lol:
You da man, Jo.
That’s fantastic.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon May 24, 2021 4:29 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:06 am
Sounds speedy to me. I'm still trying to pick out individual letters when I listen in on CW much less words. It will come to me at some point but not yet. A QSO with you and Durango is on my bucket list but y'all may have to take a nap while I'm sending.