ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Solar flux is 67 - we’re going in the wrong direction!
I cannot recall having lived through a solar minimum either this deep or this long.

Or, for that matter, solar maxima as uninspiring as the last two.

(Meanwhile, average global temperatures continue to rise - so much for the theory of solar activity as the primary driver of contemporary global temperature.)

But the heck with global apocalypse.
I just want to work 15 meters and up!

Heck, I’d be happy if 20m were alive for more than a few hours here and there.
:D
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 am

Listening to both 6m and 20m this morning.
Both are pretty dead here.

20m may pick up a bit later.

Meanwhile ...

I pulled these paddles out of my portable op. case. I haven't used them for a very long time and thought I might use them for a while just for a change of pace:

They were written up in a ham magazine years ago (might have been QST). Marshall Emm at MorseExpress was selling them. I was working in Denver at the time and he was only a few miles away in Aurora, so I called him, then drove over, tried them out and bought them.

(Marshall passed away this past February.)

I wish I could remember the call of the guy in California who made them. He only sold a very few then stopped making them. They're not exactly Begalis, but for a set of paddles made in a home shop they're very nice. They are a PITA to get set up (somewhat course threads on the adjusting screws and the lock nut is blocked by the adjustment screw head necessitating a very thin, small wrench), but once adjusted they're quite nice. The wooden finger pieces look and feel very good. And they're nicely small. The black marble base is 2" wide.

Begali Pearl:

I've been looking at Begali paddles online again (I've always wanted a Pearl), and maybe this will keep me from splurging!. :D
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:55 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 am

Meanwhile ...

I pulled these paddles out of my portable op. case. I haven't used them for a very long time and thought I might use them for a while just for a change of pace:

They were written up in a ham magazine years ago (might have been QST). Marshall Emm at MorseExpress was selling them. I was working in Denver at the time and he was only a few miles away in Aurora, so I called him, then drove over, tried them out and bought them.

I wish I could remember the call of the guy in California who made them. He only sold a very few then stopped making them. They're not exactly Begalis, but for a set of paddles made in a home shop they're very nice. They are a PITA to get set up (somewhat course threads on the adjusting screws and the lock nut is blocked by the adjustment screw head necessitating a very thin, small wrench), but once adjusted they're quite nice. The wooden finger pieces look and feel very good. And they're nicely small. The black marble base is 2" wide.

Begali Pearl:

I've been looking at Begali paddles online again (I've always wanted a Pearl), and maybe this will keep me from splurging!. :D
Dang it, Steve. You're a bad influence. Turtle finish Expedition incoming.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:58 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:15 pm
I cannot recall having lived through a solar minimum either this deep or this long.

(Meanwhile, average global temperatures continue to rise - so much for the theory of solar activity as the primary driver of contemporary global temperature.)

Yes, its certainly frustrating at times, especially with 10 watts. But it does make DX contacts that much more fun. Worked Japan again during the contest. :chili:

Hopefully things will eventually get better, I have a long way to go for my DXCC.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:03 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:55 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 am

Meanwhile ...

Begali Pearl:

Dang it, Steve. You're a bad influence. Turtle finish Expedition incoming.
Wahooooooooooo!

You know what they say.
“Once you go Begali you never go back.”

:pipe3:

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:08 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:58 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Yes, its certainly frustrating at times, especially with 10 watts. But it does make DX contacts that much more fun. Worked Japan again during the contest. :chili:

Hopefully things will eventually get better, I have a long way to go for my DXCC.
You’re doing great, especially considering band conditions.

I came across my personal QRP DXCC list recently, nothing formal, I’m not getting cards. When the bands heat up again I might try to complete 100.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:23 pm

The Titanic sending CQD (old SOS) via Morse after hitting iceberg.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:35 am

Jocose wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:23 pm

The Titanic sending CQD (old SOS) via Morse after hitting iceberg.
Fascinating.

I understand the signal was a form of MCW - modulated CW on the main transmitter.
The backup transmitter was a spark.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:41 am

I recently re-read an old article by Marshall Emm where he very carefully analyses iambic keying technique arguing that there’s little to no advantage, and he further asserts that high speed operators don’t use it.

That seemed quite contrary to my own experience.

I just discovered this video (while dealing with my full blown case of Begali Pearl-itis):

Apparently high speed iambic technique is alive and well. :D

Post photos when your Expedition arrives, Jo!

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:39 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:41 am
I recently re-read an old article by Marshall Emm where he very carefully analyses iambic keying technique arguing that there’s little to no advantage, and he further asserts that high speed operators don’t use it.

I just discovered this video (while dealing with my full blown case of Begali Pearl-itis):

That's really amazing!

I found out, by accident, that I can squeeze the letter D.

L is still not consistent for some reason but I'm working on it daily.

I'm working with Morse Runner (and another program, cant remember the name) to boost contest speed copy. I'm rrally comfortable at 20 wpm and pushing for 25 and up (not as consistent)

Get the Pearl, you deserve a treat.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:44 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:39 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:41 am

That's really amazing!

I found out, by accident, that I can squeeze the letter D.

L is still not consistent for some reason but I'm working on it daily.

I'm working with Morse Runner (and another program, cant remember the name) to boost contest speed copy. I'm rrally comfortable at 20 wpm and pushing for 25 and up (not as consistent)

Get the Pearl, you deserve a treat.
Hold down the dit paddle and Just “tap” the dah - don’t wait for it to complete.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:36 pm

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:35 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:36 pm

:rotfl:

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:01 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:09 pm

You may need to find room again for the bug tho. ...

I did:

Heaven help me ...

I just bought another bug. It is a 1948 Champion - the economy model. I wasn’t planning to get another bug, but this one was pristine. And made in my birth year.

That will make it 4 bugs in the shack. 3 Vibroplexes and a Johnson, but I had to, right? It was my birth year!

(More photos when it arrives from Ohio. Oh, and regarding the heaven help me: the same guy is selling a pristine blue base, Blue Racer with a Varispeed. I’m watching it.)

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:11 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:01 pm
Jocose wrote:

I did:

Heaven help me ...

I just bought another bug. It is a 1948 Champion - the economy model. I wasn’t planning to get another bug, but this one was pristine. And made in my birth year.

That will make it 4 bugs in the shack. 3 Vibroplexes and a Johnson, but I had to, right? It was my birth year!

(More photos when it arrives from Ohio. Oh, and regarding the heaven help me: the same guy is selling a pristine blue base, Blue Racer with a Varispeed. I’m watching it.)

ONE WORD:
She's a beauty!

Congrats!

I've found that a bug needs a steady desk/table. The chair I use for portable operations is not conducive to a bug.

I cant wait to get a proper Ham Shack up and running.

In other news, I got an email from Bruna the other day, the Turtle Expedition should be here next week, currently she's sitting in France.

Looking forward to pics of your new birth year Bug (and Blue Racer?)

dit dit

or more like ditditditditditditditditditditditditditditditditditditditditditdit
if sent from my bug :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:45 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:11 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:01 pm
Jocose wrote:

I did:

Heaven help me ...

ONE WORD:
She's a beauty!

Congrats!

I've found that a bug needs a steady desk/table. The chair I use for portable operations is not conducive to a bug.

I cant wait to get a proper Ham Shack up and running.

In other news, I got an email from Bruna the other day, the Turtle Expedition should be here next week, currently she's sitting in France.

Looking forward to pics of your new birth year Bug (and Blue Racer?)

dit dit

or more like ditditditditditditditditditditditditditditditditditditditditditdit
if sent from my bug :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes. A solid table is a must.

You are going to love your new paddles.

The customer service at Begali (which is Bruna) is as terrific as their keys.
I met her and Piero at Dayton in 2005. They are genuinely warm.

I’m not buying the Blue Racer. It’s getting to high.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:43 am

The Blue Racer (with a Varispeed, missing the red lens) - went for $239.50. It was of fairly recent manufacture.
A new one currently sells for $232.95.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:36 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:43 am
The Blue Racer (with a Varispeed, missing the red lens) - went for $239.50. It was of fairly recent manufacture.
A new one currently sells for $232.95.
:confused:

Must have been a bidding war going on.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:46 pm

I chased 5 summits today in OR, CA, WY, AZ and WA

4 with 10 watts and the one 1 in WA with 100 w ( I could hear him but he couldnt hear me on the QRP rig so an antenna swap to the Yaesu fixed that)

I'm not sure what's going on with the Yaesu, a paddle will not work with it. I've *monkeyed (pun intended) with the menu settings for a paddle setting but just cant get it to work, not sure if it's the cable or something else.

I haven't sent the broken tuner in to have it fixed yet and with the paddle issue I rarely use the Yaesu anymore.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:15 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:46 pm
I chased 5 summits today in OR, CA, WY, AZ and WA

4 with 10 watts and the one 1 in WA with 100 w ( I could hear him but he couldnt hear me on the QRP rig so an antenna swap to the Yaesu fixed that)

I'm not sure what's going on with the Yaesu, a paddle will not work with it. I've *monkeyed (pun intended) with the menu settings for a paddle setting but just cant get it to work, not sure if it's the cable or something else.

I haven't sent the broken tuner in to have it fixed yet and with the paddle issue I rarely use the Yaesu anymore.

Sorry you haven’t been able to figure out the problem with the Yaesu.
I hope it turns out to be something simple, and you can find it.

Good work on the SOTAs!

My Vibroplex Champion arrived today. I swear, it had never been touched before it got to me. There wasn’t a mark on it. The contacts were very badly oxidized, but that’s to be expected after 72 years. Other than that, it was immaculate. The guy who sold it to me described it as “Excellent pre-owned condition.” I would describe it as New Old Stock.

The Champion was known as the “Chevrolet” of the Vibroplex line. Back when the Original was selling for $15.95 and the Original Deluxe cost $19.50, the Champion sold for $9.95.

I connected it to my Yaesu, and I love it! Not only does it feel great to send with, its speed range is 16-26 WPM. It doesn’t need any kind of tamer to use for SKCC QSOs. I think I’m going to leave it plugged in all the time. I enjoy its “feel” as much as my Originals.

Here’s a Vibroplex ad from 1948: