ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:08 pm

Pepik wrote:
Jocose wrote:Trying to think of a vanity call sign, coming up empty so far.

:chili:
Even so - the call needs to be vacated and available for reassignment.
This isn't gonna be easy.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:41 pm

Jocose wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Jocose wrote:Trying to think of a vanity call sign, coming up empty so far.

Even so - the call needs to be vacated and available for reassignment.
This isn't gonna be easy.
This will make it easier: http://www.radioqth.net/vanity/available
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:32 am

I worked point to point microwave radio as my military occupational specialty. I once looked into microwave ham radio activities. That's about as far as I got.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:25 am

Jocose wrote:Studying for my technicians license using the 3rd edition ARRL Manual.

Looks easy, should be able to ace it.

Trying to think of a vanity call sign, coming up empty so far.

How about K7SWANTS?

:taco:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:08 pm

So, I geeked out on some rigs today. I found a cheap as dirt Handheld (Yaesu) :D

I charged the batt, then excitedly scanned some frequencies and within 5 minutes I came across some jackass trollin the folks who have studied, paid and passed the FCC test required to legally operate an amateur ham station.

Sad, no different than the CB channels I left years ago.

This makes me regret my purchase and now I want to go CW only.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:17 pm

Jocose wrote:So, I geeked out on some rigs today. I found a cheap as dirt Handheld (Yaesu) :D

I charged the batt, then excitedly scanned some frequencies and within 5 minutes I came across some jackass trollin the folks who have studied, paid and passed the FCC test required to legally operate an amateur ham station.

Might want to go for that General or Extra to make CW useful. Then again, finding a repeater then monitoring and saying Hi when you do have your license will pay off better than letting some doofus ruin it for you.

Also, there's always the Digital modes for HF that are *really* interesting like PSK31, Pactor, and other modes.
Rgrds,
Joe

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:23 pm

Pepik wrote:
Jocose wrote:So, I geeked out on some rigs today. I found a cheap as dirt Handheld (Yaesu) :D

Might want to go for that General or Extra to make CW useful. Then again, finding a repeater then monitoring and saying Hi when you do have your license will pay off better than letting some doofus ruin it for you.

Also, there's always the Digital modes for HF that are *really* interesting like PSK31, Pactor, and other modes.
I'll take yer word for it.
Thanks

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:52 pm

The back and forth, I have to admit, is captivating. It's been over 2 hours now and I'm still listening.

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:12 am

My wife, Betsy, passed her Tech test last night. I'm so proud of her for all the work she put into getting it. She hasn't taken a test of any kind for over 40 years and it was a real challenge for her. Next step is to help her get her General so she can get on HF. As to the question of what do you do with ham radio; in my case it's chasing long-distance (DX) contacts, mostly on CW (Morse Code). I've worked nearly 300 countries, with over 100 on each different frequency bands, 275 on CW, 175 on voice (SSB), and 85 on radio-teletype (RTTY). I've done emergency communications from the field after a tornado, talked to the original MIR space station from my car, listened to the ISS, and operated from Japan and the island of Bequia. Ham radio was directly or indirectly responsible for getting me all of the jobs I held in college, and for my job as a Cryptologic Technician in the Navy, as well as leading to my final career as owner of the RadioShack store my wife and I ran for 16 years before our retirement. As I type this, I'm sitting with my headphone on listening for a station in Pakistan.

Rick, W0FG
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:45 pm

CW Spook wrote:My wife, Betsy, passed her Tech test last night. I'm so proud of her for all the work she put into getting it. She hasn't taken a test of any kind for over 40 years and it was a real challenge for her. Next step is to help her get her General so she can get on HF. As to the question of what do you do with ham radio; in my case it's chasing long-distance (DX) contacts, mostly on CW (Morse Code). I've worked nearly 300 countries, with over 100 on each different frequency bands, 275 on CW, 175 on voice (SSB), and 85 on radio-teletype (RTTY). I've done emergency communications from the field after a tornado, talked to the original MIR space station from my car, listened to the ISS, and operated from Japan and the island of Bequia. Ham radio was directly or indirectly responsible for getting me all of the jobs I held in college, and for my job as a Cryptologic Technician in the Navy, as well as leading to my final career as owner of the RadioShack store my wife and I ran for 16 years before our retirement. As I type this, I'm sitting with my headphone on listening for a station in Pakistan.

Rick, W0FG
Cool :)

Kinda funny, I'm a radio personality in Winnipeg but i have no idea how any of it works. I just push a button and talk. I'm kind of intrigued now ...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:23 pm

ImageImageImage

Day 3

Trying to learn @ 20 words per minute.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:09 pm

Jocose wrote:ImageImageImage

Day 3

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:27 am

Day 3

Keep at it. You'll get there, it just takes bit of time and it'll be well worth it in the end.
BTW, I just worked V73D in the Marshall Islands for my 86th country on RTTY, and this morning received my QSLs from E51MQT on the North Cook Islands for contacts on 80, 40, 30, 20, 17 & 12 meters. I just need 9 more countries confirmed for DXCC on 40...got all the higher bands finished.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:03 pm

Knife edge diffraction seems counter intuitive to me. Plus, this 4/3 Earth principle seems strange. It is almost like friction effe ts radio waves.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:07 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Day 8
Frustrating

Oldtom
Usher
Usher

Post by Oldtom » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:45 pm

Thank you.
Last edited by Oldtom on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fruits of the herbs , fruits of the grain , fruits of the vine. The triune knot.
When in Rome do as the Romans do.
Felix Culpa.
Peace Britannia.

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:54 pm

Baofeng has a price point that cannot be ignored for their handhelds, for sure. How does it perform for you?
Rgrds,
Joe

Oldtom
Usher
Usher

Post by Oldtom » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:49 pm

Thank you.
Fruits of the herbs , fruits of the grain , fruits of the vine. The triune knot.
When in Rome do as the Romans do.
Felix Culpa.
Peace Britannia.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:41 pm

Oldtom wrote:Thank you.
With Skip and Pepik at the wedding today, it seems no answer will come for a few days. But something smells fishy.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:04 pm

CW Spook wrote:

Day 3

Keep at it. You'll get there, it just takes bit of time and it'll be well worth it in the end.
BTW, I just worked V73D in the Marshall Islands for my 86th country on RTTY, and this morning received my QSLs from E51MQT on the North Cook Islands for contacts on 80, 40, 30, 20, 17 & 12 meters. I just need 9 more countries confirmed for DXCC on 40...got all the higher bands finished.

Very Cool! Both of you.

CW Spook, you're way ahead of me . . .
I've been pretty low-key regarding DXCC for the past decade or so.

I'm at 200 confirmed, total. All bands. No DXCC on any one band, but I do have CW and Phone certificates.

198 officially with the ARRL--haven't sent in an update in a while. Confirmed 6V7F in Senegal on 20m and ZL8X on Kermadec (on 20m and 15m in 2010--I just realized looking at the card) since my last update. Should do it--that "200" sticker would be nice to have.

You're inspiring me!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year