ham radio operators?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25023
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:54 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:34 pm
Speaking of "gear", today's shack project ...

I recently discovered that mic booms have gotten very inexpensive now that everyone and their mother is using them online, to produce podcasts ... whatever.

I found this one on eBay for about a third of what a similar boom from Heil currnetly costs:

Image

It was designed for heavier mics (the mic in the photo is a Hell, not the boom). I had a bit of PVC pipe laying around that I'd used for spreaders on an old antenna project. I plugged the ends and the holes in the sides with some coax seal, filled it with lead shot and fastened it to the boom with velcro strips.

Voilá, a perfectly balanced mic boom:

Image

It swings up high and out of the way for CW, and sits right next to my mouth, hands free, for logging, note taking and future contesting on sideband.

WooHoo!
In the words of the great JimVH...

Boom.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:54 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:34 pm
Speaking of "gear", today's shack project ...

I recently discovered that mic booms have gotten very inexpensive now that everyone and their mother is using them online, to produce podcasts ... whatever.

I found this one on eBay for about a third of what a similar boom from Heil currnetly costs:

Image

It was designed for heavier mics (the mic in the photo is a Hell, not the boom). I had a bit of PVC pipe laying around that I'd used for spreaders on an old antenna project. I plugged the ends and the holes in the sides with some coax seal, filled it with lead shot and fastened it to the boom with velcro strips.

Voilá, a perfectly balanced mic boom:

Image

It swings up high and out of the way for CW, and sits right next to my mouth, hands free, for logging, note taking and future contesting on sideband.

WooHoo!
In the words of the great JimVH...

Boom.
:rotfl:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:44 pm

My last eye exam ...

Image
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25023
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:38 pm

Image
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:45 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:38 pm
Image
:lol:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3135
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:05 pm

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25023
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:31 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:05 pm
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3135
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:46 am

Jocose wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:31 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:05 pm
Taking my Technicians test on Jan. 9, in person if all goes well. Then I want to study for the General but my real goal is to someday in the future learn CW. That goal was what got me moving on this journey. Merry Christmas and prayers to you.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:18 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:46 am
Jocose wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:31 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:05 pm
Taking my Technicians test on Jan. 9, in person if all goes well. Then I want to study for the General but my real goal is to someday in the future learn CW. That goal was what got me moving on this journey. Merry Christmas and prayers to you.
AA5TB is one helluva bug op!

That little Johnson Speed-X is a very underrated key. The one he’s using is the same one that was my first bug - got it in 1962. When I got the bug bug again I started looking for another one. That one was long gone. A good friend, KB0GBF, found a very dirty one with a few missing parts in a Denver thrift store and sent it to me. I got the missing parts for it from Vibroplex (they fit) and the local hardware store and cleaned it up:

Image

If you can find one, buy it! Usually they go for a lot less than Vibroplex bugs and as you can see in the video, they work beautifully.

Merry Christmas!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:24 pm

Great to hear you’re signed up for the Tech exam, Stanley.
Good luck!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25023
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:22 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:24 pm
Great to hear you’re signed up for the Tech exam, Stanley.
Good luck!
+1
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25023
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:23 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:18 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:46 am
Jocose wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:31 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:05 pm
Taking my Technicians test on Jan. 9, in person if all goes well. Then I want to study for the General but my real goal is to someday in the future learn CW. That goal was what got me moving on this journey. Merry Christmas and prayers to you.
AA5TB is one helluva bug op!

That little Johnson Speed-X is a very underrated key. The one he’s using is the same one that was my first bug - got it in 1962. When I got the bug bug again I started looking for another one. That one was long gone. A good friend, KB0GBF, found a very dirty one with a few missing parts in a Denver thrift store and sent it to me. I got the missing parts for it from Vibroplex (they fit) and the local hardware store and cleaned it up:

Image

If you can find one, buy it! Usually they go for a lot less than Vibroplex bugs and as you can see in the video, they work beautifully.

Merry Christmas!
Beautiful Bug, Steve.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3135
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:48 pm

Struggling with all these formulas, ohms, amps, watts, voltage, the symbols for components, etc. Working on it though. I contacted the person doing the registration for the exam in a town about 30 miles from me but I haven't heard back from him yet. The exam is on Jan. 9. I did get my FRN number and registered with the FCC. I'm still doing the Hamstudy study sessions and took one practice test (passed it barely but only because I was lucky in a lot of guesses). Lots and lots to learn just to have a chance at passing the exam and I'm thinking that's just the tip of the iceberg too. What's really got me nervous are all the algebra or calculus formulas.

I peeked at some stuff about antennas and ran away quickly. I think I'm going to keep going over the Hamstudy study sessions and then read the ARRL manual front to back and see if I can get some foundational knowledge that will make this stuff easier to understand and then go back to the Hamstudy and take more practice tests as I go. Good idea or bad?
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:10 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:48 pm
Struggling with all these formulas, ohms, amps, watts, voltage, the symbols for components, etc. Working on it though. I contacted the person doing the registration for the exam in a town about 30 miles from me but I haven't heard back from him yet. The exam is on Jan. 9. I did get my FRN number and registered with the FCC. I'm still doing the Hamstudy study sessions and took one practice test (passed it barely but only because I was lucky in a lot of guesses). Lots and lots to learn just to have a chance at passing the exam and I'm thinking that's just the tip of the iceberg too. What's really got me nervous are all the algebra or calculus formulas.

I peeked at some stuff about antennas and ran away quickly. I think I'm going to keep going over the Hamstudy study sessions and then read the ARRL manual front to back and see if I can get some foundational knowledge that will make this stuff easier to understand and then go back to the Hamstudy and take more practice tests as I go. Good idea or bad?
Everyone learn in their own way.
Do whatever works best for you.

Many years ago, there was no set of questions with answers and everyone had to learn the theory and use it to pass the tests. Now you can learn some theory in order for the test questions to make more sense, or you can familiarize yourself with the questions and the associated correct answers in the published test pool.

I believe a combination of the two (what you just suggested) is best.

As for the math, don’t let it frighten you. There is a little very basic algebra, but no math that isn’t well explained in the study guides. And unless the tests have changed dramatically while I wasn’t looking - no calculus. You won’t see anything beyond complex numbers for impedance calculations and they don’t appear until the extra class exam way down the road.

Examiners are almost always very supportive and friendly.

Old timers can tell you horror stories about the FCC examiners who used to give the exams at FCC offices in major cities you had to travel to. They gave me the distinct impression that they weren’t very fond of having to administer tests, and they were pretty intimidating.

Things are much more friendly now. If you should fail (which you probably won’t) you can take the test again at the same session having learned from your mistakes.

And when you do pass and get your license, you’ll know that you earned it.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:30 pm

ARRL RTTY Contest this weekend ...

Image

40m hopping is really right now, and filled with RTTY from 7.035 - 7.115.
I thought about getting into it, but decided against it. Not my thing and no DX on I need.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3135
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:14 am

Emilia's CW basics

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:33 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:14 am
Emilia's CW basics

1) Emilia’s dad made a very nice magnetic loop antenna.
2) Setting up a Begali Pearl as a sideswiper should be against the law (a hacksaw blade works better and doesn’t cost $350) - I blame her dad. :D
3) Someone from Child Welfare should contact them about making the bed before filming Youtube videos.
4) Emilia has a bright future in the infomercial business.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3135
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:55 pm

Still studying everyday. I take my exam this Saturday. I'm scoring over 90 on the practice tests. I'm starting to research what radio and other equipment to buy. I'll be pestering you guys about that once I pass my exam.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3135
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:57 pm

So I'm looking at transceivers and I'm thinking that to start out I'd be better off to get a handheld because (1) Price, (2) I can use it without stringing up some dipole antenna that I don't know crap about (but I will get a longer magnetic mount vehicle antenna). 3. I won't have to set up things like a power supply etc. because I can use integral batteries or plug it into my truck power outlet and (4) i plan on just listening and basically keeping my mouth shut to learn the ins and outs on the bands I'm allowed to use.

I plan on upgrading to a base unit and all that entails later when I've actually learned something. So far all I'm doing is basically studying exam questions to get past that. This is what I'm looking at. I can spend up to five or six hundred but if a less expensive transceiver would serve my purposes that would be great.

https://www.dxengineering.com/search/de ... =Ascending

Any recommendations?
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 25023
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: ham radio operators?

Post by Jocose » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:53 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:57 pm
So I'm looking at transceivers and I'm thinking that to start out I'd be better off to get a handheld because (1) Price, (2) I can use it without stringing up some dipole antenna that I don't know crap about (but I will get a longer magnetic mount vehicle antenna). 3. I won't have to set up things like a power supply etc. because I can use integral batteries or plug it into my truck power outlet and (4) i plan on just listening and basically keeping my mouth shut to learn the ins and outs on the bands I'm allowed to use.

I plan on upgrading to a base unit and all that entails later when I've actually learned something. So far all I'm doing is basically studying exam questions to get past that. This is what I'm looking at. I can spend up to five or six hundred but if a less expensive transceiver would serve my purposes that would be great.

https://www.dxengineering.com/search/de ... =Ascending

Any recommendations?
If you're thinking about a HT definitely take a look at a Baofeng, they're very inexpensive ($25-$30 ) on Amazon and if you decide that you want to go the HF CW route you'll have more pennies in yer pocket for a HF rig.

I bought a Yaesu HT before I was licensed and honestly I dont use it much, looking back I would have just saved my money for a HF radio, maybe something like Steve's ICOM 7300.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Post Reply