ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:57 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:30 pm
Thanks to the both of you. You guys got me to pull the trigger on this and it's something I've thought about doing since I was a kid. It will be a awesome to have a QSO with both of you by voice but it will be downright epic if I ever get competent enough on CW to check in with you guys.
What do you mean *if?

WHEN (it doesnt take long especially with daily practice)

Might want to check out CW Acadamy for one of their online zoom classes that they do, I've not done one due to my schedule but I hear really good things about them.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:07 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:57 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:30 pm
Thanks to the both of you. You guys got me to pull the trigger on this and it's something I've thought about doing since I was a kid. It will be a awesome to have a QSO with both of you by voice but it will be downright epic if I ever get competent enough on CW to check in with you guys.
What do you mean *if?

WHEN (it doesnt take long especially with daily practice)

Might want to check out CW Acadamy for one of their online zoom classes that they do, I've not done one due to my schedule but I hear really good things about them.
Thanks, I will check it out. I've been listening to the The Ham Whisperer on ARRL and The AA9PW practice site but this past week I've been concentrating on getting this HF transceiver set up. I pounded in a ground rod, ran some ground wire to my station, ran coax, and finally today I put up the most pathetic dipole (20 Meter) ever on my porch. I haven't tried to transmit yet but I'm picking up some stuff. I need to really study the manual, it seem complicated but I'll pick it up pretty quick I hope. Not like 2 meter repeater operation at all. I've got two "Elmers" on 2 meter who have been a huge help to me. Over the hump now. I want to listen to some guys before I transmit so I don't violate any protocols for HF.

I enjoy learning and this HAM stuff is something I'll enjoy for the rest of my life. There's so much to it that I have to be careful not to spread my self too thin, so the plan is to hit the CW training really hard now that I've got my rig set up. Thanks for the encouragement and advice.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:54 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:44 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:12 pm

:lol:
Guess what? :lol:
Somebody failed the orange circle test and ordered another Begali?
Heh heh.

Do you need the link to the guy who makes the brass tags? :D

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:28 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:54 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:44 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:12 pm

:lol:
Guess what? :lol:
Somebody failed the orange circle test and ordered another Begali?
Heh heh.

Do you need the link to the guy who makes the brass tags? :D

No new Begali but I did fail the test.

The new old Champion. The guy I bought it from said he bought it new in 1955, the serial # suggests it's a 1960.

Whatever year it actually is makes no difference to me, Its brand new, I just cleaned the contacts and it works. It runs ABT 20wpm.

These were in the box as well (original Vibroplex box with paperwork)

Also, love to have the link for the brass tags.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:51 pm

Sweet! That Champion looks like it just came out of the box, brand new.

I like the Champion a lot. If I didn’t have a really nice ‘64 Blue Racer ( :D ), that’s the key I’d have permanently connected to my rig. Until the BR arrived, it was the bug I sent the best code on.

I don’t know if that 160m Xtal will ever get used, but 7038 is a great one to have if you ever build that 40m tube QRP rig!
If you do, we can have a QRP, XTAL controlled, tube rig to tube rig QSO ...

In the “old days”, we’d tune around after a CQ in case a person answering was “rock bound”.

Here’s the guy I got my brass tags from:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engraved-Plate ... 2749.l2649

I also went ahead and got a pair of these:

They’re stair gauges. You can get a pair at Home Depot for $6.00.
They work great as bug weights, and they fit well on both the round and flat pendulum models.

They go on and off more quickly than the standard weights if you want to slow a bug down or speed it up in the middle of a QSO. They don’t look half bad on a bug, either.

A guy on eBay calls them Bug Zappers and charges $15 a piece for them!

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:02 am

Here's the stair gauge on the '64 Blue Racer ...

It lowers the minimum speed down to 18 WPM from 22WPM.
Goes on quickly, removes quickly.

Inexpensive and pretty handy.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:05 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:02 am
Here's the stair gauge on the '64 Blue Racer ...

It lowers the minimum speed down to 18 WPM from 22WPM.
Goes on quickly, removes quickly.

Inexpensive and pretty handy.
Sweet, looks good to boot. I saw those "bug zappers" on eBay.

Speaking of Ebay..

Theres a really sweet 1950's BR Deluxe on eBay right now, trying to resist...

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:25 pm

My license was upgraded to General in the FCC database today. Printed it up too.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:47 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:25 pm
My license was upgraded to General in the FCC database today. Printed it up too.
Did you keep your original Callsign?

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:50 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:05 pm
Sweet, looks good to boot. I saw those "bug zappers" on eBay.

Speaking of Ebay..

Theres a really sweet 1950's BR Deluxe on eBay right now, trying to resist...

Yeah, and another real beauty, 1966.
Sure is in good shape.

Also, one of these in great shape:

:D
Last edited by durangopipe on Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:04 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:47 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Yes, KO4LMT.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:05 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:04 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
Yes, KO4LMT.
:thumbsup:

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:01 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:05 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
Yes, KO4LMT.
I've been familiarizing myself with this new transceiver. It's a lot more to learn than with my VHF/UHF. I'm slowly progressing though and getting used to the noise. My only current antenna is a homemade 20 meter dipole strung up along my porch. It works but I've only made one contact so far. I listened in on the CCEN tonight on 80 meters and enjoyed that. I learn a lot just by listening. HF is more formal than 2 meter I'm learning. Enjoying it though. I study some CW tonight and the way my lot is laid out I think I may end up getting an end fed dipole. My lot is long and very narrow and my house sits at one end. Anyway, I'm having fun with this (and spending lots of money). I also need to get a log book.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:37 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:01 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:05 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
Yes, KO4LMT.
I've been familiarizing myself with this new transceiver. It's a lot more to learn than with my VHF/UHF. I'm slowly progressing though and getting used to the noise. My only current antenna is a homemade 20 meter dipole strung up along my porch. It works but I've only made one contact so far. I listened in on the CCEN tonight on 80 meters and enjoyed that. I learn a lot just by listening. HF is more formal than 2 meter I'm learning. Enjoying it though. I study some CW tonight and the way my lot is laid out I think I may end up getting an end fed dipole. My lot is long and very narrow and my house sits at one end. Anyway, I'm having fun with this (and spending lots of money). I also need to get a log book.

An end fed can work well, and I’m going to guess that if you get the antenna running out away from your house, some of the noise will go away.

You’ll want a good counterpoise.

There was a pretty severe geomagnetic disturbance the past few days and the A index got quite high. That can cause a lot of noise. I haven’t been able to get on the air this week so I didn’t hear this, but you may find things quieting down a bit now that the disturbance is subsiding.

20m is generally less susceptible to atmospheric noise than 40m and especially 80m.

Getting more familiar with your digital signal processing will definitely help as well.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:46 pm

Stanley?

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:50 pm

Tried calling but bands aren't in great shape at the moment.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:14 pm

:rotfl:

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:54 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:46 pm

Stanley?
Getting there. VHF/UHF, an HT VHF, HF Transceiver, SWR Meter, Dummy load, 32 amp switching power supply, 22 amp linear power supply, new soldering gun, reloading bench turned into a work bench, new desk, new surge protector power strips, an amp, tons of wire, ground rod, multi-meter, wire strippers, coax connectors, 150 feet of coax total so far, and I know I'm forgetting some stuff.

Thinking about moving my station from the den into the back bedroom which will require rerouting all the coax and ground wire and drilling a hole in the floor. Oh yeah, forgot about the VHF/UHF antennas and stuff. And the desk.

I'm considering buying a new house with an extra room that I can turn into a shack.

Worth it.

I've been listening a lot and transmitting very little until I learn the practices and good manners. I've been listening to 80 meters tonight and some of those guys talk pretty ugly. A few arguments. It was kind of like CPS a few times but without the pipes, tobacco and God.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:57 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:54 pm
Jocose wrote:

Stanley?
Getting there. VHF/UHF, an HT VHF, HF Transceiver, SWR Meter, Dummy load, 32 amp switching power supply, 22 amp linear power supply, new soldering gun, reloading bench turned into a work bench, new desk, new surge protector power strips, an amp, tons of wire, ground rod, multi-meter, wire strippers, coax connectors, 150 feet of coax total so far, and I know I'm forgetting some stuff.

Thinking about moving my station from the den into the back bedroom which will require rerouting all the coax and ground wire and drilling a hole in the floor. Oh yeah, forgot about the VHF/UHF antennas and stuff. And the desk.

I'm considering buying a new house with an extra room that I can turn into a shack.

Worth it.

I've been listening a lot and transmitting very little until I learn the practices and good manners. I've been listening to 80 meters tonight and some of those guys talk pretty ugly. A few arguments. It was kind of like CPS a few times but without the pipes, tobacco and God.
Prolly 75 meters, I tune in every so often and listen.

CW is truly the Gentleman's band and I much prefer the mode.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:12 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:57 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:54 pm
Jocose wrote:

Stanley?

Worth it.

Prolly 75 meters, I tune in every so often and listen.

CW is truly the Gentleman's band and I much prefer the mode.
Working on the CW but I admit I've been slowed down while trying to learn all the functions of this new transceiver. I'll get there though, on my honor as a gentleman I'll get there. Wait, I'm no gentleman.....but I'll get there anyway. Top priority is making a QSO with you and Durango using CW. Y'ou''ll have to slow down a lot though.

Wait, I forgot the big news. I actually did check in as a guest with a net(?) yesterday. I forgot the first part of the group's name but the last part was "Moonbeam". It was in California. Yep, I actually transmitted to and was received in California. Wow!. i also was going to check in with a guy in Brazil but I couldn't get in so many people were checking in with him. His signal was great, like he was next door. I'm loving this new HF thing.