ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:18 pm

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:19 pm

And I saw on DX Summit that he'd been in QSO with a Canadian for a while before I answered his CQ.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:20 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:18 pm
https://blogs.ancientfaith.com/morningo ... tor-monks/

Monk Apollo, SV2ASP, SK
Wonderful article.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:21 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:17 pm
I edited my post before I saw yours . . .

He went QRT.
Did you hear him before he signed?
Maybe, for only a few seconds, the SPOT tuned him (or someone) up to 14.008.07
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:21 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:17 pm
I edited my post before I saw yours . . .

He went QRT.
Did you hear him before he signed?
Maybe, for only a few seconds, the SPOT tuned him (or someone) up to 14.008.07
Yes.
He started at 14.007 and worked 2 before me, and me there.
Then QSYed up.

I’m guessing he had some European or Asian QRM we couldn’t hear.

He was pretty strong.

I’ve been hearing a lot of Europeans around this time and the Pacific Islands, Australia and New Zealand on 20m just before bed time around 10:00 MDT.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:00 pm

Monk Apollo, SV2ASP - The Voice of Mount Athos

First QSO, 1988 ...

DXCC ...

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:24 pm

Terrible QRN and QSB but managed to work LA1MFA on 40m tonight with 600w and my vertical.

Here’s a drone shot of his four-square on 40m inside his four-square on 80m:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:06 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:24 pm
Terrible QRN and QSB but managed to work LA1MFA on 40m tonight with 600w and my vertical.

Here’s a drone shot of his four-square on 40m inside his four-square on 80m:

+ :taco:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:38 am

I borrowed this idea from HamRadioQrp (AA4OO)

The drywall anchor fits perfectly on the end.

I can get it as low as 12wpm now, and as fast as 16Wpm but not as pretty as yours, Steve.

EDIT: I had my first QSO with the bug recently, It was a little rough for the other guy, I'm sure. :lol: but I managed and kudos to him.

CW FOREVER AND IM BUGGING OUT

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:05 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:38 am

I borrowed this idea from HamRadioQrp (AA4OO)

The drywall anchor fits perfectly on the end.

I can get it as low as 12wpm now, and as fast as 16Wpm but not as pretty as yours, Steve.

EDIT: I had my first QSO with the bug recently, It was a little rough for the other guy, I'm sure. :lol: but I managed and kudos to him.

CW FOREVER AND IM BUGGING OUT
Pretty nifty!

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:18 am

I went to a pre-season soccer game at the college yesterday and ran into the former president of our ham club, W0EZN. He told me the club has a buyer for the entire boat anchor station I donated to the club - a ham up in Montrose, CO. They thought they might have to separate the pieces to sell them.

The same ham is also buying W0EZN’s Viking Ranger. (He must be building quite a boat anchor collection.)

That should pay the light bill for a while!

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:21 am

Hadn't tried the N4IVE bug tamer on the Speed-X yet, but I did this morning ...

The bug tamer comes with 8 weights. With only 6 weights inserted it slows the Speed-X down to around 10 or 11 WPM!
I think I'm going to leave it on the Speed-X, pull this key out for SKCC QSOs with newcomers and use the Vibroplexes at higher speeds.

What fun.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:58 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:21 am
Hadn't tried the N4IVE bug tamer on the Speed-X yet, but I did this morning ...

The bug tamer comes with 8 weights. With only 6 weights inserted it slows the Speed-X down to around 10 or 11 WPM!
I think I'm going to leave it on the Speed-X, pull this key out for SKCC QSOs with newcomers and use the Vibroplexes at higher speeds.

What fun.
:taco:

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:04 pm

I’ve got to say that my old TS-440 crapping out on me might have been the best thing that ever happened to me regarding the rejuvenating of my ham radio enthusiasm.

The used FT-1000MP I found to replace it has the feature I’ve most lusted after in a rig for ages: simultaneous dual receive. Working split with it is absolutely magical!

Then the power company does some line work out here, my local electrical noise drops to S0, suddenly and I can hear S0 and S1 DX on the Yaesu clear as a bell when the atmospheric noise is down. Turn on the amp. Follow him moving through the pileup, call him, and get him. It’s suddenly DX heaven. Even with zero sunspots.

And now another rig is on the way. Supposed to be here in 3-10 days. Plan to dedicate it to digital modes.
Nothing as (formerly) top of the line as the Yaesu, but it should be a fun little rig.

Photos once it’s set up!

Now, I need to convince my wife that Yagis are beautiful.
(Or hide a hex beam on the far side of the garage ...)

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:15 pm

When are you guys gonna upgrade to bacon radio operators?
DL Jake

how is your scrotum? - Roadmaster

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:25 pm

I used to use a TS-440S and loved it. It was loaned to me by a friend and is the only rig I've ever used for the November Sweepstakes (phone weekend). I had a random wire connected to it and I don't remember how many I worked but seems like it was close to 100. I would love to have that radio now. All I have now on hf is a Heathkit SB-102 and an SB-200 amp. I hope to get an antenna up soon, maybe I'll be able to catch you guys on the air. Gotta be phone for now though, it'll take a while to get my cw skills back up to a usable level. Also hoping to find something for 6m ssb.

73 de W4SER
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:45 am

Steverino wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:25 pm
I used to use a TS-440S and loved it. It was loaned to me by a friend and is the only rig I've ever used for the November Sweepstakes (phone weekend). I had a random wire connected to it and I don't remember how many I worked but seems like it was close to 100. I would love to have that radio now. All I have now on hf is a Heathkit SB-102 and an SB-200 amp. I hope to get an antenna up soon, maybe I'll be able to catch you guys on the air. Gotta be phone for now though, it'll take a while to get my cw skills back up to a usable level. Also hoping to find something for 6m ssb.

73 de W4SER

Good stuff Steverino.

I ran a used 440SAT for around 25 years. It was the first all solid state rig I had.

I got mine from my Elmer in ‘95 or ‘96 and used it almost daily until a month or so ago when an intermittent issue on transmit grew into the rig going utterly silent. I acquired it from my Elmer (W9KV) when my FT-101E blew the power transformer. I bought Jim’s 440 when he upgraded to an 850.

Jim had added every imaginable tweek to the 440, including, most importantly, a 250Hz CW filter and variable speed tuning on the VFO dial. I worked my second hundred for DXCC with the 440, and worked a weekly sked with 4 buddies scattered from Maryland to Washington state (all but one of whom are now passed on) for some 20 years. Had breakfast with Jim every Friday morning, before the sked. Sometimes we’d do the sked together with the 440 from my shack.

It’s now on top of a bookcase where it will stay.
Great radio.
Tons of memories.

W0AZ dit dit

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:56 pm

Look at what the maiI lady brought today ...

:D

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:51 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:56 pm

8O

ONE WORD:

Good stuff.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:04 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:51 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:56 pm

8O

ONE WORD:

Good stuff.
Yes, indeed. SDR in a box!
For an "entry level" radio (as Icom describes it), it is pretty darn amazing.

I've gotten spoiled with the dual receive on my Yaesu for working split, but for every day rag chewing and digital modes the 7300 will be terrific. I've been playing around with it this evening and I'm really impressed with the receiver. Transmit audio is quite adjustable and excellent, and the various test reports that have been published show it to have an incredibly clean transmitted signal - among the cleanest of HF rigs regardless of cost.

The USB cable I ordered for it hasn't arrived yet, so I haven't gotten it set up for digital modes, but I suspect it's going to be a heck of a lot easier than making an interface and getting it working with the FT-101E I first did digital with!

The MSRP has come down tremendously since its introduction. Icom was offering a $100 rebate until Sept. 30, and I had a discount coupon from Gigaparts.

The 7300 cost only a bit more than the 6 additional filters it took to populate my 1000MP!

The Yaesu won't be going anywhere soon, and it's going to stay connected to my amp, but this Icom is a hoot.