ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:46 pm

Just worked ZK3A (Tokelau Islands) on 20m CW with the 7300 at 75w.
Turns out the 7300 does split very well indeed. Best ergonomics for working split I've ever seen on a single receiver radio..

I'm beginning to like this 7300. :D

(I did notice after making this photo that I need to set the GMT offset!)
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:38 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:46 pm
Turns out the 7300 does split very well indeed. Best ergonomics for working split I've ever seen on a single receiver radio..

That's really interesting!

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:56 pm

plainview wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:38 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:46 pm

That's really interesting!
Sweet rig.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:27 pm

I was impressed by the specs (especially in a radio at this price point) but a little skeptical of the seemingly over the top hype.
Not any more.

They’re going to sell a helluva lot of these.

The very few cons I’ve discovered so far:

The VOX is pretty much worthless with the supplied hand mic (not enough sensitivity to trigger it quickly), but I don’t work much phone so it doesn’t bother me and the tech rep I wrote to (who admitted the problem) said it isn’t an issue with the desk mic.

The very good receive audio the radio can produce cannot be fully realized without an external speaker, but that seems to be true of every rig.

The fan is noisier than what was used to.

And...

That’s it.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:45 pm

I just updated my QRZ page and added this photo of my friend and Elmer, Jim Scott (W9KV), who passed away this summer. I took the photo in my shack a few years ago during one of Jim's fall visits after he and his wife had moved to Chicago, and after she had passed away.

I was blessed beyond belief to have him as my Elmer.
Even more, as my friend.

Jim rose from technician to Head of Technical Services at WBBM TV in Chicago where he went to work after the Army and then college. His knowledge of all things was encyclopedic, but his skills as an electronic technician were beyond anything I have ever seen or likely ever will.

I do miss miss him, greatly.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:44 am

My Yaesu radio is feeding my trusty old twin 572B Yaesu amp at the moment (it’s over 40 years old and still going strong).
I have enjoyed QRP, battery and solar/battery portable and mountaintop quite a bit in the past. Mostly, I’ve been running 75w from home lately, but on the lower HF bands that are often necessary where we are in the sunspot cycle QRO seems to be needed far more often than up on 15, 12 and 10 when the sun is more cooperative. Damn F layer. :)

I’ve fired up the amp more in the past month than any similar time period I can remember. Maybe I’m just getting lazy. :pipe3:

I’ve been eyeing an Acom 1010 for the 7300 now that I’ve become very fond of the Icom (my first Icom rig) - even working split.

Maybe a Christmas present down the road a bit.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Calling CQ on 6 meters.

Oh and Thank you for keeping this thread alive with the cool content!
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:38 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:40 pm
Calling CQ on 6 meters.

Let me know how you do on 6 meters.
I don’t have a 6m antenna just now and have operated only a very little on 6 in the past.

Ham radio has been a part of my life since I was a child, and now it’s filling in a bit for pipe collecting. I’m glad my pipes are going to some good folks. (And I’m grateful for ham radio taking up some of the slack.)

I’ll definitely keep this thread alive.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:21 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:38 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:40 pm
Calling CQ on 6 meters.

Let me know how you do on 6 meters.
I don’t have a 6m antenna just now and have operated only a very little on 6 in the past.

Ham radio has been a part of my life since I was a child, and now it’s filling in a bit for pipe collecting. I’m glad my pipes are going to some good folks. (And I’m grateful for ham radio taking up some of the slack.)

I’ll definitely keep this thread alive.
I'm so glad that your pipes are headed off to some good homes. I hope that they offer many years of service to the pipe men who snagged them, you offerd some really great Briars!

6 was a bust yesterday, like most days on 6 for me... RBN heard me but no one else did.

I have had a total of 5 QSO's (out of a WHOPPING 79 qso's so far!) on 6 meters. The G5RV you recommended to me a while back seems to work well on the magic band.

I'm really loving CW and I am grateful for your help and advice.

Hope to have a chat one day on CW!

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Did some antenna work today on a beautiful fall afternoon.
Thought I'd post a few photos of the humble antenna farm at W0AZ.

I currently have three antennas outside: a 175' long doublet with the center at 32', a 27' tall base loaded multi-band vertical, and a 2m Cushcraft ARX-2. There's a 2m/440 mag-mount whip sitting on a copper ground plane on a wooden window sill inside the shack that I use with my second VHF rig. It looks out the window at the active local radio club repeaters. It gets into them without any problem.

The "farm":

A better look at the open wire feedline to the doublet, and the 2m vertical:

I use the doublet on 80m-15m. I match it with a link coupled balanced tuner made by Pat Buller, W7RQT SK, similar in design to a KW Johnson Matchbox but with more link and coil taps for greater frequency flexibility and multiple antenna, dummy load and bypass switching.

The vertical was put together with parts from a damaged multi band trap vertical. Instead of reassembling it with traps, I made it tunable with an LC circuit at the base, using movable taps for the loading coil. It works very well on 40m-10m.

This is the tuning circuit box:

I've had this antenna farm for 22 years virtually without change except for routine maintenance. I completed my first 100 for DXCC from our old house in town using a 135' doublet and a vertically polarized 20m Delta Loop. I've added another 100 or so countries confirmed with these antennas.

With the recent HF radio additions inside the shack (the first in nearly 20 years!) I'm wondering if I could get my wife to agree to adding a Hex Beam to the antenna farm.

Maybe I'll start with chocolates ...

:pipe3:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:49 am

Nice farm, tnx for sharing.

I'd sure dig a hex beam here on the Moonbase, eventually..

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:29 pm

Kalifornia officials declare Ham radio is no longer a benefit

The People’s Republic of California is at it again; through unelected state officials, California is severing ties to ham radio repeater owners throughout the state, jeopardizing the lives of millions of Californians who depend on these repeaters to operate during emergencies.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:15 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:29 pm
Kalifornia officials declare Ham radio is no longer a benefit

The People’s Republic of California is at it again; through unelected state officials, California is severing ties to ham radio repeater owners throughout the state, jeopardizing the lives of millions of Californians who depend on these repeaters to operate during emergencies.
“The quoted piece” wrote:Last month, repeater operators were sent emails telling them the State would no longer allow them to operate repeaters on public land without paying substantial rental fees. In the letter sent by CAL FIRE, the state claims Ham operators no longer provide a benefit to the state or public safety. They claimed that “constantly changing technological advances” has made Ham radio obsolete during an emergency.
Every time ham radio has been declared obsolete, and ham radio operators deemed no longer deserving of public support, a disaster occurs during which public radio communication infrastructure for emergency services and health and welfare communication fails, and the only way to fill the gap until that infrastructure is restored is ham radio.

It has happened over and over and over and over again.

This announced policy is not just ignorant but potentially disastrous.

In our county ham radio operators and our ham purchased, installed and maintained VHF repeaters, HF capability and trained ham operators are part of the county’s emergency communications plan. That’s why I maintain VHF capability in my shack. Personally, I never use VHF for “fun.”

Most of our county Search and Rescue personnel are licensed hams, and they carry ham band capable VHF radios. I was a member of the VE team that provided their local testing and licensing opportunity.

Guess where the antennas for lower Manhattan government EMS communication were located on 9-11. You guessed it - on top of the twin towers. “We don’t need ham radio, we’ve got sophisticated, state of the art communications infrastructure.”

Oops.

Teams of ham ops provided EMS communication equipment and operators until that infrastructure was restored.

Guess who provided initial emergency communication during every recent major hurricane? Hams.

Earthquakes? Major wildland fires that take out permanent government repeaters? Hams.

Too many others to mention.

My wife (KB0NLN) and I worked dozens of searches for lost or injured climbers, hikers and hunters, forest fires, traffic control for public events, bike races, etc. for decades. So did most of the able bodied members of our club. They still do.

And we needed and used our ham repeaters installed on National Forest land.
Existing public infrastructure works great until something unforeseen happens. Then the hams show up.

In a hundred ways, I can make no sense of this decision.
It costs the taxpayers nothing, and the insurance it provides is priceless.
Last edited by durangopipe on Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:26 pm

Can’t have communication beyond the purview of the State. Won’t allow it.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:28 pm

It’s licensed and regulated by the federal government.
This proposed California change of policy makes no sense.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:19 pm

First RTTY QSO with the built-in RTTY function of the 7300 this morning.
VA3FIRE on 20m.

(59 "nice audio" report from CU2ARA -Azores Radio Club on 20m sideband, using the IC-7300 barefoot @ 75W and my wire at 22:07 UTC. I have a nice lobe in that direction on 20m. 100w and a wire has gotten thousands of hams their DXCC. You're set up and ready to go! Work on that upgrade, Jo!! :D)

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:45 pm

VY FB.

I'm looking forward to the General or perhaps even the extra ticket but for now with the privileges that a technician brings I can keep busy on HF for ages.

Dreams of DX calling me tho.

Also, I need to fire up the dual band HT and listen in, it's been too long since I've messed with it. I've heard hams from all over on 440 before. I've checked into one net and talked with another ham only once before on it. Just not as fun as HF tho..

CW is where I get my kicks.

Yay for this thread.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:57 pm

I've decided to build a (5 band, maybe?) hexagonal beam antenna for my QTH.

http://www.hex-beam.com/

I'm only in the research phase. I'll be gathering material soon. Thankfully no HOA to worry about. I'm hoping I can do some sort of a telescoping mast or if I can swing it, an actual tower. I know a guy that knows a guy that knows about towers.

Also curremtly trying to get to a consistent 15 WPM head copy. That doesnt sound very fast but I was at 3 WPM not too long ago.

Although its getting easier every day now, I've had some pretty rough QSO's over the past 6 months that I've been licensed, most of the really bad ones were at the beginning and were very embarrassing.

Luckily, 99% of Ops were patient and kind. The SKCC has really helped along my journey and I have had more and more successful rag chews as time goes on.

This will be a fun thread to look back on in the future.

CW FOREVER

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:33 pm

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/m.html

Listening to CW sent from 4XZ on 6607, my rookie ear cant copy much due to the speed

From what I read, 4XZ is operated by Israeli Defense Forces.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:05 pm

Hex beam project is a great idea.
Keep us posted on how it goes.

My understanding is that hex beams perform very well at lower heights than Yagis - and they typically require far less substantial towers.

I may follow your lead on this one.

I have an offer of a free full size 4 element 20m yagi, and a 3 element 10 & 15m beam, plus a crank up hazer from friends in Pagosa Springs (K5GZ, K5IH), but my wife is allergic to towers.

I’m pretty sure I could put up a multi-band hex beam where it would’t be too visible.