ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Mon May 24, 2021 7:31 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:29 pm
Jocose wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:06 am
I'm certainly no speed demon but I have had a few 23- 25 WPM bug QSO's lately. I take notes down on paper before I instantly forget stuff they send while I'm rying to copy. :lol:
Sounds speedy to me. I'm still trying to pick out individual letters when I listen in on CW much less words. It will come to me at some point but not yet. A QSO with you and Durango is on my bucket list but y'all may have to take a nap while I'm sending.
Looking forward to a CW QSO as well.

It will help to get on the air as soon as possible, dont be worried about speed. I highly recommend SKCC.

I first got on the air with the group at 3 wpm and I always asked for QRS and repeats and all the SKCC CW ops obliged and made it fun. They have a Sked page which makes CW contacts easy.

https://sked.skccgroup.com/

Also a great beginner info page here..

https://www.skccgroup.com/member_servic ... rs_corner/
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon May 24, 2021 7:39 pm

Thanks Jocose! Will do.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue May 25, 2021 10:18 pm

20 m has had some nice openings this evening. European Russia answered my CQ a few mins ago. :chili:

Also have had a few QSO's on 6m with some local guys the last couple of days.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Wed May 26, 2021 9:02 am

Jocose wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:18 pm
20 m has had some nice openings this evening. European Russia answered my CQ a few mins ago. :chili:

Cool. I had a QSO with a guy in Russia last night (Toly) on 20 meters. Just a voice QSO but it was pretty cool to get through the pile up to him. I only am running 100 watts and using a wire antenna so the guys with the amplifiers and beam antennas were making it difficult to get heard so I tuned up a little and he picked me up.

Also 15 meters was really active mostly with guys here in the U.S. and 10 meters was crazy. There were skips from all over the country coming in like they were next door. We do a 10 meter net locally on Tuesday nights and had search out a clear frequency from out usual one.

Also, my elmer gave me a tip for 160 meters that worked. I have an 80 windam type dipole antenna and the tuner on my Yaseu will tune every band except 160 meters. He told me to unscrew the antenna connecter and pull it out far enough so that just the center pin was connected a try tuning it. WORKED! I was picking up some nets and rag chews. It's the first time I've heard anything at all on 160 meters. The signals were faint but understandable but they couldn't (or didn't) respond to me. Antenna connector is screwed back in now and I'll stick with 80-6 meter bands most of the time but it was cool to get 160 meters at least receiving.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed May 26, 2021 9:14 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:02 am
Jocose wrote:

Cool. I had a QSO with a guy in Russia last night (Toly) on 20 meters. Just a voice QSO but it was pretty cool to get through the pile up to him. I only am running 100 watts and using a wire antenna so the guys with the amplifiers and beam antennas were making it difficult to get heard so I tuned up a little and he picked me up.

Also 15 meters was really active mostly with guys here in the U.S. and 10 meters was crazy. There were skips from all over the country coming in like they were next door. We do a 10 meter net locally on Tuesday nights and had search out a clear frequency from out usual one.

Also, my elmer gave me a tip for 160 meters that worked. I have an 80 windam type dipole antenna and the tuner on my Yaseu will tune every band except 160 meters. He told me to unscrew the antenna connecter and pull it out far enough so that just the center pin was connected a try tuning it. WORKED! I was picking up some nets and rag chews. It's the first time I've heard anything at all on 160 meters. The signals were faint but understandable but they couldn't (or didn't) respond to me. Antenna connector is screwed back in now and I'll stick with 80-6 meter bands most of the time but it was cool to get 160 meters at least receiving.
Fine business on all. I am sometimes tempted to tune around the SSB frequencies and use a mic maybe I should give it a try again one of these days. Also I need to get on 10 and 15 more.. 6 m has been open locally again here.

Hoping the flux picks up and looking forward to more portable ops.

Maybe I'll catch you on SSB sometime, I am also limited to 100 w max and a wire... future plans of an Amp and a Hex Beam or Yagi and 160 would be great!

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Wed May 26, 2021 9:22 am

Jocose wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:14 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:02 am
Jocose wrote:

Fine business on all. I am sometimes tempted to tune around the SSB frequencies and use a mic maybe I should give it a try again one of these days. Also I need to get on 10 and 15 more.. 6 m has been open locally again here.

Hoping the flux picks up and looking forward to more portable ops.

Maybe I'll catch you on SSB sometime, I am also limited to 100 w max and a wire... future plans of an Amp and a Hex Beam or Yagi and 160 would be great!
That would be cool to QSO with you by phone. I've had a couple QSO's with a guy from out your way. The suffix of his call is RAT, which is pretty dang cool. Durango knows him I think. But don't give up on me just yet. My ultimate goal is a QSO with you and Durango using CW. But if you hear KO4LMT calling CQ with a redneck accent, I hope you'll answer.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 26, 2021 3:08 pm

All good stuff above.

Yeah, 6m season fast approaches. Sporadic E openings peak around the summer solstice.
There’s Sporadic E on 10m, too. And, of course, the sun is slowly waking up which will raise the MUF and allow tropospheric propagation on the high bands.

I put up a 2 element beam for 6m last year and hope to make some more contacts with it in the coming months.

When 10m is open, power is practically a non-issue. 100w is plenty.

I have been tied up with a lot of “stuff” recently, but hope to get on the air some this weekend.
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu May 27, 2021 3:51 pm

Bunch of guys in New England working Canary Islands on 6m.
Nothing here. I've been monitoring 6m all day while in the shack.
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:02 pm

Bands here from 20 meters up were pretty dead today but it's 10:00 PM EST here and I'm going to call you on 53.500 just for the heck of it.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu May 27, 2021 8:10 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 3:51 pm
I see 6 has been open almost everywhere except here.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:06 am

Jocose wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 8:10 pm
durangopipe wrote:
All the bands are pretty sucky here today, so far anyway. Maybe they'll open up later on. In the meantime, see if you can make heads or tails of this muddle. (Iforgottospacebetweenwords).

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 28, 2021 9:34 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:06 am
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
All the bands are pretty sucky here today, so far anyway. Maybe they'll open up later on. In the meantime, see if you can make heads or tails of this muddle. (Iforgottospacebetweenwords).

Hello Jocose ...

Is that you, Stanley?
It’s coming along nicely.

I think if you lift the heel of your hand off of the desk it will loosen up your wrist and feel more comfortable - and your dahs will flow a little more smoothly (and be a bit longer). Your position is midway between European “pump” style and American “forearm-elbow on the desk” style. Either way, the wrist needs to be free (especially as the speed picks up). But it’s definitely readable!

Solar flux is 94.

I expect some decent openings today - watch the DX spots.

I’m seeing some interesting DX on 6m showing up. My antenna is too low for reliable tropo and DX, but I should start seeing more Sporadic E around the states here soon.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri May 28, 2021 10:24 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:34 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Hello Jocose ...

Is that you, Stanley?

I think if you lift the heel of your hand off of the desk it will loosen up your wrist and feel more comfortable - and your dahs will flow a little more smoothly (and be a bit longer). Your position is midway between European “pump” style and American “forearm-elbow on the desk” style. Either way, the wrist needs to be free (especially as the speed picks up). But it’s definitely readable!

Solar flux is 94.

I’m seeing some interesting DX on 6m showing up. My antenna is too low for reliable tropo and DX, but I should start seeing more Sporadic E around the states here soon.

:chili: Arm chair copy, Stan. Way better than when I first started, as evidenced in the above video. :egor:

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 28, 2021 10:54 am

Jocose wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:24 am
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Hello Jocose ...

Is that you, Stanley?

Solar flux is 94.

:chili: Arm chair copy, Stan. Way better than when I first started, as evidenced in the above video. :egor:
Fortunately, there were no phones with video cameras or internet to record for posterity my far more pathetic attempts when I was learning!

You’ve picked up code better and faster than anyone I’ve ever known, Jo.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri May 28, 2021 11:24 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:54 am
Jocose wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:24 am
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Hello Jocose ...

Is that you, Stanley?

Solar flux is 94.

Fortunately, there were no phones with video cameras or internet to record for posterity my far more pathetic attempts when I was learning!

You’ve picked up code better and faster than anyone I’ve ever known, Jo.
Ah shucks, you're embarrassing me, I still mostly QLF :oops:

I'm glad its amateur radio :D

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri May 28, 2021 11:26 am

https://hamradio.solutions/vband/

A place to have a virtual CW QSO as well as practice your CW skills.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 28, 2021 2:02 pm

Solar Flux back down to 77.
Sure is bouncing around a lot.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat May 29, 2021 1:32 pm

FT8 must be a seasonal thing on 6 too

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sun May 30, 2021 11:18 am

As of 1:15 PM 5/30 10 meters is opened up here in NC. 6 meters not so much as far as I can tell.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 30, 2021 1:01 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:18 am
As of 1:15 PM 5/30 10 meters is opened up here in NC. 6 meters not so much as far as I can tell.
The contest bands (no WARC bands) will be hopping with the CQ WPX CW contest when openings allow until 24:00Z.

I just saw the Holy Monastery Koutloumousiou on Mt. Athos (SV2RSG/A), Monk Iakovos Kutlumusian, spotted on 20m at 14010.3 by a station in Italy. I'll be listening there with my fingers crossed hoping to hear him if he points toward the US. That might be the station I want to work more than any other in the world. In 59 years I've never heard them!

I've got my Yaesu on HF listening, and my Icom monitoring 6m with the beam pointed southeast.