ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:22 am

My slingshot/fishing reel rig for putting up antenna halyards is currently lacking its rubber band (hadn’t used it in so long it rotted!). You’ve inspired me to order another rubber band to have it ready for use.

A tip: I painted my fishing weights blaze orange so I could find them more easily after the “shot.”
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:57 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:22 am
My slingshot/fishing reel rig for putting up antenna halyards is currently lacking its rubber band (hadn’t used it in so long it rotted!). You’ve inspired me to order another rubber band to have it ready for use.

A tip: I painted my fishing weights blaze orange so I could find them more easily after the “shot.”
*looking around for blaze orange paint*
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:05 pm

Shooting a YouTube video was an afterthought as evidenced by these short clips from a cell phone.

My coffee always tastes much better when I drink from the JimVH Yeti that I ripped off from him during his grandsons hockey practice.
Last edited by Jocose on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:22 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:05 pm
My coffee always tastes much better when I drink from the JimVH Yeti that I ripped off from him during his grandsons hockey practice.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:10 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:22 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:05 pm
I came by my JmVH Yeti honorably.
We captured it together on a high ridge in the Hindu Kush.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:27 pm

:chili:
Last edited by Jocose on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:58 am

Jocose wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:27 pm
I'm trying to get set up to be a SOTA activator. Lots of great places nearby. Have Jeep, will travel.
It will be fun and rewarding.
QRP from a mountaintop is amazingly effective.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:18 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:58 am
Jocose wrote:
I'm trying to get set up to be a SOTA activator. Lots of great places nearby. Have Jeep, will travel.
Ok, I think I am all set up on SOTA. The webpage is buggy and difficult to deal wid on my phone. I sent an alert and will try and activate my first summit today on 40, 10 and 15 meters, CW, all depending on weather and traffic etc.

Wish me luck.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:23 am

Jocose wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:18 am
durangopipe wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Ok, I think I am all set up on SOTA. The webpage is buggy and difficult to deal wid on my phone. I sent an alert and will try and activate my first summit today on 40, 10 and 15 meters, CW, all depending on weather and traffic etc.

Wish me luck.
If you have cell service, text me time and freq.
I’ll keep my phone on (for a change) and look for you.

Good luck!

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:38 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:23 am
Jocose wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:18 am
durangopipe wrote:
Jocose wrote:

Wish me luck.
If you have cell service, text me time and freq.
I’ll keep my phone on (for a change) and look for you.

Good luck!
Will do!

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:41 pm

Jo and I just worked on 40m CW.

He was working QRP battery power from a summit - it was raining and his hands were freezing, but his fist was great in spite of the weather.

Before we worked, he had a pileup of west coast ops calling him.
What fun!

I’m sure he’ll post more ...

Thanks Jo!

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:44 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:31 pm
I traveled up in the foothills of Moonbase Alpha for a couple of radio adventures. I used to hunt deer and elk in these parts but this year I only hunted for radio signals.

Here's a couple pics. If I can get the pics off my Nikon. I'll post those, too.

I don't know beans about radio, but this kit you take to the high country is cool. It's as good an excuse as any to get out there.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:09 pm

I activated my first SOTA summit today. I wound up logging 12 QSOs (need 4 to score) so I scored 1 point.

The bonus was hearing and working Durangopipe as my first official SOTA call, huge smile hit my face as his signal traveled to and hit the Moonbase with aplomb.

Cold, wet and windy but I sure had a blast. I look forward to doing more technical summits in the future.

Thanks, Steve, you made my day.

dit dit

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:40 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:09 pm
I activated my first SOTA summit today. I wound up logging 12 QSOs (need 4 to score) so I scored 1 point.

The bonus was hearing and working Durangopipe as my first official SOTA call, huge smile hit my face as his signal traveled to and hit the Moonbase with aplomb.

Cold, wet and windy but I sure had a blast. I look forward to doing more technical summits in the future.

dit dit
I didn’t understand most of this, but it’s cool as heck that you made contact with DP. This sounds like a lot of fun.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:43 am

JimVH wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:40 pm
Jocose wrote:

dit dit
I didn’t understand most of this, but it’s cool as heck that you made contact with DP. This sounds like a lot of fun.
An alien from Moonbase Alpha once made contact with me.

Not. Fun.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:53 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:43 am
JimVH wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:40 pm
Jocose wrote:

dit dit
An alien from Moonbase Alpha once made contact with me.

Not. Fun.
Hahahahahaaaa!

I'll leave the inappropriate comment out.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:07 pm

I was fortunate enough to activate another summit today at 3500'

Lots of snow and wind. Made 5 contacts. I got lost at first but eventually found my way.

There was a long stretch of over an hour without hearing a thing on any band and of course not getting any response, which was frustrating.....

Finally a station in Colorado, north of durangopipe heard me and he was my last contact of the day.

Had strange qrn most of the day and the internal antenna tuner was working overtime, had to adjust the antenna several times, not sure what was going on with that.

As much as I love the outdoors, operating an amateur radio station in the snow, cold and wet is a little rough but it was great to get up in the hills yet again and I'm thankful for the chance to do these things while I can.

God is good.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:25 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:07 pm
I was fortunate enough to activate another summit today at 3500'

Lots of snow and wind. Made 5 contacts. I got lost at first but eventually found my way.

There was a long stretch of over an hour without hearing a thing on any band and of course not getting any response, which was frustrating.....

Finally a station in Colorado, north of durangopipe heard me and he was my last contact of the day.

Had strange qrn most of the day and the internal antenna tuner was working overtime, had to adjust the antenna several times, not sure what was going on with that.

As much as I love the outdoors, operating an amateur radio station in the snow, cold and wet is a little rough but it was great to get up in the hills yet again and I'm thankful for the chance to do these things while I can.

God is good.

God IS good!!
Love your reports, Jo.

Snow and rain will detune an antenna, and that will change constantly while it’s snowing and raining.
The antenna itself is changing and so is the RF ground/counterpoise with the moisture.

I’d guess that’s what was happening.