ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:09 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:38 pm
Jocose wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:00 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:37 pm
My "new" used keyer from eBay arrived today.

I've got it connected to the Icom and the Begali paddle.
Hey, Steve, does the Icom have an internal keyer?
Yes, the Icom has an internal memory keyer but to use the memories you have get into a menu. Speed change, however, is right up front on the screen with the multi function key. It’s good as internal Keyers go, but I like the Logikey keying mode (one of 5 or 6 keying modes available including Curtis A and B), and the memories are more easily accessible. Four buttons right there in front of you.

For contesting, you can increment sequential numbers within an exchange.

Mostly, it’s that I’ve been using a Logikey keyer for over 20 years and having the same programming commands and feel on both radios is more comfortable for me.

The Yaesu has a fine internal keyer, too. I don’t use it, either.
I figured that there was a method to your madness!

GL and Good DX.

You may need to find room again for the bug tho. ...
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:24 pm

All hands on deck, 4U1UN is calling CQ on 40 meters.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:22 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:24 pm
Go get ‘em!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:43 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Go get ‘em!
Why is this exciting? Explain to us
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:38 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:43 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Go get ‘em!
Ham “DXers” are like birders with life lists.

There are 330-odd “entities” in the world. Entities are countries, remote islands, and certain special locations (like UN Headquarters and the monastery on Mt. Athos). Some are very far away, some are unoccupied and only rarely visited by a ham.

When you are able to establish 2-way communication and exchange certain information with one of them it counts as a contact.

You “collect” them.

There are plaques and awards available, or you can just keep a personal list.
People who certify communication with 100 of them become members of the DX Century Club - an honor in ham circles.

Contacting the rare ones requires operating skills, technical knowledge and a bit of luck.

4U1UN is the callsign of the UN Headquarters. They were off the air for many years and are now back on but only infrequently. Hearing them or seeing them reported as being on the air is like hearing that someone reported an ivory billed woodpecker nearbye.

:pipe3:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:13 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:38 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:43 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Go get ‘em!
Ham “DXers” are like birders with life lists.

There are 330-odd “entities” in the world. Entities are countries, remote islands, and certain special locations (like UN Headquarters and the monastery on Mt. Athos). Some are very far away, some are unoccupied and only rarely visited by a ham.

When you are able to establish 2-way communication and exchange certain information with one of them it counts as a contact.

You “collect” them.

There are plaques and awards available, or you can just keep a personal list.
People who certify communication with 100 of them become members of the DX Century Club - an honor in ham circles.

Contacting the rare ones requires operating skills, technical knowledge and a bit of luck.

4U1UN is the callsign of the UN Headquarters. They were off the air for many years and are now back on but only infrequently. Hearing them or seeing them reported as being on the air is like hearing that someone reported an ivory billed woodpecker nearbye.

:pipe3:
+1

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:17 pm

I'm thinking about getting me some Krapco antennas.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:20 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:17 pm

I'm thinking about getting me some Krapco antennas.
:D

Did you manage to get 4U1UN, Jo?

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:23 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:20 pm

Not on 40, but I do have 4U1UN confirmed on 20m CW!

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:28 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:23 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:20 pm

Not on 40, but I do have 4U1UN confirmed on 20m CW!
I remember.
That was a great grab.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:40 pm

The 13 Colonies special event have been difficult for me. I managed only 3.

I'll blame it on propagation.

Sure is fun trying tho.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:21 pm

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:41 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:40 pm
The 13 Colonies special event have been difficult for me. I managed only 3.

I'll blame it on propagation.

Sure is fun trying tho.
Propagation hasn’t been great.

I got a mixed-mode sweep last year with a bonus station. (Hope I’m remembering that correctly.)
Didn’t hit it as hard this year. I think I only got 6 - NH and GA on both CW and SSB.

Being closer to middle of the continent, it should be a lot easier for me.
That and the power difference.

Getting through those pileups QRP is a huge accomplishment.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:43 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:21 pm
I have no other plans tomorrow.

:D

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:43 pm

Back on the air, it's been a couple of days, things seem ok! I worked Brazil on 20, a 10 point SOTA Summit down in Arizona on 40 and a Fists QSO in GA so far!

CW FOREVER

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:43 pm
Back on the air, it's been a couple of days, things seem ok! I worked Brazil on 20, a 10 point SOTA Summit down in Arizona on 40 and a Fists QSO in GA so far!

CW FOREVER
:thumbsup:

(I’ve been working on guns all day.)

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:47 pm

I'm conflicted on contesting.

I enjoy contests at times but when they QRM all over the QRP channels it gets super annoying, especially when a bunch of folks are trying to work SOTA Summits.

I was trying to finish a summit when some dude sending 900 words a minute (and probably sending from a keyboard) thought I was calling him on some contest going on, hi

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:56 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:47 pm

I enjoy contests at times but when they QRM all over the QRP channels it gets super annoying, especially when a bunch of folks are trying to work SOTA Summits.

I was trying to finish a summit when some dude sending 900 words a minute (and probably sending from a keyboard) thought I was calling him on some contest going on, hi
It’s an old problem.
The problem is more with operators than contests - but both contribute.

The guy who called you needed to learn the first three rules of proper operating:

1) Listen
2) Listen
3) Listen

(Still working on my guns.)

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:07 pm

The USS Hornet is on 18081

3rd time in my log now!

:chili:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:09 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:56 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:47 pm

It’s an old problem.
The problem is more with operators than contests - but both contribute.

The guy who called you needed to learn the first three rules of proper operating:

1) Listen
2) Listen
3) Listen

(Still working on my guns.)
I've been reading the DX code of conduct myself, I've prolly QRM'd a time or two myself when starting out.

The first 3 rules are pretty good ones to remeber.

EDIT: Logged W1AW in the contest (on non qrp channel) :chili: so, liking contesting agn. :lol: