ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:26 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:19 pm
Ok, I am serious about getting into this. I'm totally ignorant on the subject but I ordered the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual on Kindle. I might get the book version. I've got a lot of learning to do and I started by watching a intro video on Youtube where I found out it is good to join a local club and find an mentor (Elmer?). There is no club near me so I was wondering if any of you guys would help me out with questions when I get started. I also found that I can take the test online which sounds good to me but I wouldn't mind driving for a few hours to take it at a club if that is better. Anyway, I have a lot to learn. Any help would be appreciated.
Hamstudy.org has everything you need to study and pass the test (free). Once you begin to pass the practice tests at 85% or better, you are ready to test.

Good luck, hope to see you on the bands soon.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:51 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:26 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Ok, I am serious about getting into this. I'm totally ignorant on the subject but I ordered the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual on Kindle. I might get the book version. I've got a lot of learning to do and I started by watching a intro video on Youtube where I found out it is good to join a local club and find an mentor (Elmer?). There is no club near me so I was wondering if any of you guys would help me out with questions when I get started. I also found that I can take the test online which sounds good to me but I wouldn't mind driving for a few hours to take it at a club if that is better. Anyway, I have a lot to learn. Any help would be appreciated.
Hamstudy.org has everything you need to study and pass the test (free). Once you begin to pass the practice tests at 85% or better, you are ready to test.

Thanks. I'm going to give it my best shot. I stink at math though so we'll see.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:46 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:51 pm
Jocose wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:26 pm
Stanley76 wrote:

Thanks. I'm going to give it my best shot. I stink at math though so we'll see.
Jo and I are here - and there are a few others who know a great deal who might chime in to help as well.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:12 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:46 pm

Jo and I are here -
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:12 pm
durangopipe wrote:

Jo and I are here -
The resemblance is uncanny.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:30 pm

Thanks y'all.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:00 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:22 pm
Jocose wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:12 pm
durangopipe wrote:

Jo and I are here -
The resemblance is uncanny.
:rotfl:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:41 am

I've ordered the Technician Exam manual and went ahead and downloaded the Kindle version so I could get started and bookmarked Hamstudy. I have a lot to learn but have absorbed at least some of the basics of how radio works. I am no where near taking any exam or even further from buying any equipment but this old laptop is on it's last legs and I've been thinking about replacing it for a while anyway.

Is there any computer that is best or better for Ham radio? I'm talking about desk top or laptop? Or maybe Apple or PC? Operating Systems? I'd like to stick with a laptop but if a desktop is better that would be fine. Thanks.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:11 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:41 am
I've ordered the Technician Exam manual and went ahead and downloaded the Kindle version so I could get started and bookmarked Hamstudy. I have a lot to learn but have absorbed at least some of the basics of how radio works. I am no where near taking any exam or even further from buying any equipment but this old laptop is on it's last legs and I've been thinking about replacing it for a while anyway.

Is there any computer that is best or better for Ham radio? I'm talking about desk top or laptop? Or maybe Apple or PC? Operating Systems? I'd like to stick with a laptop but if a desktop is better that would be fine. Thanks.
Down the road, there are many applications for ham use. I’m mostly a Mac guy, but a lot of the ham software is only written for PCs. Consequently, I do most of my work on a Mac or iPad, but I have a Dell laptop for running ham software.

I got a refurbished laptop pretty cheaply - less than $200 if I remember correctly. One good thing: most ham software does not require a great amount of processing power.

I also got a used, 23" HP monitor to plug into the laptop. It cost around $60, if I remember correctly. With it, I can have three windows open and all remain fairly large.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:48 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:11 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:41 am

Down the road, there are many applications for ham use. I’m mostly a Mac guy, but a lot of the ham software is only written for PCs. Consequently, I do most of my work on a Mac or iPad, but I have a Dell laptop for running ham software.

I got a refurbished laptop pretty cheaply - less than $200 if I remember correctly. One good thing: most ham software does not require a great amount of processing power.

I also got a used, 23" HP monitor to plug into the laptop. It cost around $60, if I remember correctly. With it, I can have three windows open and all remain fairly large.

Thank you. i appreciate it.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:04 pm

“Science Daily” wrote: In direct contradiction to the official forecast, a team of scientists led by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) is predicting that the Sunspot Cycle that started this fall could be one of the strongest since record-keeping began.

In a new article published in Solar Physics, the research team predicts that Sunspot Cycle 25 will peak with a maximum sunspot number somewhere between approximately 210 and 260, which would put the new cycle in the company of the top few ever observed.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 142308.htm

Maybe the famous Solar Cycle 19 repeats? Or (may we dream?) even better! You could work around the world back then - pretty much all day - with 10W and a dipole on 10M. 20 meters was open around the clock. 15 too. 6 meters then was like 20 meters now. No. It was much better!

Or so I’ve been told by older old timers. I caught 19 on the downside.

But then if the NCAR dudes are right (and everyone else is wrong), during the peak (around July 2025) the power grid might have a few problems, GPS will become unreliable, communication satellites will regularly fail ... But hey, DX will be awesome! (If you have backup power.)

And if they're wrong and the scientific consensus is correct (that we’re entering a long-term solar minimum), DX will improve some for 5 or 6 years (never really get great), and then suck again.

Who knows?

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:40 pm

Worked Greenland (OX3XR) and Martinique (FM/F6BCW) within minutes of each other on 20M CW earlier this afternoon. Interesting propagation!

More interesting maybe, I had my Icom set up as the driver for my Acom amp at 50W and was waiting for the amp to warm up. Both stations were weak - barely registering on my S meter - but both answered on the first call, at 50W, before the amp was online.

Now that the sun is waking up, I may not be so quick to turn on the amp in the future.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:49 pm

:chili:

Things are looking good!

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:24 pm

I've been on hamstudy and I joined ARRL and have been on that site. I bought the ARRL kindle version of the manual but ordered the book version and got it today. I'm taking it slow and really studying for the first time in fifty or so years, rereading every chapter three times. There's so much to learn. I know absolutely nothing about this subject but I'm really enjoying find out how ignorant I am. There's so much more to it than I ever imagined and I'm just studying the very basic stuff. I want to pass the exam and get my license before I even start thinking about equipment. I am scoping places in my house where I can set everything up. I've been scrolling back on this thread and am really excited about learning this. I guess I'm obsessive/compulsive a bit. My whole life, I'll get interested in something (from learning to fly, sailing/navigation/photography/dark room, to guitar, to mountain climbing and so on) and then I'll get obsessed with it and go nuts until I accomplish the goal. This is going to be one of those obsessions. I can feel it and I haven't done that in a while. I didn't realize how much I missed it. I feel like a second grader in the lunch room with high school kids when I read this thread. Ha ha.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:34 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:24 pm
I've been on hamstudy and I joined ARRL and have been on that site. I bought the ARRL kindle version of the manual but ordered the book version and got it today. I'm taking it slow and really studying for the first time in fifty or so years, rereading every chapter three times. There's so much to learn. I know absolutely nothing about this subject but I'm really enjoying find out how ignorant I am. There's so much more to it than I ever imagined and I'm just studying the very basic stuff. I want to pass the exam and get my license before I even start thinking about equipment. I am scoping places in my house where I can set everything up. I've been scrolling back on this thread and am really excited about learning this. I guess I'm obsessive/compulsive a bit. My whole life, I'll get interested in something (from learning to fly, sailing/navigation/photography/dark room, to guitar, to mountain climbing and so on) and then I'll get obsessed with it and go nuts until I accomplish the goal. This is going to be one of those obsessions. I can feel it and I haven't done that in a while. I didn't realize how much I missed it. I feel like a second grader in the lunch room with high school kids when I read this thread. Ha ha.
That’s wonderful, Stanley!

Learning something that's entirely new to you is both a big challenge and a great thrill. It’s terrific to hear and share your joy and enthusiasm.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:58 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:34 pm
Stanley76 wrote:

Learning something that's entirely new to you is both a big challenge and a great thrill. It’s terrific to hear and share your joy and enthusiasm.
+1
Take several practice tests a day and you'll be surprised just how quickly you'll be ready to pass the real test. You can be ready in a week or 2, easy.
Then comes the radios! (and morse keys if you decide to go CW)

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:31 am

Jocose wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:58 am
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

+1
Take several practice tests a day and you'll be surprised just how quickly you'll be ready to pass the real test. You can be ready in a week or 2, easy.
I'm looking forward to that phase (see I'm learning new words already). I'm a gear freak, from tools to guns to knives, to guitars to whatever, I love stuff. I'll be pestering the crap out of you guys when it comes to that. I've been checking out some of y'all's cool equipment on this thread like those CW (another new term I learned!) keys y'all have. I will tackle learning Morse Code at some point but that is way way way in the future. First I have to learn the metric system.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:31 am
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

+1
I'm looking forward to that phase (see I'm learning new words already). I'm a gear freak, from tools to guns to knives, to guitars to whatever, I love stuff. I'll be pestering the crap out of you guys when it comes to that. I've been checking out some of y'all's cool equipment on this thread like those CW (another new term I learned!) keys y'all have. I will tackle learning Morse Code at some point but that is way way way in the future. First I have to learn the metric system.
The technicians exam is 35 questions based on a pool of 400 questions.

Just by taking the practice exams only, one can learn and be ready in almost no time at all, I promise.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:26 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:50 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:31 am
Jocose wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

+1
The technicians exam is 35 questions based on a pool of 400 questions.

Just by taking the practice exams only, one can learn and be ready in almost no time at all, I promise.
I second this. You can pass the test by getting familiar with the question pool. All of it will make even more sense once you have the license and get on the air.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:34 pm

Speaking of "gear", today's shack project ...

I recently discovered that mic booms have gotten very inexpensive now that everyone and their mother is using them online, to produce podcasts ... whatever.

I found this one on eBay for about a third of what a similar boom from Heil currnetly costs:

It was designed for heavier mics (the mic in the photo is a Hell, not the boom). I had a bit of PVC pipe laying around that I'd used for spreaders on an old antenna project. I plugged the ends and the holes in the sides with some coax seal, filled it with lead shot and fastened it to the boom with velcro strips.

Voilá, a perfectly balanced mic boom:

It swings up high and out of the way for CW, and sits right next to my mouth, hands free, for logging, note taking and future contesting on sideband.

WooHoo!