ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:33 pm

I mailed a headset to Heil for repairs last Monday.
They got it on Thursday, diagnosed and fixed it and put it back in the mail the same day.

It arrived today working perfectly.
Incredible customer service.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:40 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:33 pm
http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/m.html

Listening to CW sent from 4XZ on 6607, my rookie ear cant copy much due to the speed

From what I read, 4XZ is operated by Israeli Defense Forces.
Cw from 4XZ again on 6607.11
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:09 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:40 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:33 pm
http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/m.html

Listening to CW sent from 4XZ on 6607, my rookie ear cant copy much due to the speed

From what I read, 4XZ is operated by Israeli Defense Forces.
Cw from 4XZ again on 6607.11
I’m wondering why the IDF would use Morse on an open frequency?
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:50 am

Anyone operate formally or informally in the CQWW DX SSB contest this past weekend?

I looked for new contries I needed on sideband but never heard any. The Caribbean, Central and South America and Europe were wide open from my QTH, some Pacific stations and lots of Japanese, a few Africans, scattered islands in both the Atlantic and Pacific (not too bad for a flux at 65) but I didn’t hear much else - most especially, no Asians. Very nearby mountains effectively block low-angle signals over the pole to the north and due south for me.

But I did work 20m for an hour or so on Sat & Sun afternoons and 40m a bit Fri night, anyway - just for fun, and to see what propagation was like. Mostly listening, but I did jump into a few pileups. It took forever to bust pileups with the 7300 running some compression, narrow transmit bandwidth and barefoot. Did much better with the FT-100MP with compression and the amp. I also compared the two radios’ receivers in contest conditions. The twin bandpass filter on the Icom is pretty amazing and should really prove its worth in the CW contest. But the Yaesu is stil an amazing radio, and I’m hard pressed to choose between them on sideband.

Hope to spend more time operating during the CQWW DX CW contest later in November.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:27 pm

So here’s the new tower strategy ...

I tell my wife, “Either a tower or a tattoo. You decide.”
Hopefully, she says, “Tower.”

Waddayathink?

:pipe3:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:57 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:27 pm

So here’s the new tower strategy ...

I tell my wife, “Either a tower or a tattoo. You decide.”
Hopefully, she says, “Tower.”

Waddayathink?

:pipe3:
ONE WORD:

GET BOTH
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:05 pm

I recently strung up a portable chameleon emcomm III above a clearcut up way up in the coastal foothills, miles and miles from anybody and made a few contacts with 5 watts.

I heard several stations on 40M from ALL OVER the place, including a station from Germany. I do not hear anything like this at home, except on 20 meters occasionally but even then never a German station. I do hear F6HKA from France every now and again but havent had a chance to log him yet... Yet.

CW forever

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:05 pm
I recently strung up a portable chameleon emcomm III above a clearcut up way up in the coastal foothills, miles and miles from anybody and made a few contacts with 5 watts.

I heard several stations on 40M from ALL OVER the place, including a station from Germany. I do not hear anything like this at home, except on 20 meters occasionally but even then never a German station. I do hear F6HKA from France every now and again but havent had a chance to log him yet... Yet.

CW forever
Good on ya!
Getting away from local noise and getting up high is a revelation, isn’t it.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:57 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:30 pm
Good on ya!
Yes. Incredible to hear so many sigs and no noise although traffic seems higher and now hearing many pile ups seems intimidating.

I plan on doing another trip this week using a Qrp antenna (end fed 20-30-40) and a Mt Topper qrp rig using a 9 volt battery.

I'll post some pics of the upcoming adventures.
Last edited by Jocose on Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:57 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Good on ya!
Yes. Incredible to hear so many sigs and no noise although QRM seems higher and now hearing many pile ups seems intimidating.

I plan on doing another trip this week using a Qrp antenna (end fed 20-30-40) and a Mt Topper qrp rig using a 9 volt battery.

Looking forward to the report and photos, Jo!

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:11 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:01 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:57 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Good on ya!
Yes. Incredible to hear so many sigs and no noise although QRM seems higher and now hearing many pile ups seems intimidating.

Looking forward to the report and photos, Jo!
Hopefully I will not get shot by a drunk elk hunter. It is second season.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:31 pm

I traveled up in the foothills of Moonbase Alpha for a couple of radio adventures. I used to hunt deer and elk in these parts but this year I only hunted for radio signals.

Here's a couple pics. If I can get the pics off my Nikon. I'll post those, too.

This area is overgrown. It is actually looking over a steep, replanted area way below.

A slingshot and a 2oz fishing weight will get up about 80'

Here is the fishing line shot up and over, lucky first try.

Time to string up the antenna.

Here is another spot I operated at. Fishing line is up, only lost 1 sinker and took prolly 6 times.

I had several nice contacts. I heard several east coast stations and I tried and failed to land an operator in Cuba on 40 meters during a contest, my Morse code ability to copy is really slow.
Last edited by Jocose on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:32 pm

WA7WFH checking in.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:35 pm

LushMojo wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:32 pm
WA7WFH checking in.

QSL hope to see you on the bands one day.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:39 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:35 pm
LushMojo wrote:
WA7WFH checking in.

Right on. I'm really new to it. My wife's father started us out. He's been into HAM for like 50 years. My wife has her general and got it when CM was still required. My oldest daughter and I both have tech licenses.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:51 pm

LushMojo wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:39 pm
Jocose wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
WA7WFH checking in.

Right on. I'm really new to it. My wife's father started us out. He's been into HAM for like 50 years. My wife has her general and got it when CM was still required. My oldest daughter and I both have tech licenses.
Nice, I'm new as well. I got my technicians just over 6 months ago. I'm hoping to get the General one of these days. As you may or may not know, I am not the worlds brightest man and for me, studying for and getting the General seems nearly as difficult as getting a medical degree.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:25 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:51 pm
LushMojo wrote:
Jocose wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
WA7WFH checking in.

Nice, I'm new as well. I got my technicians just over 6 months ago. I'm hoping to get the General one of these days. As you may or may not know, I am not the worlds brightest man and for me, studying for and getting the General seems nearly as difficult as getting a medical degree.
Great to hear, Lushmojo!
Lots of hams on CPS. Do keep us posted on your exploits.

Your father-in-law and I are probably contemporaries. I've been licensed for 57 years.

I was just taking a break from the CQWWDX CW contest this weekend, and was going to PM Jo with an update, but as long as you're here, too, I'll post it.

First: Your QRP/battery/ridgetop video was spectacular, Jo! I'm jealous. You should post it here for everyone to see.

I used to do that a lot in the mountains near home (before Elecraft existed :D ) with a kit-brew QRP transceiver and various antennas. Mostly, I used a hamstick on a lightweight tripod with counterpoise wires because there are no trees above around 11,500' here. It was amazing what I could work on 20m with a hamstick and 5w from a mountain above treeline.

I also often ran a heavier, more complicated setup with an open wire fed doublet, antenna tuner and an Alinco DX-70 set for 5w from our Scamp trailer. I worked 40-10m with that outfit, and we could tow that thing to some terrific radio sites with our Jeep.

My Elmer (W9KV) and I worked Field Day together that way for years.

This weekend I'm trying to work some new entities to get my DXCC count up, but coming up short in that regard. The only new one that I've been able to find is St. Helena in the middle of the southern Atlantic. I heard him on 15m and on 20m, but could never manage to bust the pileup. I hope to hear him again, and I'll keep trying. You can't work split during a contest, so the pileup is a mess.

But I have worked a lot of stations and have seen some pretty crazy propagation. I worked Ireland, New Zealand and Curacao on consecutive calls on 20m around 1832 UTC yesterday! Go figure??

And around a half hour ago, before taking a break, I worked Aruba, Senegal, Hawaii, Spain, Corsica, Sicily, Montserrat and Venezuela in 8 consecutive QSOs on 20m in 20 mins. around 2015 UTC! Again, go figure??

The CQWW brings out the big guns running legal limit with stacked Yagis on tall towers and they not only put out big signals, but they can hear well, too. Still, that's some pretty crazy propagation.

I'm running the FT-1000MP with Yaesu amp @ 500w, and the Bencher paddles with the Logikey Keyer.

I'll get out of the shack and enjoy a little sunshine, but I'll be back on 40m tonight.

What's your farther-in-law's call, Lush?

W0AZ dit dit
Last edited by durangopipe on Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:27 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:25 pm
Jocose wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
Jocose wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
WA7WFH checking in.

W0AZ dit dit
W5LA

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:00 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:25 pm
Jocose wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
Jocose wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
WA7WFH checking in.

W0AZ dit dit
W5LA
It appears we are contemporaries ...

He was licensed in 1961.
I was licensed in 1962.

I enjoyed his webpage; and, I'm jealous of his tower and antenna. :lol:

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:23 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:31 pm
I traveled up in the foothills of Moonbase Alpha for a couple of radio adventures. I used to hunt deer and elk in these parts but this year I only hunted for radio signals.

Here's a couple pics. If I can get the pics off my Nikon. I'll post those, too.

This area is overgrown. It is actually looking over a steep, replanted area way below.

A slingshot and a 2oz fishing weight will get up about 80'

Here is the fishing line shot up and over, lucky first try.

Time to string up the antenna.

Here is another spot I operated at. Fishing line is up, only lost 1 sinker and took prolly 6 times.

I had several nice contacts. I heard several east coast stations and I tried and failed to land an operator in Cuba on 40 meters during a contest, my Morse code ability to copy is really slow.
I somehow missed this post, Jo.
Fantastic portable antenna!

Do post your video.