ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by CW Spook » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

durangopipe wrote:
CW Spook wrote:
Jocose wrote:ImageImageImage

Day 3

Trying to learn @ 20 words per minute.
Keep at it. You'll get there, it just takes bit of time and it'll be well worth it in the end.
BTW, I just worked V73D in the Marshall Islands for my 86th country on RTTY, and this morning received my QSLs from E51MQT on the North Cook Islands for contacts on 80, 40, 30, 20, 17 & 12 meters. I just need 9 more countries confirmed for DXCC on 40...got all the higher bands finished.

Very Cool! Both of you.

CW Spook, you're way ahead of me . . .
I've been pretty low-key regarding DXCC for the past decade or so.

I'm at 200 confirmed, total. All bands. No DXCC on any one band, but I do have CW and Phone certificates.

198 officially with the ARRL--haven't sent in an update in a while. Confirmed 6V7F in Senegal on 20m and ZL8X on Kermadec (on 20m and 15m in 2010--I just realized looking at the card) since my last update. Should do it--that "200" sticker would be nice to have.

You're inspiring me!
Just keep on keeping on. The stuff is out there. Since I made the original post, I've completed my single-band DXCCs for 40m & RTTY (both at 115 now), and have over 200 on 10, 15, & 20; 179 on 17, and 170 on 12, and a Mixed total of 298. I ordered my DXCC Challenge award plaque this week, where I now stand 1229 total. I'm looking forward to the 300 endorsement and have a goal for the year of hitting 1500 Challenge points, though that will be quite a bit more work with the band conditions as they are.

73 de W0FG
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

Oldtom
Usher
Usher

Post by Oldtom » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:45 am

I renewed my ARRL membersip & rejoined RSGB, I am also a member of GQRP & QRP-ARCI. I have subscribed to various magazines over the years, have loads of old paper magazines, I am so grateful for online magazines. Though I am only SwL on Websdr, I am looking forward to getting my Stealth Shack together in the loft for QRP datamodes, and maybe some satellite & datamode SOTA interests me and getting onto beaches for Tx'ing, happy days, enjoy folks, best 73's. de G6EQL.
PS . I have just joined WACRAL, a Christian Association of hams, a great blessing , they have a beautiful ham Christian prayer.
Fruits of the herbs , fruits of the grain , fruits of the vine. The triune knot.
When in Rome do as the Romans do.
Felix Culpa.
Peace Britannia.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:53 pm

Been meaning to get this up . . .

A few photos of the home-brew HF antennas here at W0AZ.

Center support of the open-wire fed 172' Doublet (the 2m collinear is factory made):

HF Vertical very effective from 20m-10m:

Base matching for HF Vertical (HV doorknob clipped to lower variable cap. support allows use on 80m & 40m when shunted with the variable cap.):

That's a chunk of truck tire inner tube on top of the box--several times the box has been beaten to death by hail!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:02 pm

Damn, the only thing I managed to do lately was order and receive my ARRL Field Day Mug and Pin (for the Operatin' Hat).

Need to try my hand at some Satellite work soon...
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Oldtom
Usher
Usher

Post by Oldtom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:18 pm

"Been meaning to get this up . . .

A few photos of the home-brew HF antennas here at W0AZ.

Center support of the open-wire fed 172' Doublet (the 2m collinear is factory made): "

That seems a dream location for me a city rat here in the UK. But it is ok, the grass always seeems greener, as they say. good dx'ing 73's de G6EQL

PS what is the latest for QRP eme, talking of satellites, again on swl not tx.
Fruits of the herbs , fruits of the grain , fruits of the vine. The triune knot.
When in Rome do as the Romans do.
Felix Culpa.
Peace Britannia.

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:36 pm

I look forward to freebanding with y'all soon.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:00 pm

AES is going out of business: http://cqnewsroom.blogspot.com/2016/07/ ... ref=tw&m=1

ropped by yesterday. The guys there don't know why the doors are closing. NO sales going on until probably (they think) a flurry of clearance deals at or around the 29th as they close up on the 31st.

They spend most of their day answering "is this real, is this a hoax" emails and calls.

Even so, I picked up a Kenwood TS-480SAT demo unit.
Rgrds,
Joe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:09 pm

Congratulations on the new rig, Pepik, and thanks for the word about AES.
Hard to believe they'd be in financial difficulty. I wonder what happened.

I was a Yaesu man for a long time, but became fond of Kenwoods when I bought my Elmer's 440. He'd just upgraded to an 850.
This is all pre-roofing, pre-digital filtering, but the Kenwood 250 Hz crystal CW filter is excellent. Hope it keeps ticking!

Enjoy the 480.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:11 pm

And as abruptly as that happened, so did this:
Ham Radio Outlet - Press Release for Immediate Release
July 12, 2016
RE: HRO-Milwaukee, Amateur Electronic Supply's closing on 7/28/2016
On July 1, 2016 Amateur Electronic Supply (AES) made the decision to close down their entire organization and terminate all retail operations at their Las Vegas, Cleveland, Orlando and Milwaukee locations.
Upon hearing the news, and with the concurrence of AES senior management, Ham Radio Outlet (HRO) sent senior management to each location to interview the staff with hopes of acquiring some of the Amateur Radio retail employee talent in each of the current AES locations.
Together with this interview process, HRO examined what it would take to perhaps acquire one or more of the AES store locations. At the time of these interviews, many opportunities were explored with current AES senior management.
We are very excited to announce that HRO was successful in providing offers of employment to a number of soon to be former AES employees and that to some, we have offered positions that involve HRO sponsored and funded relocation.
We are also extremely pleased to announce that, after the closing of the Milwaukee AES location on July 28, 2016, Ham Radio Outlet will begin an extensive remodeling project to create the largest Amateur Radio retail showroom in North America. We will open our newest and largest Ham Radio Outlet in Milwaukee at the end of August 2016.
Effective at the closing of AES on July 28, 2016, all former AES locations' direct telephone numbers and toll free telephone numbers will be redirected to the closest HRO location so as to not disrupt providing service to the AES customer base. Additionally effective on July 28, 2016, the www.aesham.com website will be directed to www.hamradio.com also so as not to disrupt service for the AES online customer base.
Steve Gilmore, National Sales Manager for HRO states, "We are extremely excited to have a store in the Central Northern part of the United States. It will minimize shipping times for our products to be able to be delivered in 2 days or less in most of the lower 48 United States. We are building a showplace that all must come see! It will be expansive with massive inventory levels and a large all encompassing demonstration area featuring nearly all of the Amateur Radio transceivers on the market today."
Robert Ferrero, President of HRO tells us, "It is with great pleasure that we are able to continue Terry Sterman and Phil Majerus' legacy of providing a fantastic Amateur Radio store in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It is our immediate goal to have the largest, most well stocked Amateur Radio retail store in North America and perhaps even the world."
HRO is a family owned business with 14 sales locations throughout the United States which includes a formidable presence on the Internet, making it the largest Ham Radio dealership in the world.
HRO has been continually expanding with our most recent location in Plano, Texas which opened on February 2, 2015. HRO is also continuing to evolve with the relocation and expansion of our Portland store which will open on July 25, 2016 at 14405 SW Pacific Highway, Portland, Oregon 97224.
Ham Radio Outlet - Milwaukee is located at 5710 W Good Hope Rd, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It will be open for business at the end of August 2016.
http://www.hamradio.com/press-release.
Rgrds,
Joe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:26 pm

Very interesting.
Great for the AES employees who will still have jobs, and also for the Milwaukee Ham Radio community!

I've been mostly an HRO customer in recent years because of their store in Denver. We don't get up there very often--it's a 6 1/2 hour drive, but along with Cabela's, HRO was always on our must visit list.

bean_counter
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage

Post by bean_counter » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:31 pm

Hate to see AES go, but at least the Milwauke store will reopen as HRO.

Hadn't been there in many years, oddly enough I was going to try to drop in on one of my trips to SE Wisconsin this summer. Guess I'll visit HRO.
"It's the mark of civilized defecation" - hugodrax

"Perhaps Waste Should Be Left to the Professionals" - John-Boy

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:31 pm

Fellow US-based Hams - get busy!
From the Desk of the ARRL wrote:Greetings fellow hams,
I've met and or worked with you locally and ask for your consideration in making a significant change in local antenna restrictions. This issue deals with allowing antennas in deed-restricted neighborhoods, which impacts many local amateur operators.

Please click on the ARRL link below and send your message to Congress, it takes only a couple of minutes, but it can shape the future of amateur radio.

Also please pass this on to amateurs you know who would to do the same. If this bill is passed it will do away with all HOA, and deed restrictions to allow we hams to erect a proper antenna.

Thanks for your time.
--73--
Alan McDaniel / kd6arm

https://arrl.rallycongress.net/ctas/urg ... parity-act
Rgrds,
Joe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:35 pm

Pepik wrote:Fellow US-based Hams - get busy!
From the Desk of the ARRL wrote:Greetings fellow hams,
I've met and or worked with you locally and ask for your consideration in making a significant change in local antenna restrictions. This issue deals with allowing antennas in deed-restricted neighborhoods, which impacts many local amateur operators.

Please click on the ARRL link below and send your message to Congress, it takes only a couple of minutes, but it can shape the future of amateur radio.

Also please pass this on to amateurs you know who would to do the same. If this bill is passed it will do away with all HOA, and deed restrictions to allow we hams to erect a proper antenna.

Thanks for your time.
--73--
Alan McDaniel / kd6arm

https://arrl.rallycongress.net/ctas/urg ... parity-act
Done.
Great idea to post it here.

Good timing, too.
My Elmer is here from Chicago, staying with us for two weeks during fall color.

Jim, W9KV, was a broadcast engineer (actually, finally rose to become the head of technical services) at WBBM TV in Chicago from the 50s into the 80s, and he and his wife, Edie, retired in Durango.

Usually, you think of an Elmer as a mentor for new hams, and I'd been licensed for nearly 30 years when we met, but Jim was so far beyond me technically, and so willing to teach we began as ham buddies but he and Edie and my wife and I quickly became best friends.

Jim and Edie moved back to Chicago a few years ago to be closer to their kids because Edie's health was failing. Edie passed away last year at 85, and Jim has come out to visit twice now since her passing.

It's really wonderful to be able to spend time together.
But for ham radio, we never would have met.

W0AZ dit dit

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:08 pm

It's Field Day!

Seems we're only able to work MDC from IL on 15m and the East to South East coast on 20m (all SSB) so far. We'll see how 80 looks tonight when the sun's down.

Amazed we haven't heard 8-land yet.

Trying our luck on 6m.
Rgrds,
Joe

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:24 pm

-... .-. . .- -.- . .-. / -... .-. . .- -.- . .-. / .---- ----. / - .... .. ... / .. ... / .--- --- -.-. --- ... . / ..-. .
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:38 pm

- .... .- - .. ... ... --- --- --- --- --- --- -.-. -... -... -.- --. . - --- ..-. ..-. --- ..- .-. -... .- -. -.. ... -.-- --- ..- .-.. .. -.. -... -.-
Rgrds,
Joe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:55 pm

Glad you posted, Joe. Enjoyed the report.

I copied "breaker breaker 19" and stopped, Jo. Honestly, it's so damn easy to get licensed and be legal, and have fun - you should go for it.

Solar flux is 74
Upper HF bands are pretty poor.

80 and 40 should be good and active tonight and tomorrow morning. 20 should stay lit up for a while yet, and come back pretty strong before FD ends. It always does.

I used to operate QRP 2B, CW only on Field Day with my friend W9KV at 11,000' from a great mountain ridge location about 5 miles from my house. Zero man-made noise and terrific radio horizon. We did great.

He's back in Chicago now, and I haven't gotten on from home yet, but may tomorrow morning.

W0AZ

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Getting contacts on 40 and 80 now. 6 land is finally making it in to IL. Lots of QSOs.
Rgrds,
Joe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:04 am

Pepik wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:16 pm
Getting contacts on 40 and 80 now. 6 land is finally making it in to IL. Lots of QSOs.
Sounds good!

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:11 pm

Just updated my "shack" photo for QRZ.com after moving the boat anchor station out ...

Any new hams join the forum since the last post here in 2017?

de W0AZ

dit dit