ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:42 pm

My wife has me cleaning out the garage to make room for a nice metal cabinet she brought home when she moved into a smaller space when she mostly retired and downsized her clinic.

In the process, I found a ton of stuff that had gone missing, like the battery packs for her 30 year old 2m handheld. I have a similarly aged Kenwood TH-28A. We used to use them to keep In touch with each other (she’s KB0NLN) before cell phones. I popped some new AAs into the AA battery pack and easily got into the local repeaters with the rubber duck.

Now we’ve got two working 2m HTs again - that we’ll likely never use. :D
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:49 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:42 pm
My wife has me cleaning out the garage to make room for a nice metal cabinet she brought home when she moved into a smaller space when she mostly retired and downsized her clinic.

In the process, I found a ton of stuff that had gone missing, like the battery packs for her 30 year old 2m handheld. I have a similarly aged Kenwood TH-28A. We used to use them to keep In touch with each other (she’s KB0NLN) before cell phones. I popped some new AAs into the AA battery pack and easily got into the local repeaters with the rubber duck.

Now we’ve got two working 2m HTs again - that we’ll likely never use. :D
Well, that is cool to at least have them and they are still working.

I haven't used my Yaesu dual band HT in a long long while, I bought it before I was licensed not really knowing that I'd be CW only down the road.

It is nice to have a super portable and efficient means of communication at the ready.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:23 pm

D4Z (Cape Verde) Club Log match just in, now waiting on LoTW

It looks like our Steve has worked D4Z on 20m phone and CW before, no surprise, who HASNT Steve worked???

EDIT: LoTW now confirmed.

I know not that big of a deal for the old timers but I am sure excited about this one!
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:44 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:23 pm
D4Z (Cape Verde) Club Log match just in, now waiting on LoTW

It looks like our Steve has worked D4Z on 20m phone and CW before, no surprise, who HASNT Steve worked???

EDIT: LoTW now confirmed.

I know not that big of a deal for the old timers but I am sure excited about this one!
And well you should be.
That’s great!

(I’ve also got D4C on 40 CW.)

Here’s their antenna farm:

And who haven’t I worked?
A LOT! A whole lot. Trust me.

But I’m hoping to break 300, maybe honor roll before the sun goes to sleep again. I’ll be fully retired soon and have a lot of extra time on my hands. :)
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:25 am

A very rewarding contact this morning with EH2EUS (EUS for Euskara - the language of the Basque People of northern Spain/Southern France), a special event station for International Basque Language Day.

For many years, when I was a full time at the college, I taught semantics. Each semester we had a group of exchange linguistics students from the University of Bilbao who took my course. They were all extraordinary students and their presence in a semantics class was especially rewarding. All of them were fluent in Euskara, which is a language with no certain history or known connection to any other European language!

Many of them have gone on to become professors of language in Spain.
I can't wait to add this QSL card to my collection!

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:22 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:25 am
A very rewarding contact this morning with EH2EUS (EUS for Euskara - the language of the Basque People of northern Spain/Southern France), a special event station for International Basque Language Day.

For many years, when I was a full time at the college, I taught semantics. Each semester we had a group of exchange linguistics students from the University of Bilbao who took my course. They were all extraordinary students and their presence in a semantics class was especially rewarding. All of them were fluent in Euskara, which is a language with no certain history or known connection to any other European language!

20 m?
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:22 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:25 am

20 m?
Very cool, thanks for sharing.
Yes. 20m.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:06 pm

Here's one I need, recently activated:

Jan Mayan a Norwegian possession midway between Norway and Greenland. It's been occupied and activated from Jan Mayan Station by a researcher there, Erik Sommerseth (LA2US) as JX2US.

They had a bit of a snowstorm this week.

It's not activated very often. Many of the entities I still need are in this category. I have worked everything else on this map, including Iceland, Greenland, Norway, Sweden, the Faroe Islands and Svalbard - all of which are relatively easy to get because there are hams there all of the time.

I have my 7300 on with the volume off on the frequency where he's been spotted when he's on (right now at 7.022) and if a trace shows up on my bandscope I'll drop whatever I'm doing and hope to get him.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:06 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:06 pm

Jan Mayan a Norwegian possession midway between Norway and Greenland. It's been occupied and activated from Jan Mayan Station by a researcher there, Erik Sommerseth (LA2US) as JX2US.

It's not activated very often. Many of the entities I still need are in this category. I have worked everything else on this map, including Iceland, Greenland, Norway, Sweden, the Faroe Islands and Svalbard - all of which are relatively easy to get because there are hams there all of the time.

I have my 7300 on with the volume off on the frequency where he's been spotted when he's on (right now at 7.022) and if a trace shows up on my bandscope I'll drop whatever I'm doing and hope to get him.
I feel like a fisherman telling stories about the one that got away.

This is the one I worked a while back on 40, he asked several times for a repeat of my call, there was a lot of noise and I hoped he got it correctly.. I kept an eye on LoTW and I'ts not been confirmed after his last upload.

Good luck, I hope you get him!

I'll be listening when I can, wish me luck too.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:30 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:06 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:06 pm

I feel like a fisherman telling stories about the one that got away.

This is the one I worked a while back on 40, he asked several times for a repeat of my call, there was a lot of noise and I hoped he got it correctly.. I kept an eye on LoTW and I'ts not been confirmed after his last upload.

Good luck, I hope you get him!

I'll be listening when I can, wish me luck too.
Dang!
That was a big one that got away.
Good luck.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:13 pm

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:52 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:13 pm
And to you and yours. :D

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:55 pm

A DXer’s Christmas

(With apologies to Clement Clarke Moore)

‘Twas the night before Christmas,
and all through the house
The “Harmonics” were sleeping,
and so was the spouse;
The antennas were hung
from the chimney with care
in hopes that some signals
would come through the air;
The receivers were nestled
all neat in a row, With filters and tuners
all ready to go;
With a strong cup of coffee,
sitting at my right hand,
I had just settled in to some radio band,
When out of my headphones
there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my desk
to see what was the matter.
Away to the window
I flew like a flash,
To determine the cause of this odd static crash.
The Moon on the breast
of the new -fallen snow,
Gave my antenna wires an unusual glow;
When what to my wondering
eyes should appear,
But a weird little sleigh
and eight tiny reindeer.
With a strange little driver,
who looked like a “Hippie,”
I though for a moment
my brain had gone dippy.
More rapid than eagles
his coursers they came,
And he wheezed, and he cursed, as he called them by name: “Now Ten-Tec! Now Icom!
Now Yaesu and Philips!
On Grundig! On Sony!
On Kenwood and Collins!
Watch out for the porch!
Watch out for the wall!
Stay out of the way,
and don’t let me fall!”
As dry leaves that before
the wild hurricane ride,
When they met with an obstacle,
they kicked it aside.
So up to the house -top
the coursers they flew,
And got tangled in wire;
the old Hippie did too.
And then, in a twinkling
I heard through the ceiling, a great deal of cursing,
and swearing, and squealing.
As I shook my head,
and hollered out “Stop!”
Down the chimney the bearded one
fell with a plop.
He was dressed all in denim,
from his headphones to tail,
His clothes smelled like sweatsocks,
and his breath like cheap ale;
The stump of a stogie
he held tight in his teeth.
And the rancid smoke circled
his head like a wreath;
He had a fat face
and a great big beer -belly,
That shook when he burped,
like a bowlful of jelly.
He spoke not a word
but went straight to his work,
Opened up my receiver,
and tuned with a jerk.
Then sticking a finger
inside of his nose,
And giving a burp,
up the chimney he rose. The receiver it squealed,
and gave out a whistle,
And the stations I heard that night,
would fill an epistle.
And I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
“Happy DX, Old Man,
next time, leave on a light!”

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:06 pm

Worked VK3MO outside of Melbourne, long path on 20M this afternoon.

I think this is why he could hear me:

5/5/5/5 20M monobanders on a rotating 200' tower!

(That's what I really want for Christmas!)

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:15 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:06 pm
Worked VK3MO outside of Melbourne, long path on 20M this afternoon.

I think this is why he could hear me:

5/5/5/5 20M monobanders on a rotating 200' tower!

(That's what I really want for Christmas!)
WOOT!

I'd like his view towards Europe!

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:51 pm

And just now ...

Dennis, VK4SX in Bundaberg, Queensland - also long path. (7300 and the Acom @ ~650W PEP)

We worked back in the spring of 2019, short path (right after I'd gotten the 7300) and had an opening for nearly an hour-long ragchew in a roundtable of old-timer reminiscing with Don, K3MTG, near Philadelphia. I think the SFI was still in the 60s! It was a pretty remarkable opening.

We couldn't talk long today - big pileup and lots of others waiting - but it was nice to reconnect!

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:31 am

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:50 pm

Is Long path only based on antenna direction? I heard a guy send "LP" after a DX station QSL and wondered if he was
sending Long path..

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:02 pm

Yes.

It’s a matter of propagation, and those with directional antennas will point them in the opposite direction to short or direct path when long path is working.

Right now, the path to the US (mostly the eastern and southeastern US) from Australia opens as long path in our afternoon. When the DX station calls “QRZ beaming long path” it means that their antenna is pointed 180 deg opposite direct or short path, and if you want to be heard you should do the same.

I’ve been hearing both Ian and Dennis on long path every afternoon recently.

My doublet has 4 major lobes on 20m, one happens to point toward Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific by short path, and another points in that direction long path.

You can imagine that Ian’s 5/5/5/5 array on 20 is highly directional with an extreme amount of signal rejection off the back. If he’s beaming long path and you have a directional antenna, should you aim at him directly not only would propagation be working against you, but his extreme front to back would mean he’d never hear you.

That’s why the DX station will announce when they’re beaming long path.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:19 pm

Ok, I am serious about getting into this. I'm totally ignorant on the subject but I ordered the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual on Kindle. I might get the book version. I've got a lot of learning to do and I started by watching a intro video on Youtube where I found out it is good to join a local club and find an mentor (Elmer?). There is no club near me so I was wondering if any of you guys would help me out with questions when I get started. I also found that I can take the test online which sounds good to me but I wouldn't mind driving for a few hours to take it at a club if that is better. Anyway, I have a lot to learn. Any help would be appreciated.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"